News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Character Creating

Started by Guyinthehall8, June 01, 2009, 10:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guyinthehall8

Ok, so I'm in need of developing a street character. I was thinking something along the lines of a pirate, thief, poet, bard, etc. etc. If any one has any suggestions or even good methods of sketching characters out, it would be greatly appreciated  ;D

Katie Bookwench

This street character is for peforming as part of Faire Cast, correct?

If so, tell us about the type of fair, and the kind of characters already established. That would help create ideas for your persona, and the relationship it might play with other characters in your 'village.' 
Katie O'Connell - Hollygrove Library
(aka The Bookwench)
Licensed Wench - IWG Local 57

Guyinthehall8

Well, I'm hoping to develop a character I can take and perform with at many faires, but this first one that I'm auditioning at is the Carolina Faire. I've been told it's a good idea to have a character developed to suggest to them and audition with (though I'm very aware they sometimes just stick you in whatever position they need filled) so for now I'm just looking for a great character that could stand alone and be entertaining, but also could fit into and interact with whatever group is around, if that makes any sense at all, haha.

Katie Bookwench

Ok, to begin with, you might want to take into account the type of faire it is, in relation to what sort of character you choose.

For instance, a fantasy faire might be a good fit for a wizard's apprentice, whereas a more historical faire might not want a character like that - in that case, a baker or chandler might be more appropriate.

The best idea is to have a character that has a good reason to be in the village that day (or every day), and a good reason to talk to people. That gives you the most opportunities to interact with patrons. I find that a character with a clear occupation rather than someone who is idle -- It's easier to be a chandler looking to sell his new line of ear wax candles than a royal person looking for their next hobby.

That's just me, but if you're a beginner, it's good to have an occupation to lend focus to your interacting angles.

To make my current character, I asked myself what sorts of things I was interested in, and what kinds of things you like to do (maybe you like to do slight of hand magic tricks, or sorytelling), and yourself what class you'd like to be (peasant, middle, upper), and that should help you narrow down a specific character.

Let me know your thought process...it's so exciting to develop new characters!
(aka The Bookwench)

Guyinthehall8

wow, actually, the idea of a slightly bumbling wizard's apprentice really strikes me, lol. Doing magic tricks that *kind* of work, or result in completely different results than what I say is going to happen. I'll have to play around with that one, but I could see some great comedic value and super easy to interact with patrons.

I'm trying to come up with quite a few to choose from, so I'll post when something else comes to mind. All suggestions to brainstorming is very much welcome! haha

Katie Bookwench

I've found that a successful street character needs something from the guests.

It could be as simple as opinions, ideas on how to do a trick, or how to impress your wizard master, or the local royalty, or even the girl you've fallen in love with- maybe you're searching for a magician's assistant--People want you to win, they want to help you.

Remember, people like to talk about themselves. Let them impress you, and you've won them over.
(aka The Bookwench)

RSLeask

There are many things that work for your non-staff characters.  Take my own example, I play as a simple traveler from the Highlands.  I mix a bit of my own personal background into the character, for example he is from the clan I'm descended from.  I do mix into the character, though, drawing from many things that I would think he might have done in context... example, being a sort of mercenary type, a sword-for-hire, though he would barely charge a peasant who might be harassed by some local brigands.  Whereas a merchant who was waylayed by highwaymen, he might charge a couple gold from the purse if he recovers it.  Simple stuff.

Then, I draw the intrigue.  A subtle, not commonly known piece of background that adds more to the character when it does come out.  For example, a ring I wear, which is a noticiable and distinctive piece of jewelry if one's looking... if they were to ask about it, they might find out something a little deeper about this particular character and what he does (though for a significantly higher amount of coin).  If you build a bit of mystery into the character, something not commonly known, it adds to you when someone does discover it.

Apart from that, as was stated in a round-about fashion, quirks are very fun ways to develop a character.  Could be something as simple as jumping over tree roots.  Could be something as odd as reaching out to pet red hats.  A couple here or there can really bring the character to life, not to mention being a hoot for everyone witnessing it.

By the by, there's not a whole lot of thieving type characters that walk around any faire I've been to.  It would be a cool idea, but I definitely would recommend being a very OBVIOUS thief, lest you start getting reported to the town guard, lol.
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

Katie Bookwench

To a person who wants to join the Resident Cast of any Renaissance Festival or similar event, the following book is a great resource:

The Art of Play, by Gary Izzo.  My copy looks like it's been through Hell and back-- I refer to it often, and loan it out often too.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Play-Genre-Interactive-Theatre/dp/0435070363/ref=pd_sim_b_1

If you can't get it at Amazon, try ordering it from somewhere else - new or used, it's an EXCELLENT resource. I was introduced to Mr. Izzo about 10 years ago, and have used his book as a guide for several years, incorporating it into the 'new performer' classes when I was the Apprentice Coordinator at MIRF.

