News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Rules Disscussion and Ideas

Started by LadyJessica, June 13, 2009, 10:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Nicolette

Those of you who are puzzled, please look above and follow DB's link to the final posting from last year.  This will be the coming into the 6th RenDevous and those who have been around for all of them know that there has always been contention of some sort each time.  It has seemed as if no matter what determination is used, someone is unhappy, or unhappy about a portion of the rules, which leads to lengthy back and forth in interpreting and reinterpreting the rules.  This is probably the simplest solution, and though it's not democratic, I have faith that John and DB will fairly move the Rendevous' around the country from here on out.  It's true that the West hasn't won previously and Colorado is a wonderful Faire with many forum members and they have enough willing to host for it to make sense.  Let's all get back to what this place is about, have fun, enjoy meeting other folk who love Faire and spread information and knowledge about topics relating to Faire and even common interests outside of Faire.  I'm hoping I can make it to Colorado, I lived there for five years and it's a great place! 
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Carl Heinz

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on May 11, 2010, 10:19:41 AM
It's true that the West hasn't won previously and Colorado is a wonderful Faire with many forum members and they have enough willing to host for it to make sense.

John and Steve have resolved the divisiveness issues.  Being on the West Coast, though, I'm not too sure that I'd call Colorado "West".  I'll agree that it's definitely further west than Maryland.  But, then, I grew up in Nebraska and could never understand how Illinois was considered to be the Midwest. :)

I have emailed Steve that I do have contact information for RPFS management so that if he and John wish to consider RPFS at some point in the future, they'll be able to deal directly with those who can negotiate.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Anna Iram

As for me, I live in Florida and I do NOT consider Florida the South... ;D... that's Georgia and Alabama for goodness sake! Geesh!

I think Jessica and DB and John were trying their best to divide the faires as best as possible with some slight adjustments being made here and there to make the playing field more even.

Anna Iram

Yeah...what's this forum coming to...... :'(  :D

Lord Dragonspyre

Despite the arguing, bickering, and all that, the thing about Rendezvous that made it special is that we all had a say in where it was gonna be.
Corrupting Impressionable Youths Since 1976.

IBRSC#1475, RMG#820, IFRP#1276
Horseman of Debauchery

Muffin

Quote from: Lord Dragonspyre on May 11, 2010, 02:03:03 PM
Despite the arguing, bickering, and all that, the thing about Rendezvous that made it special is that we all had a say in where it was gonna be.

I couldn't agree more! but I also understand why the decision was made to have John and DB pick..

The "new" way does take away from the event somewhat in my opinion.. I always thought it was nice to hear something about the faires in the running, and choose based on that.. I fear that going forward we may find ourselves with a Rendezvous at a faire that is really not that interested in hosting one.. I could be wrong though.. There is generally a lot more going on behind the scenes then we are aware of..
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Anna Iram

I attended the first Rendezvous..gosh..was it really six years ago!? Anyway...I was new to the forum, but I'm not aware of there having been any rules or faire regions or voting. It was just an idea of a forum wide gathering which snowballed into a Rendezvous. We were given a party. It was awesome. It was fun. So far that's the only Rendezvous I've attended. Partly because of timing and financing, but partly also because of all the politics that surrounded the selection process.

As has been said elsewhere I think John and DB have put and will put alot of thought into where each Rendezvous will be. Certainly based on which faire is excited to host us, and which faire will be the most exciting for us to visit. Have faith guys. Try it on for size.

iain robb

Quote from: Anna Iram on May 11, 2010, 02:33:46 PM
As has been said elsewhere I think John and DB have put and will put alot of thought into where each Rendezvous will be. Certainly based on which faire is excited to host us, and which faire will be the most exciting for us to visit. Have faith guys. Try it on for size.

I can get jiggy with that, homey. (Oops, sorry, wrong accent.)

Anna Iram

LOL. Thanks Iain, now I have that song stuck in my head.  :)

eloquentXI

Quote from: Muffin on May 11, 2010, 02:14:58 PM
Quote from: Lord Dragonspyre on May 11, 2010, 02:03:03 PM

I couldn't agree more! but I also understand why the decision was made to have John and DB pick..

