News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Getting it all together.....

Started by Forest Guardians, June 11, 2009, 05:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forest Guardians

Well... Last year things were all shaken up and we couldnt make a trip to this Faire. HOWEVER! This year is going to be different. We're already booking flights, hotels, coordinating with friends, etc.. we're looking at Labor day weekend...Actually Sunday and Monday ;)

We might even drag a handful of the "FLARF" clan with us as well! Who knows!! LOL!

Any obvious (and not so obvious) suggestions?? Most likely we will be bringing our garb in the avatar, along with multiple other options. ;)

Are there restrictions? i.e. peace-tied? staffs? antler/staff, etc.???

People to talk to about such things (head of security, etc) <---this is my 'normal' practice prior to traveling with our garb. always to be prepared....

LMK...

Koshiba

NYRF is so much fun, I've been going about 8 or 9 years now. I don't know what the protocol is on antlers, but I've definitely seen staffs about. Weapons must all be peace-tied.

I'm not sure who you contact to ask about these things. You may want to try their feedback form.

I'm sure you'll all have a blast, it's such a pretty location. And the storyline with Queen Elizabeth and Robin Hood is always entertaining. =)

Forest Guardians

We've been to the Faire in Sterling... near Syracuse(?)... That was a wonderful event. How does this compare??

Koshiba

NYRF is the only Faire I've ever been to, but I love it. I'd love to check out Sterling, it sounds like a bunch of people on these boards go to it, but it's a bit of a drive for me, about 6 hours. I don't know what Sterling is like, but NYRF is very much a fantasy faire (their motto is "Where Fantasy Rules!"). There's a storyline with Queen Elizabeth and Robin Hood & gang, lots of shows and shoppes, a play (usually Shakespearean, although last year it was Lysistrata)...the day just isn't long enough.

We usually end up missing alot of the story (by accident; we just get caught up in other things), but we almost always catch the Living Chess match and the end-of-the-day joust. There's a lot to do, and I hope to actually make it more than once this year, because a day just isn't enough.

Forest Guardians

Our "home" is the Florida Renaissance Festival (ren-fest dot com)... We simply love the people and have created some wonderful friendships along the way.... We look forward to visiting......for at least TWO days. ;)

Aaroncois

Quote from: Forest Guardians on June 12, 2009, 02:21:16 PM
the Faire in Sterling... near Syracuse(?)

Yep, Sterling is <1 hour from Syracuse (depending on what part of the city/suburbs you're coming from). Never been to NYRF so I can't speak to a comparison however.

laedyfaire

NYfaire is my home faire..this is the one in Tuxedo NY...about 1 1/2 hours north of NYC.

As stated in the earlier post, weapons are allowed but peace tied and I think you should be ok with your antlers! :)) As of last year, security at the front gate is pretty cool. They do not check bags and tailgating in the lots is ok..There is a preferred parking up top, which is across the street and level,  5 dollars..and a huge free parking lot down below. It is all uphill through woods though to get to the entrance but there is a bus shuttle that will take you up. depending on the day, it can get crowded, so you might want to hold on to your antlers..:)

I hear there are many shows that are gone this year, so I am a bit reluctant about making suggestions about what to see. But, if he is there, Bret the curious magician is great as are the Crimson Pirates ( for music ). The Queen's progress throughout the day is always good too.

And check out the Blue Boar Inn. a pub nestled in the trees, with a stage and music all day. Oh, and dont leave without staying for the pubsing.

The grounds are rugged. There are some deep potholes around. and when it rains, some pretty impressive puddles!

Labor day weekend is packed! so much so, we usually do not go, so stay on the outskirts. there are alot of paths that people do not know about and the crowds are not as heavy. There is a food stand waaay in the back that is usually not as crowded either. Also, Monday of labor day weekend is when people like to go a little off as far as garb goes..like men in corsets, etc.

NY faire is a big farie, geographically speaking. be prepared to do a lot of walking.

Hope this helps!

Koshiba

Oh god the puddles, the puddles! When we went last year there was a torrential downpour in the morning, followed by relatively nice weather the rest of the day. Some of those puddles were like little lakes. One of the booths (I can't quite recall which one) was sort of open-sided gazebo style, on a corner. We kept having to cut through the poor person's booth to avoid the lakes on either side of it!

I hadn't heard that about the shows, I hope not too many are gone. The story with the Queen and Robin & gang is fun to follow though.

DarkLord

There is one important restriction, you can't get an ale without some form of age-depicting picture ID.   'Twill not matter if you have passed 100!
Bringer of Doom and Pestilence

Ozium

Sterling is far more period than NYRF i would say. We are having a fantasy themed weekend this
season, which should be interesting. I have never been to NYRF , and while courious about it
from what i have seen it is loosly Robin Hood based which doesn't seem right to me for some
reason. While i am sure all have a great time i guess i just need a queen or king.
Home Faire:Sterling
Clan O'Doinn-Irish Penny Brigade (New York)
Carpenter of the good ship Medusa.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis

laedyfaire

greetings ozium..NY faire does have a queen! Elizabeth of course, ( wonderfully played  by a very talented  actress )along with her usual posse  ( also, wonderfully acted out by its members of talented thespians ) and progress throughout the day..BUT there is also Robin Hood. soooo, it is def. off as far as being historically correct, but indeed, good fun. LF

fairieimp

Hello All!

This year will be my first trip to NYRF (really my first trip up to New England)!  :D
I hail from the Georgia Renaissance Festival. I just happened to meet my boyfriend there. He works with the parrots and EarthQuest.
I look forward to possibly meeting some of you first and second weekends (you can find me with the parrot house).

;D
fairieimp
"A halo is just one more thing to keep clean."

I am Margaret Rennell, you can call me Meg. :)

Koshiba

I'm going to be there the second Saturday, so mayhaps I'll see you. I'll have to remember to stop by the parrot house. =) Whereabouts on the Faire grounds is it?

Brother Robert of Essex

It's almost time..  ;D  I can hardly wait!

I will be there EVERY weekend and if anyone wants to meet up, I'm all for it!  I know they got rid of shows, but I understand they kind of switch things around each year to keep it interesting and new so I guess I can't complain. Personally, I love the cast and the day flies by so fast I don't even realize I've been there since opening gate.

This year, sadly, I'm largely solo. I'm out of friends with the time, money, and/or inclination to go to Fair.  Though I know some people there, most folks are doing their own things or with their own family, so at times I feel a little strange sitting by myself having my lunch.  :-\    BUT.. I've made a lot of friends on the forums so maybe this year I'll get to pal around with more folks  :D

Green Monk

I will be there You can always hang with me or not is ok too.

not much longer friend !!!!!!!!!

GM :D