News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

You might be a Ren parent if.............

Started by ladyharrogate, June 01, 2009, 08:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limey_tech

Your 6 year old daughter doesn't understand why they have to cancell the faire just because there is 2-3 inches of standing water on site and the emergency bridge is almost under water...

She thinks growing up to be a Limeybird should be every little girl's dream...

She is trying to recruit her friends to join the faire...

At six, she knows more about swordfighting than any non-rennie adult I know
Jason D. Smallen aka Kathryn's Daddy

dragongirl

Your 10 year old niece throws a major fit because she is told that she will be wearing a pink satin Sleeping Beauty Disney costume as Maid Marion for her class play.  She totally refuses and insist that "Aunt B" come to her rescue with a more H/A chamise, overdress, and tradional veil. 

Your youngest nephew walks over to Marc Gunn in the middle of a house concert and ask him how he know the speacial some Aunt B sings for him.  The song in question, Old Dun Cow.   
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

ladyecho

~I too have used the 'if you don't behave I won't take you to faire this weekend'

~When you're 3 year old neice is dressed as a fairy, sees a 'grown-up' fairy in a tree at faire and begs you to help her into the tree because 'she's a fairy, too'

~later that same day said neice and her 4 year old sister try climbing another tree and then you have to come to the rescue because she has her foot stuck in the split of the tree

~You also get said nieces to behave at faire by telling them if they're not good you'll have the Pirates Kidnap them. . . . yes I did, I told my brother in law this and now when the 3 year old starts mis-behaving he'll go "Hey Kailee, is that a Pirate over there behind the tree?" Works everytime.

wyckdblyss

Your 19 month old refuses to go to sleep unless you sing "A Fairy Story"
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

Nighthawk

This is great! It's also so applicable to Scottish/Celtic festivals!

You might be a Scot/Celt/Ren Fest parent if...
Here are the ones that apply to my kids! With slight modification for the Scottish fest flair...

........My children took their first steps at faire
........My children has lost 4 of 5 baby teeth on faire grounds
........My children know all Albannach and Seven Nations (both old and new!) songs (or any ren band) by heart
........On my birthday I've had a sword duel held in my honor
........My children have more aunts and uncles than you can count (The Renaissance Scots!)
........My son comes home from school and changes into his Highland shirt and grabs his bow to go play
........My children know every verse to drunken sailor
........for seven weekends you have the luxury of perfectly behaved children because of one simple line "if you don't act right you wont go to festival this weekend"! (Works best with my son- he's an apprentice blacksmith and gets to show off his skill to all the girls at festivals!)
........you've ever had your children tell you you're the worst mom ever because you went to a faire without them.
........Your 10 year old nephew asks for a cutlass sword and pirate skull bracers for his birthday (and Uncle Nighthawk obliges, in spite of the fact that Mommy and Daddy think festivals, acting, singing, costuming, et all, are ridiculous and unmanly, and discourage us as much as possible!)
........My children's teachers call me and ask me to talk to my child about his use of a Scottish accent when answering questions in class.
........the only professional pics we have of our kids are in garb

........your kids accept anyone no matter what their nationality, they overlook mental and physical disabilities and they don't care what people are wearing!
.........The happiest memories we've made with our kids have been spending weekends performing at or visiting a ren fest!

And a new one to add- You might be a Festival parent if your 12 year old son is such a talented blacksmith that you have to fend Denver's Fjellborg Vikings off to keep them from kidnapping him!!  ;D Yes, Lodin and his crew have been threatening abduction for 2 years now...

and number one

.........You took your total 1980's kid wife, who before you had never even heard of Scottish, Irish, Celtic or Renaissance festivals, and made her a TOTAL fest junkie!

This one is my life and family, very well summed up.

Quote from: ladyharrogate on September 28, 2009, 10:45:00 PM
Um, that's $100 in orders, not 100 orders.  Didn't want anyone to misinterpret LOL

That's awesome!! My son and I are making a fire poker for a lady in our living history group- he's smithing it, and I'm making a handle and leather tip cover for it. Does that qualify us a faire family? :D

Quote from: Hoowil on October 01, 2009, 01:21:40 PM
Last week at a friends house warming party, my two and a half year old daughter walked up to me and said " Daddy, maybe when I'm older you could teach me to use swords." We were all laughing so hard, and wondering which was worse, that she asked that, or that in all honesty I told her ok, when she's older I'll teach her how to use a sword. Makes me wonder what it'll be like when my son gets old enough to talk.

Start teaching her now, man! The stances and focus can improve everything in her life- both mentally, and physically! The posture is great. I sprained both of my ankles at the beginning of summer, and I couldn't walk in anything other than a good stance. It made my life so much easier, and I healed faster than I think I otherwise would have. Everyone should study a martial art of some sort or other- it's the best thing I could have done for my son and myself.

Hey- Arent You?

HA! got a new one!
1/2 the year, you threaten for good behavior with "shall I call Santa?"
the other half, you threaten with "Shall I call Sir William?"

honestly, I think he would rather disappoint Santa, than Sir William (Lord of Whitehall)
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

Nighthawk

Quote from: Hey- Arent You? on August 06, 2010, 05:21:26 PM
HA! got a new one!
1/2 the year, you threaten for good behavior with "shall I call Santa?"
the other half, you threaten with "Shall I call Sir William?"

honestly, I think he would rather disappoint Santa, than Sir William (Lord of Whitehall)

You know what's funny? I may be getting on Sir William's good side next year. I have this design that I came up with for a sporran that has a Celtic cross. I've had it on the back burner because it totally looks like something he would wear. My OCD  ::) is demanding that I make it, but when I do, I can't wear it because all my friends will make fun of me. So at some point this winter, I'm going to make it to get it out of my d**ned head, and since I can't actually do anything else with it, I'll probably just end up giving it to Sir William next year!

Becky10

Your kid picks up a christmas tree skirt and asks if its a cape.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Rani Zemirah

Your kid turns the Christmas tree skirt INTO a cape... without asking!!!  :D 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lady Renee Buchanan

A parent's job well done:

When your almost 26 year old son still asks for garb for his birthday and totally rearranges his work schedule to be able to get to faire for at least 3 weekends this season, because some things are more important than making money.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Hoowil

Quote from: Becky10 on August 06, 2010, 11:52:51 PM
Your kid picks up a christmas tree skirt and asks if its a cape.
Or you find yourself color coding wrapping paper to match the kids garb so you can remember who's  christmas present is who's.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Lady Lil

not a ren parent but a ren aunt if..... we (me and 3 yr old) put armor (a sliver painted tee-shirt) on the family dog. dress up in garb with our weapon and go off into the woods (backyard) in search to slay the fire-breathing dragon.  At the end of the day he always says Aunt Felica "We get him next time" Man, I miss that kid, it's been almost 1 yr from the last time we played, but in my heart that dragon will always be there. 

Queen Genevieve

your child uses the word "gramecy"

your child uses broken lances to hang his clothes on
Queen Genevieve

kilteddispatcher

... If you've ever seen a toddler strut in a kilt.... first time I took my son to Scottish games, he was about 18 months old, put his first kilt on him, the bagpipe music started up... and away he went...
... if every year you try to convince the kids to wear faire garb just to make Halloween a bit easier on you... and they never do... but they never choose anything that can be bought!

LadyFae

If your 5 year old cries when you tell her Faire is over for the year and the only way to make her stop is to tell her that she cN wear any of her garb for Halloween.
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"