The "new" way does take away from the event somewhat in my opinion.. I always thought it was nice to hear something about the faires in the running, and choose based on that.. I fear that going forward we may find ourselves with a Rendezvous at a faire that is really not that interested in hosting one.. I could be wrong though.. There is generally a lot more going on behind the scenes then we are aware of..

I had this fear too, when I first heard of the possibility of this decision being made. But, I think John and DB contacted and communicated with some people that were interested in hosting.

In the future, maybe faires interested in hosting a Rendezvous could have an appointed person put a bid of some type to the admins.

While the voting was a democratic way of things, unfortunately, the amount of drama and stress that went into the process was more than it should have, because some people think their opinions should have counted more than others and when they didn't get what they wanted, they fought about it. The system needed to be revamped so here's a solution. I'm all for making things easier on all parties involved. If this doesn't work out, we'll figure something else out.

Hopefully people can get back to the core idea of this that, We all just want to have fun, meet people from across the US, and we all just want together and share our love of faire.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Ozium

The system needed to be revamped so here's a solution. I'm all for making things easier on all parties involved.
If this doesn't work out, we'll figure something else out.

Maybe so but the last most or all of the R/F membership knew was it was going to be reviewed, which was fine. But
i think we all expected to hear what the outcome was, if it was that there was a new way to let it be known that
you need to give person X or Y even a slight hint that you may be thinking of hosting for the upcomming year
i doubt it would be an issue, Or that the wants and or desires of the people who go to rendevouse will no longer
be considered and a choice would be made for them, that would have had to been excepted i guess. We all
have great pride in our home faires as shown by the enthusiasm expressed in past years, either by campaigning
drama, squabbles or volunteering to host and giving up time to see it through. It is impossible to please everyone
all the time, but if there are rules/guidelines that have been made public, and the public is not informed of
changes what are we left to believe or expect, basically the same as the previous year.

If the rendevouse fiare is to be chosen for us then i would assume there would not be a problem with the fairs
to be chosen and posted for the next 3 or 4 years so we all can have ample time to save money, make arrangements
or or whatever might be involved.

Kinda feel like the little girl in that add that was asked if she wanted to ride the bike, but then was told she
could only ride it within the 4 x 3 foot square.

Home Faire:Sterling
Clan O'Doinn-Irish Penny Brigade (New York)
Carpenter of the good ship Medusa.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis

Hibernian

While I agree the system needed tweeking, I also have to agree with Ozium that some warning about the new method would have been appropriate and appreciated. I was at Scarborough and not a word was heard about changes.

Unfortunately, some of us who were considering a run for the nomination, were still sitting at home waiting for the beginning of May for the process to begin. Instead, we are faced with the declaration that the process is already over and CORF will hold the 2011 event. Fine, I'll enjoy Colorado, its a new fair for me and I could sit and just look at the Rockies all day. I'm looking forward to 2011.

BUT...now the responsibility falls on John and DB to clearly announce their intentions for future years and how is the membership to communicate their desire to host the 2012 and future events. I'm a simply friar, unlike my fellow monks from the Orient I never went in for that mind reading and transmitting mental wave stuff. I'm going to need a push in the right direction.
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

Lupa

I completely agree with you Hibernian... I had no idea that faires could be submit yet let alone that a decision had been made.  A clear announcement of when submitals needs to be sent and what faire is selected definitely needs to be communicated.
Goddess of the Grove
DoRT
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3576
IFoRP #1360
FOKTOP Inquisitor
Cheer'n M'Crack

Lairde Guardn

2006 Texas
2007 Minnesota
2008 Tennessee
2009 Maryland
2010 Texas
2011 Colorodo
2012 ?    We all wait patiently....
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Lairde Guardn MCrack on November 02, 2011, 11:31:11 PM
2006 Texas
2007 Minnesota
2008 Tennessee
2009 Maryland
2010 Texas
2011 Colorodo
2012 ?    We all wait patiently....

Reading Laird's listing, the Midwest hasn't had a RenDezvous since 2007 in Minnesota.  Next year will make it 5 years.  I see that Maryland held the RenDezvous in 2009, which will only be 3 years ago.  It used to be that a section couldn't have a second RenDezvous within 5 years of the last one in that area if there was someone in a different section who was willing to host one, so I'm hoping that Bristol will be chosen for RenDezvous 2012.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich