News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How do you mark your camp?

Started by bellevivre, June 15, 2009, 05:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

What do you do to mark your campsite so others can find it? I made some banners last year, but i just wondered what other people do (lol I'm usually too tipsy to notice!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

RSLeask

Actually, I hadn't considered this part, since this'll be my first year actually doing the camping thing.  Makes perfect sense, though.

Honestly, I'm not sure.  Since I've got a mundane tent (I mean, this was kinda spur-of-the-year decision, and monetary planning isn't very good in time for Pennsic), it wouldn't quite fit.  However, I think I'd probably have some flag or something, with a spoked carriage wheel with flames coming off of it to the right...

What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

Lady Renee Buchanan

I don't camp.   I'm the hotel - room service - hot shower - warm bed - type of person, but we made Renaissance Forum shields for our car that we keep in the front and back windows, so if other forum members go past (and you can't really miss a bright yellow VW beetle), they will see the shields.

Maybe you could do something similar for your tent, especially if you want other forum members to visit your site.   :D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

dragongirl

Quote from: RSLeask on June 15, 2009, 07:10:23 PM
Actually, I hadn't considered this part, since this'll be my first year actually doing the camping thing.  Makes perfect sense, though.

Honestly, I'm not sure.  Since I've got a mundane tent (I mean, this was kinda spur-of-the-year decision, and monetary planning isn't very good in time for Pennsic), it wouldn't quite fit.  However, I think I'd probably have some flag or something, with a spoked carriage wheel with flames coming off of it to the right...

Ok if you are camping at Pennisc then I need to know, are you camping with an established group or in singles camping?  Most groups will have sheetwalls to establish boundries.  In Singles I would make a large banner, but you must be careful that your banner is not a match to another established an register heraldry.  If you have any other questions PM me off list and I will be glad to help!!!!!
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

RSLeask

I'll be in singles, not with a group or anything at this time.  Unless that changes in the next month or so, but since pre-reg's done already, doubt it.

Also...
Quote from: dragongirl on June 17, 2009, 12:49:42 PM
In Singles I would make a large banner, but you must be careful that your banner is not a match to another established an register heraldry.

I would seriously doubt that anyone's registered a medieval version of the Red Wings' logo for their heraldry.  XD

Quote from: RSLeask on June 15, 2009, 07:10:23 PM
with a spoked carriage wheel with flames coming off of it to the right...

But thanks though, I appreciate the additional things to think on and the offer of help!  I'll be sure to hit you up if I have any questions.   :)

Blue66669

We at McLotofus use banners and things of the sort. We border our camp with stakes, as they won't let us rope off anymore.

Oh, and sometimes, late at night, we mark our territory by peeing on the surrounding trees...

*falls over laughing*
Blaidd Drwg

bellevivre

Quote from: blue66669 on June 17, 2009, 01:04:18 PM
Oh, and sometimes, late at night, we mark our territory by peeing on the surrounding trees...

*falls over laughing*

I dont know what good THAT does- lol ive never known a drunk with a sense of smell!  ;)
Belle the Kat

Blue66669

Quote from: bellevivre on June 17, 2009, 01:27:38 PM
Quote from: blue66669 on June 17, 2009, 01:04:18 PM

*falls over laughing*

I dont know what good THAT does- lol ive never known a drunk with a sense of smell!  ;)

Oh noes, they don't. But it's funny as hell to watch Dragonspyre pitch his tent next to a tree that I just peed on... *snortgiggle*
Blaidd Drwg

bellevivre

[/quote]

Oh noes, they don't. But it's funny as hell to watch Dragonspyre pitch his tent next to a tree that I just peed on... *snortgiggle*

[/quote]

OUCH!!! the double entendres are getting a little hairy around here...

;D

Where's me fluffer!?
Belle the Kat

dragongirl

Quote from: RSLeask on June 17, 2009, 12:54:50 PM
I'll be in singles, not with a group or anything at this time.  Unless that changes in the next month or so, but since pre-reg's done already, doubt it.

But thanks though, I appreciate the additional things to think on and the offer of help!  I'll be sure to hit you up if I have any questions.   :)
Ok, since you are a Pennsic Virgin, do you have group of friends to take you around?  Also you want to decide where to camp with the singles, if you want convience but blinding heat, camp on the Serringetti, If you want shade and moisture but bugs that can carry off small children go for the Bog, THe meadows are a nice compromise between the 2 but are in the back of beyond so I hope you like to walk...alot.  There are Port-a-castles about every 10 feet so you have that, but hand washing facilities are few and far between.  There are also Showers at the Barn and several solar showers, so that is not a problem.  unless you plan on buying every meal, plan on bringing your own cooking set-up.  If you are interested, Thursday is usually Pirate's Night, when we rove about and "invade different camps.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

RSLeask

No, I'm purely solo on this one.  I got tipped off to it by one of the local IWG gals at VARF, decided on a whim to go after the fact.  I figured I'd do as I always do, with the whole mysterious traveler thing... wander in, scout around, take stock of things, and go from there.  If I run across people I know... or more likely, they run across me... all the better.  But I would doubt it, I'm kind of one of those faceless-in-the-crowd types, hehe.

Thanks for the info on the camps, though.  I can deal with the heat... primarily because I won't be at my tent much except to sleep.  But really, I'm used to many conditions, so wherever they got room would be good with me.  I'll definitely keep that in mind, especially if the weather's mild this year, like it seems it's going to be.  As for the necessities, mostly I'm planning on just paying for the fare I get (taking about $100 per day I'm there), though I'll have about a half dozen MREs just in case.  And coffee.  That's a must, heh.  Plus a few bottles of wine... well, ok, about a dozen of them... so I'm not buying all my drink from the taverns.  Aside for that, a case of bottled water, and I'm not one to balk at refilling from the spigots.  But yes, got the necessities of camping life pretty well in mind.

I'll keep a mind on the pirate night thing.  Might be a bit of fun, heh.  Especially being an infiltration expert.  Could be useful to someone, I'm sure, lol.

Marietta Graziella

When we camp with R/F folks I have an R/F shield banner that I can slide over my car's antenna so others can find us.

Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

mpullen

At TRF, Andi has a Drunken Gnome banner that is tied to our popups. Of course, the area also has The Claw and Chaos banners posted also on the popups.

On my travel trailer, on the flagpole with my US flag and retired Navy flag, I fly Silver/gold/black streamers for the RenaissanceFestival.COM membership.

midnightferret

A couple years ago, Ambard made me this cool midnightferret banner!

Vincenzo

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on June 15, 2009, 09:21:52 PM
I don't camp.   I'm the hotel - room service - hot shower - warm bed - type of person, but ...

I'm with you on that point.  Got my share of camping (aka. "field time") in the army.  And never underestimate the restorative powers of a long hot shower after a full day at Faire.

That being said, I may end up camping this year to conserve capital - unless I find one or two other folks heading to CRF to share the costs.  Otherwise, its cold morning showers for me.
Audaces - Fortuna - Voluptas