News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Rules Disscussion and Ideas

Started by LadyJessica, June 13, 2009, 10:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lairde Guardn

In response to Lady Jessica response to my proposals.   Currently I believe 30 days are allowed for a faire to post that they would like to host the rendevous.  I would recommend that a post at the beginning of that time frame be made that faires from the eligible sections have 20 days to post they have the 2 people to host the event.   But in the same post notify everyone that if no faires from the eligible section posts they have 2 hosts then open the last 10 days up to the other faires.   I am thinking that faires that wish to host the rendevous will be watching the thread closely and will post as soon as they see it is open.

The same timeframe could be used for both proposals.
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Cobaltblu

Think about all the discussions people have about different faires and comparing them.

People say things like:

Food wasn't good at faire X this year but I had great food at faire Y

Faire security was checking all bags at faire Y but when I went to faire Z they politely reminded no outside food or drink.

The parking lot was muddy at Faire X but faire Y has nice flat and dry gravel parking lots.

Faire Z cut staff levels too low and it affected the atmosphere and quality of entertainment but faire Z increased staff members.

Faire X has all kinds of new and exciting acts but faire Y has the same acts for the last 10 years so I prefer faire X.

These types of comments need to be allowed because they are absolutely germane to people choosing which faire they might want to vote for during Rendezvous vote time.  These types of comments are also absolutely germane to discussing faires on an internet renaissance faire discussion forum (hence the name discussion forum).

I know I want to know which faires are or aren't good before I travel to attend them.

I assume the majority of members of RF.com would agree with me since if we can't contrast the pros and cons of different faires what purpose is there in having a discussion forum?

I am a free speech advocate yet understand it is important to be respectful on this forum since it is not a public space but yet a privately owned enterprise.

I could agree with banning posts which just say things like "Faire X sucks and go to Faire Y" because that is unsupported liable however we should never ban factually based comparisons.

I assume the moderators are not suggesting banning factual based comparisons or pros and cons of faires, but if they are there are many posts on this site which would have to be removed and I assume there are also some disrespectful posts which would need to be removed.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

LadyJessica

I will be working on the rules this week when I have time. I'm hoping to get a new set up by the weekend for everyone to look over and make comments to.
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

Marcos Charron

Quote from: Lady_Glorianna on June 15, 2009, 06:35:53 PM
If the idea of the gathering is to get as many people as possible to attend, there has to be a reasonable time between gatherings. For example, if we had a gathering at LARF which runs Nov-Dec how many people would be financially prepared to gather again at FLARF which runs Feb-Mar. The gatherings would happen in different years but how many people would really be able to attend both gatherings? There should be a time period between gatherings to allow people to recover financially and otherwise.

That is a good idea if you live in that part of the states.

Bad idea if you are on the west coast.

Viscomte
At the faire or in the wood shop, that's where I am!

Cobaltblu

Her idea obviously has nothing to do with one area of the country or another area or one faire or another faire.

Her idea is just that there is a time buffer between faires and that is a very practical rule since it would make no sense to have a Rendezvous at a faire late in one year and early in the following year.

A time limit makes sense for many reasons because it gives RF.com time to vote, gives people time to plan hosting Rendezvous, and gives time for individual people to save money to make the trip.

Personally I think there should be a good 9-10 month buffer between Rendezvous because the example Lady_Gloriana gave of LARF one year and FLARF the following year is too quick.

We want to maximize the number of people who can attend.
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Blue66669

I believe that the reason that rule was outvoted was because of the fact that only a few faires would fall into that time period every year. We would be limited to what we could pick from, if anything.

I believe that the rules are good as they stand, only with the post count/time here tweak.
Blaidd Drwg

Welsh Wench

*rubs temples and reaches for the Excedrin*
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Welsh Wench on June 15, 2009, 08:16:19 PM
*rubs temples and reaches for the Excedrin*

Our wonderful pharmacy tech knows exactly where they are kept.  Huzzah to WW!

(this is another attempt to lighten up this thread - thanks Wenchie)    ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Anna Iram

Quote from: blue66669 on June 15, 2009, 08:11:09 PM
I believe that the reason that rule was outvoted was because of the fact that only a few faires would fall into that time period every year. We would be limited to what we could pick from, if anything.

I believe that the rules are good as they stand, only with the post count/time here tweak.

That's right Blue. There have been alot of great ideas posted in our discussion threads here that were batted around back on the old forum and discarded because they sounded good in theory, but not so much in practice. Unfortunate that we lost those discussion threads when the forum crashed so we'd all be on the same page now and everyone could see how we got to the current rules. I admit I was a bit confused on a few points as well until my memory was tweaked.

