News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

PMC 3 silver clay , Has anyone used?

Started by Genievea Brookstone, May 08, 2009, 04:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genievea Brookstone

Hi Everyone,

Just curious if anyone here has used this product for jewelry making or at all and has any good information on it. The sites we have been finding are less than helpful unless you want to just make a ring.

Thanks!

Gens~
Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

Hoowil

I take a jewelry crafting class, and was required to do a project with PMC. The stuff is really cool. I didn't have to fire it, so I'm not sure how hot it really has to get, but its fairly easy to work with if you are used to working with clay. The PCM clay does dry a little faster though. Keep in mind that fine silver, which PCM cooks down to, is softer than sterling. Also, PCM has a fair amount of shrinkage when firing, so check your package on how much to expect.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Beautiful Dreamer

PMC 3 tops out at 1290 degrees and of the PMC products has the least shrinkage.  Art Jewelry magazine had an article on it in March of 05 that goes thru the firing and stuff.  And they usually have more info in each issue.  I've only made one piece with it, but it's really easy to use.  The golden rule seems to be that if it dries out, forget it.  My unused clay dried out on me.  I still haven't gotten it right.  Anyway, the website for Art Jewelry is just www.artjewelrymag.com.  Hope this helps. 

Beautiful Dreamer

They also have an article on making rings with it in one issue, but of course now I can't find that one.  :-\