News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

You might be a Ren parent if.............

Started by ladyharrogate, June 01, 2009, 08:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladyharrogate

As a mom of four "faire kids" and the director of the childrens troupe at our local festival I thought this might be a fun one.  I could probably come up with a hundred of these LOL!

you might be a ren parent if.....
........your child took their first steps at faire
........your child has lost 4 of 5 baby teeth on faire grounds
........your kid knows all the lost boys songs (or any ren band) by heart
........on your birthday you've had a tricycle joust held in your honor
........your kids have more aunts and uncles than you can count
........the kids come home from school and change into their ren clothes to go play
........your kids know every verse to drunken sailor
........for seven weekends you have the luxury of perfectly behaved children because of one simple line "if you don't act right you wont go to festival this weekend"!
........you've ever had your children tell you you're the worst mom ever because you went to a faire without them.
........you're 8 and 9 year old daughters know how to bead their own gowns.
........your five year old daughter insists on her own "knight" gear and designs her own heraldry
........your five year old asks for a starfire sword for her birthday (and her uncle obliges, lets just say that one is put up where she can't reach it!)
........your childs teacher calls you and asks you to talk to your child about her use of an english accent when answering questions in class.
........the only professional pics you have of your kids are in garb
........your kids accept anyone no matter what their nationality, they overlook mental and physical disabilities and they don't care what people are wearing!

and number one
.........the happiest memories you've made with your kids have been spending weekends performing at or visiting a ren fest!

Hoowil

... you don't have time to make yourself new garb, but the children have multiple new sets each season.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

LadyShadow

Quote from: ladyharrogate on June 01, 2009, 08:38:35 AM
........the kids come home from school and change into their ren clothes to go play

Which is why all my lil ones are happy Momma can sew and patch.  Because they were doing whatever and something happened to their garb and now they dont know what to do.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

irishfolker

You've sung your grandchildren to sleep at the tavern along with the Pyrates Royale.  I've probably ruined them for life.  Nah, the foam sabres will do that for them!

ladyharrogate

I've done all those too LOL.  I'm sure there are pics out there from when my daughter was two, we were both in noble garb sitting by a tree, her sound asleep in my lap while I sang to her! 

Oh and I thought of another one...
............your son not only knows what a kilt is, he doesn't mind wearing one!

Dustin

...you have to remind your daughter not to sing "Bell Bottom Trousers" at school.
If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

Lady Renee Buchanan

Your 6 week old son sleeps peacefully the first day at faire when you're working in the booth, but the next day, the first signs of colic kick in, and the poor child cries the whole day.  Leading to a sign posted on his portable crib, "The Prince of Wails."
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Whistler Fred

Quote from: Dustin on June 01, 2009, 05:23:26 PM
...you have to remind your daughter not to sing "Bell Bottom Trousers" at school.

Or "All for Me Grog" at church (yes, our daughter did just that).

And...

...your daughter wears her chemise as a nightgown, because that what people would have done in the 16th Century.

...your son dresses in faire garb for "Back to the Eighties" week at high school.  "This is the eighties...1580 to be specific!"
Whistler Fred (Lauritzen)

"Get ready for the Whistler.  I'll whistle along on the seventh day."  Ian Anderson

ladyharrogate

ROTFLOL!!! 

My son got up in front of my extremely conservative pentacostal family at Christmas and proudly announced he was going to sing for them.  He started singing a "Lost Boys" song that goes "Drink Drink, we never drink, you'll have to do it for us cause we never never drink".  I think he was five at the time and it was hillarious, especially since my parents see drinking as one of the big sins.

Lady Renee Buchanan

When you get a call from a teacher wanted to know what your son means that you have dead people hanging all over your walls.

Had to explain that we do Medieval Brass Rubbing, and have the brass facsimiles as well as some rubbings hanging up.  Told her that they were effigies of knights, lords, and ladies.  The teacher was so fascinated that I ended up doing a brass rubbing workshop for the entire sixth grade.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Ginette

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on June 02, 2009, 05:54:47 AM
When you get a call from a teacher wanted to know what your son means that you have dead people hanging all over your walls.

Had to explain that we do Medieval Brass Rubbing, and have the brass facsimiles as well as some rubbings hanging up.  Told her that they were effigies of knights, lords, and ladies.  The teacher was so fascinated that I ended up doing a brass rubbing workshop for the entire sixth grade.

I wanna go to a brass rubbing workshop of yours!!   ;D
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

Adriana Rose

When I was preggers with my little one my first thought was what garb I was going to wear!

Then the next was what is the baby going to wear!

And then the whole aww wooden swords are soo cute... till they connect with your shins while you are doing laundry!

And you have a fox tail collection started for the little one before they are born!

Aaroncois

Quote from: Whistler Fred on June 01, 2009, 08:26:50 PM
...your son dresses in faire garb for "Back to the Eighties" week at high school.  "This is the eighties...1580 to be specific!"

That's awesome! LOL!

wyckdblyss

...7 month old survives his first faire (Scarby...Memorial Weekend), and even sleeps through most of the shows (even Cast in Bronze)...all while teething
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

Blue66669

Quote from: wyckdblyss on June 09, 2009, 01:44:26 PM
...7 month old survives his first faire (Scarby...Memorial Weekend), and even sleeps through most of the shows (even Cast in Bronze)...all while teething

O, that there was a cute lil behbeh! So precious!
Blaidd Drwg