There is also Creating Personas by Laura Crockett, but this book is geared to reinactors and staged or fantasy role- play rather than the type of interactive theatre you find at a renaissance faire.  There is a big difference in performing for a more historical event. The focus of your performance is different for each of these situatons.

That said, it is worth remembering that every Ren Faire is different - they have different levels of interaction with patrons, and different environments. I am a veteran performer of a faire that requires a high level of guest interraction, so that is what I am used to in terms of my performance. So while my advice might not always apply to your situation, I am certain the principles of Izzo's style of interactive theatre would be welcomed by the Entertainment Dept. of any Renaissance Faire.

Let us know how the audition goes!!  ;D
(aka The Bookwench)

Margaret

Quote from: RSLeask on June 04, 2009, 03:10:45 PM
  A subtle, not commonly known piece of background that adds more to the character when it does come out.  For example, a ring I wear, which is a noticiable and distinctive piece of jewelry if one's looking... if they were to ask about it, they might find out something a little deeper about this particular character and what he does (though for a significantly higher amount of coin).  If you build a bit of mystery into the character, something not commonly known, it adds to you when someone does discover it.

Apart from that, as was stated in a round-about fashion, quirks are very fun ways to develop a character.  Could be something as simple as jumping over tree roots.  Could be something as odd as reaching out to pet red hats.  A couple here or there can really bring the character to life, not to mention being a hoot for everyone witnessing it.

Yes - the bolding is mine.

Here's the thing though with patrons.  They will most likely never come up to a person and ask why you are wearing such an unusual ring.  As a cast person, you are the one responsible for engaging the patrons in a gig - otherwise they will stand there and watch you jump over tree roots or give you an odd glance or a swat of your hand as you reach out to touch their hat without engagiang them first.

There is so much to take in at faire for the patrons and it should be the responsibility of the resident cast to make the patron an active part of that experience.  Not someone who just watches things happen.

Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

RSLeask

While true of the actual cast, those that are just there and playing a part (like me... I'm not actually part of the cast), it's not so important.  Certainly if asked, I'd by all means start spinning the tale.  But I'm there for enjoyment as well.  Playing my character is something to go alongside, and add to that enjoyment.

Now yes, if part of the cast, it's absolutely necessary to engage the patrons.  Totally agree with you, most wouldn't even think to step in and ask when something is going on, or what is so significant about whatever, without prompting.  But then, that's what being part of the cast is (at least the street characters), is getting passerbys into the act, draw them in, add to the intrigue.  That's what separates the actual players from the wanderers.

Edit... not to say that wanderers can't get involved like one of the cast, too.  Especially if maybe you have ambitions of joining the cast.  >.>

Katie Bookwench

Quote from: Margaret on June 05, 2009, 10:11:02 AM
Quote from: RSLeask on June 04, 2009, 03:10:45 PM
  A subtle, not commonly known piece of background that adds more to the character when it does come out.  For example, a ring I wear, which is a noticiable and distinctive piece of jewelry if one's looking... if they were to ask about it, they might find out something a little deeper about this particular character and what he does (though for a significantly higher amount of coin).  If you build a bit of mystery into the character, something not commonly known, it adds to you when someone does discover it.

Yes - the bolding is mine.

Here's the thing though with patrons.  They will most likely never come up to a person and ask why you are wearing such an unusual ring.  *SNIP*

There is so much to take in at faire for the patrons and it should be the responsibility of the resident cast to make the patron an active part of that experience.  Not someone who just watches things happen.

I have found that a majority of patron interactions are too short to even begin to discuss those subtle nuances of your character.  A lot of time, a greeting is all the chance you get to interact with them - they're on their way to to get beer, or the privy, or a show.

Case in point- Hollygrove's Seamstress, Mary Jane, has upon her person: spools of thread and a couple of large sewing needles on her hat, sewing scissors, and a measuring tape in plain view. You know who she is even before she approaches you and compliments you on your outfit, and asks you to enter the daily costume contest.  

The interaction takes only a minute - but you have been interacted with, in a positive way, and you've now met, and impressed the Town Seamstress.