Athena

THANK YOU Blue!!!!

There should just be a straightforward vote, by members of the forum. It should be done one of two ways - set up another poll, and accept that there's probably going to be some illegitimate votes, or do it the way it's always been done with people posting their choice. This is the simplest way, IMO. If votes by renmail, committees, debates and what have you are set up, things will get too complicated, and really, there's no reason for that!

You know how the old saying goes, about not pleasing all the people all the time, and that's just the way it's going to be. I'm glad our mods are giving everyone a voice, but it should ultimately come down to the easiest way to carry out the voting.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Blue66669

Quote from: Anna Iram on June 15, 2009, 09:14:02 PM

That's right Blue. There have been alot of great ideas posted in our discussion threads here that were batted around back on the old forum and discarded because they sounded good in theory, but not so much in practice. Unfortunate that we lost those discussion threads when the forum crashed so we'd all be on the same page now and everyone could see how we got to the current rules. I admit I was a bit confused on a few points as well until my memory was tweaked.

WOW, I'm glad the loki didn't erase EVERYTHING up there in mah brain LOLOLOLOL!!!
Blaidd Drwg

eloquentXI

I do realize that there needs to be some editing done here and there, tweaking of a few things, but what it comes down to is that not everyone is going to be happy with every little thing. I know that some people really want to host it at their faire, and that's whats incredible, we're all so excited to share our homes with each others. It's that people are getting angry and I just...

as I stated elsewhere, I really feel like the point of why everyone is gathering is being forgotten. Remember the family that's at the heart of this, the people that you meet and have yet to meet and the love we all share.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Marcos Charron

Quote from: Cobaltblu on June 15, 2009, 08:05:58 PM
Her idea obviously has nothing to do with one area of the country or another area or one faire or another faire.

But it does have something to do with the fact that some parts of the country have more people, hence more faires in a smaller location. If you limit the amount of time between faires that hold the gathering, great. But if I have to buy plane tickets to go to each and every one because I live in the area that will never host, the amount of time means nothing, it's still too damn expensive to continue to go to the other side of the country because they get the popular vote, or the vote because they have more people.

It really is pointless to argue the subject from my point of view. After seeing how people conduct themselves on this thread and this subject, I will go out of my way to never attend a Rendevous. This is supposed to be fun, not a exercise in arguing with keyboard commandos.

Viscomte

Lady Nicolette

Sorry that you feel that way, Viscomte. 

One of the ideas that the mods are considering is to make sure that regions rotate each year (ie one year only the west will be possible), which would surely make your faire and the other western faires only in competition with each other.  I think it's an excellent potential solution (thanks, Lady Renee Buchanan).  It's just a fact that most people on this particular forum are from TX.  They also have to fly far away any time that a RenDevous is chosen away from Texas and sometimes even travel very far within that vast state. 

Back in the day, I actually voted for MD over my own faire, TN (which won that year, with very few members from here, btw), since I wanted to travel.  Not everyone wants the faire to be their home faire, some people enjoy adventuring to new locations.  Not that I minded that TN won, we all had a great time last year.  I'm just offering a different perspective.

The moderators have all been "listening" to everyone's points of view and are trying to come up with some new potential rules with all of them in mind and with all of the faires in mind.  Please be patient and you might find that this is not as exclusionary as you seem to be feeling at the moment.  And there are many people who may not be putting any of their viewpoints into these threads, you may find that you are judging the entire forum on the few who you find disagreeable.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Marcos Charron

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on June 16, 2009, 10:47:09 AM
Sorry that you feel that way, Viscomte. 

LN

Thanks for the sentiment, but this is supposed to be about fun and enjoying the company of like minded individuals, not fending off nasty remarks made by faceless people who would never speak to another person like that in the flesh. Many years ago I was very active in the sport shooting community and held a high office in that bodies governing board. I went through the years of hate mail and narrow minded keyboard cowboys that are ten feet tall behind a computer screen, but get them face to face and they smile and say all the right things. It was that community and their attitudes that lead me to faire, to find a group of people that enjoyed the same things and spoke the truth no matter what.

I love faire, my faire family and the idea of this board as a safe place for us to gather. But seeing how people react to the Rendevous subject?, no thank you, I will make plans for our faire, visit places like MRF to see friends, and attend TRF to work my brothers gypsy camp and honor his memory. Try to host a Rendevous, or attend one?, sorry, I have more respect for the thing that gives me so much hope and happiness and friendship to bring those kind of negative joss to it.

Hope to see you in AZ

Viscomte