News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New, Improved Eastern Shore RENSTOCK (Camping in garb!)

Started by Steev, June 16, 2009, 06:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steev

NEW DATES for the new, improved Eastern Shore, MD Renstock:

WHEN: (Weekend prior to Turkeyday)     Friday November 19 at 6:00pm - Sunday November 21 at 8:00pm
WHERE: (Western side of Eastern Shore) Warwick, MD
WHAT:  Ren-themed CAMPING event (****Day-Trippers also very welcome!***) on 55 private, wooded, waterfront acres in eastern shore Maryland. BYO food, beverages, and entertainment. Garb encouraged but not mandatory. BY INVITATION ONLY. Gratuities accepted to offset costs of portapots, etc. . .

HOW: Contact here for invite or get with us on the newer fb page.
Born too late.  But not too late for faires.

Scotsman

Woodstock??

I gotta tell you, this would take a bunch of work to pull off. I would not even know where to start ... and the cost!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Steev

Completely agree, but what if it was bare-bones?  Pick a weekend, rent some port-a-potties and then tell folks to come in garb, bring food, booze, musical instruments, tents?  I would not even attempt to arrange things like performances, "admission", vendors...

Again, this is just something I'm throwing out there for people looking for another opportunity to get in character between faires.

S

Betty Munro

Oh my gosh, like the camp party after faire, without the faire!!!
I love the idea ... but will people come?  How many people do you need to come to cover cost?

Lairde Guardn

Hmmmm.......Renstock...........

A bring your own faire......love the idea....but could it actually work....
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Steev

Well, it's my parents' property so no problem there, port-a-potties are pretty cheap, there's plenty of field to park in, plenty of woods to camp in (closest hotels are prob. 20 min away, though there's a handful of inns and b & bs locally) and if people are comfy bringing their own food and entertainment it shouldn't really cost much.  I guess that I would want to have some help with clean-up and maybe we could pass the hat to cover potties, beyond that I don't see any big costs.

Oh, and I don't see any reason why anyone who WANTED to sell wares couldn't do so.  AND we could also get a couple kegs if that's cheaper than everyone bringing a cooler....

Scotsman

Kilted Rogue #1411
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56

Steev

private property, not selling...

RSLeask

Yeah, everyone that's drinking, pitch in for the kegs.  Nothing wrong with a "donation hat" for those that decide to drink afterwards, for when another keg run's needed.

Get a few cheap, free-standing charcoal grills going, you could have a feast prepared in no time.  Share the cooking between people that can.  ("Can you flip meat?  Good, you're next!")
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

Pinn

Sounds like fun so when is it going to happen??
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

Feline Groovy

Man, that really is starting to sound like a lot of fun.
Where was I going and how do I get there?

Steev

At this point I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts, if there would be interest, how many people might be up for a weekend renstock (shout out to Scotsman and Lairde Guard'n for coining THAT!).  Tell me now if I'm crazy or if the idea is lame.  But if a bunch of you are interested, let's put something together.  I would like to try for a weekend before MDRF starts and ideally before PARF.

Scotsman

If you build it ... we will come!

I guess the big thing for me would be timing .... I am starting to gear up for my travel season so time will be a commodity. That said, I will supply a keg of brew for the cause. Also color me in for a chainsaw to build the bonfire!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56

dbaldock

Does your Town or County require any Special Permits for Public Gatherings, or require Medical or Security Personnel to be on-site?

Just Curious,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

will paisley

Quote from: Steev on June 16, 2009, 06:27:09 PM
I'm completely aware that in the short time available any event would be more like camping in character than an "official" event with paid performers, vendors, etc...

In terms of "camping in character", this seems quite doable.  However, if you ever get it into your head to try to put on an actual faire, read this first.

A few thoughts:

1) Don't be surprised if only half to a quarter of all those expressing interest actually show up.  Defecation occurs, Murphy's Law, and all that.

2) WRT "I don't see any reason why anyone who WANTED to sell wares couldn't do so.", tax collection pops up as an immediate reason.  Passing a hat for reimbursement for something for common consumption or use (beer kegs, porta potties) is about as far as you'd want to go with having money change hands.

3) Have you thought of what people will be doing most of the day?  Is there a lake on the grounds or nearby?  If all you've got is homegrown entertainment, there's only so many shanties you can sing.  Then again, there are plenty of people who go to faire and do nothing but hang out at the Dragon, drink all day and talk amongst themselves (Not That There's Anything Wrong With That®), so that might not be a problem at all.  There are also other things that could be set up, such as dance classes, garb making tips, discussions about characters and dialect, improv classes and anything else we can dream up; then again, many people aren't fond of going to a party with a schedule.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally