News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New, Improved Eastern Shore RENSTOCK (Camping in garb!)

Started by Steev, June 16, 2009, 06:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSLeask

Quote from: will paisley on June 18, 2009, 03:05:47 PM
then again, many people aren't fond of going to a party with a schedule.

Who needs a schedule?  Just do!  lol
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

Steev

All good comments.

Location is good- forest and fields on water.  Plenty to do in terms of camping, boating, walking but as far as ren diversions you seasoned professionals would probably have to create the ambiance. I imagine (in my naivete') people setting up campsites, drinking, playing music, wandering from place to place to harass others.  It would be nice if someone would put together activities (quests, contests, etc.) but I wouldn't try to do this on my own if no one else were interested.

And July 4th is out- that's the big hillbilly music festival.

If it's impractical to put something together for this year, would it make more sense to start thinking about doing something for next season?
Born too late.  But not too late for faires.

SirBlackFox

I think you're on track for something fun m'friend. . . . and my opinion is that you don't plan anything. . .let folks let you know what they've planned. . .outside of providing a bit of electricity and a port-a-pot or three, let folks make their own fun.

songs, stories, sharing, that's what the idea of yours might reflect and be its biggest strength. . . . die hard rennies don't need scripted shows or events. . .  we make our own.
Publisher, Faire Magazine, The Concordium, & The Pyrates Way
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

Lairde Guardn

I also agree with let the rennies make their own fun....it is usually the best way at an open event.  I know that the few I have been to that are similar, that it just happened and could not have been scripted.

The idea of waiting is a great idea, select a date for next year that is good and give everyone time to talk it up and plan to go.  Try to miss as many of the local faires as possible, trying an event like this while MD, PA or VA is running in that area will definitely reduce you local count.  Many of the hard core rennies have this years schedule already full up with their travel plans, having a date for next year would give them a chance to pencil it in now before the other schedules are out and published. 
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Peddlin

Peddlin M'Crack
Countess of Tyrone
Ette
IWG #3790, Local 96

Steev

Allrighty.  I propose something next year between VARF and PARF/MDRF.  I think June would be best because July 4 is (as I've said) a big music fest on the property and late July is too close to the other festivals.  Having said that, I'm interested in hearing what other folks have to say.  I guess pre-VARF spring would also be a possibility.

Regarding facilities, there is a house on the property but I would locate Renstock at the OTHER side- in the forest and back field- to avoid culture clash (who wants to see a Honda Odyssey drive over the morris dancers?  On second thought, don't answer that).  There is an outbuilding with substantial electrical service so I s'pose that could be accessible.  Aside from that there'd be port-a-potties, ability to set up grills and campfires/bonfires, parking and a whole lotta rustic.  And as I've said, there's access to water so folks could bring canoes or water wings for the kiddies.  ***Just had a scary thought- Renaissance skinny-dipping***

With that, I'll sign off...

Betty Munro

Quote from: Steev on July 08, 2009, 10:26:31 PM
  ***Just had a scary thought- Renaissance skinny-dipping***

First thought - Steev, I think I love you.  LOL
Second thought - Well, that takes care of the entertainment, now doesn't it?!?!  LOL
Sounds like a blast.  I love camping, and I love Renaissance.  I'm waiting for the date to mark my calendar.

Feline Groovy

Quote from: Steev on July 08, 2009, 10:26:31 PMI guess pre-VARF spring would also be a possibility.

I'd lean away from that myself but for purely selfish reasons: VARF rehearsals are pre-VARF which means VARF staff (which covers more than a couple of us) couldn't come out and play.  Not to mention it's usually cold and wet and nasty on the weekends right up until VARF opens.  ;)

Quote***Just had a scary thought- Renaissance skinny-dipping***

That gives me flashbacks to parties I didn't even make it to last year.  :D
Where was I going and how do I get there?

Steev

Well,  I'm looking at the weekend of July 24-25 2010.  That's well after VARF and well before MDRF.  PARF cast would be probably too busy to come...

We can get potties and wash stations for about $100 per for the whole weekend. If people are interested we can get more elaborate facilities (such as showers) but we'd have to pool enough money to afford 'em.  We can pool for food and brew or people can BYO.  I have parking, I have LIMITED electric, I have 55 acres of fields and forest on the water, about 20 acres of which is isolated from view of mundane structures.

I'd love to do it but only with help and participation from more experienced rennies.  If enough people are interested, it's a go.

I'll be at MDRF opening weekend and RenDezvous weekend and can be reached via forum, email (steevshumaker@yahoo.com), or phone (301 575 6825, eastern standard time).

Will it happen? ???

Steev

Nothing??  No one has an opinion? Hmmm.  I think this thread may be buried- Can someone with "cache" link to it from a cooler topic?  I like the idea too much to let it die. >:(

Pinn

Well now everyone has an opinion  ::) But what you have suggested and the time frames might work out well for everyone. For me and mine it sounds like it would be a blast and we are going to plan on being there. :)
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

Lairde Guardn

Oh yes, this sounds like a great idea and I can not wait for "Renstock 2010". Was going to talk to you at Rendevous....and try to firm a few things up with you then,  and I am sure we will get some great participation.

Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

Count me in, see you at faire.
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

will paisley

Quote from: Steev on August 01, 2009, 11:16:33 PM
Nothing??  No one has an opinion? Hmmm.  I think this thread may be buried- Can someone with "cache" link to it from a cooler topic?  I like the idea too much to let it die. >:(

Don't worry, there's plenty of time.  Right now people are going to be excited about the full scale faires they'll be attending in a few weeks.  Give the thread a bump near the end of faire (just to touch base with the people you've talked to in person at MDRF) or a few weeks after faire, when post MDRF depression is setting in.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

Steev

Well, if anyone wants to give me an in-person two cents, we're going to be at faire opening day, (hopefully) at least Friday night and Saturday of Rendezvous (maybe Sunday as well if I can convince my wife to camp), and I know we'll be at closing weekend as well. In between, who knows?  Look for the gangly peasant with green jerkin, straw hat and immense walking stick.  Oh, and the beautiful wife and daughters.  And a beer. For those who might ever want to tag me, I have an email link in my profile and I'll add a skype and facebook address as well.

Hmm. No fields for Skype or Facebook.  Well, I'm loviemuffin on skype (if you ask, you'll be bored by the story) and I'm Steve Shumaker in Chestertown, MD on Facebook.