Do you need to know her favorite color is chartruse, or that her father's name was Hugh, or that she got her fancy sewing scissors from her great grandmother?  well.....not really...
(aka The Bookwench)

Katie Bookwench

Quote from: RSLeask on June 05, 2009, 10:49:38 AM
While true of the actual cast, those that are just there and playing a part (like me... I'm not actually part of the cast), it's not so important.  Certainly if asked, I'd by all means start spinning the tale.  But I'm there for enjoyment as well.  Playing my character is something to go alongside, and add to that enjoyment.

Exactly - if you're a patron, you're there having fun, rock on. Different rules apply.  You do what pleases you.

When this thread began, I asked the poster whether the character was specifically meant for Cast or for his own pleasure....and my advice was based on his answer, that he wants to develop a character for Performing.

Cuz if I'm going to pontificate on something that's dear to me (and that I actually know something about), I want to know I'm boring the snot out of people for the right reasons.  :D
(aka The Bookwench)

Margaret

Quote from: RSLeask on June 05, 2009, 10:49:38 AM

The original post by guyinthehall8 was asking specifically about developing a street character for cast though.  I think it's important to focus advice toward that end, because having a character as a playtron is much different than having one as cast.

A person who has a character as part of the resident cast has a character developed to entertain other people thus the focus of the development of the character is different (as well as emphais placed on different aspects of the character) than if a playtron is making up a character to enhance his or her own experience.

For example - you mentioned a 'quirk' of someone reaching out to touch red hats.  Now, as a patron, that would be all well and good to do - it may get you smacked a few times however.  As a cast character, touching hats may still be your 'quirk' but you would need to use it differently.  You could do things such as approach a patron with a hat, declaire it the most wonderous thing you have er'e beheld.  State that you make hats and wonder where they got it from.

See the diff?
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

RSLeask

Quote from: Margaret on June 05, 2009, 12:54:21 PM

The original post by guyinthehall8 was asking specifically about developing a street character for cast though.  I think it's important to focus advice toward that end, because having a character as a playtron is much different than having one as cast.

Yes, I missed that part in a later post, which is my bad for reading just the OP, and then only glancing over the replies.  Still haven't kicked myself of that habit after all these years, unfortunately.  -_-  So my apologies there.

Quote from: Margaret on June 05, 2009, 12:54:21 PM
For example - you mentioned a 'quirk' of someone reaching out to touch red hats.  Now, as a patron, that would be all well and good to do - it may get you smacked a few times however.  As a cast character, touching hats may still be your 'quirk' but you would need to use it differently.  You could do things such as approach a patron with a hat, declaire it the most wonderous thing you have er'e beheld.  State that you make hats and wonder where they got it from.

See the diff?

I do see the difference, and maybe I should clarify myself a little bit... I can be a bit ambiguous.  Unless I'm making a specific point or idea, I usually just put generalizations or "half-baked" ideas out there.  Because a person could take that (continuing on the same line here) idea of a compulsive need to touch any red hat they see, and put that spin on it that you just mentioned.  Or, they could take it a completely different direction, with their hand reaching out toward it, and their other hand desparately grabbing the wrist, their entire body thrown into trying to pull it away, with cries of "No, no!  Bad hand!  Down boy!".  Or maybe not a red hat at all, maybe any purple scarf, or blue jacket, or...

Give a person a general idea, then let them run with it.  Or spin off of it.  Or spark their mind to creating something else entirely their own.  That's what I try to accomplish there.

Margaret

Quote from: RSLeask on June 05, 2009, 02:06:33 PM

Yes, I missed that part in a later post, which is my bad for reading just the OP, and then only glancing over the replies.  Still haven't kicked myself of that habit after all these years, unfortunately.  -_-  So my apologies there.

It happens, it happens.  Only 2 lashes with a wet noodle then.   :-*   :D

Give a person a general idea, then let them run with it.  Or spin off of it.  Or spark their mind to creating something else entirely their own.  That's what I try to accomplish there.

I do agree that it is a good start.  That's where people like Katie there can help.  She's been a resident cast member for more than 20 years and has better insight and ideas on street character development than I could ever have.  If I ever had to take 'Margaret' from being a character I developed for my own fun to one who would be a cast street character, she'd be the first person I would bounce ideas off of.

In cast/patron interaction, you want those encounters to be positive for the patron.  You don't want to have them looking at you as if you are some kind of weirdo.  Even if your character is the village weirdo.
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)