News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New, Improved Eastern Shore RENSTOCK (Camping in garb!)

Started by Steev, June 16, 2009, 06:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

Happy Winter! Yes we are 6 months away but its never to soon to start planning,it'll be here before you know it!
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Steev

Happy early March!  Another bump for the thread...  We're gonna do this thing so here's the Poop:

Dates are Friday July 23-Sunday July 25, location is the Sassafras river in Warwick, MD 21912, exact address to be posted via renmail upon RSVP.

No admission. Garb encouraged. Children and pets welcome (assuming appropriate supervision).  Accommodations provided are: firewood, fire pits, grills, parking spots, camping spots, canoes.  I will arrange for privvies and would appreciate some help w. this cost.  Showers units, etc could also be rented if enough people desire them.  I do have access to electricity, running water, as well as the main house but I'd like to try to keep contact w. the 'danes (my parents) to a minimum.

Food and beverages will be on a BYO basis- perhaps a hat will be passed.  Best big beverage distributor is Cochran's in Middletown, DE about 15 min away, groceries are also available in Middletown.  There are also a handful of good restaurants and bed & breakfasts in the area.  If any of you are boaters the site is accessible by water (!) via the Chesapeake bay w. many marinas within 10 minutes by water (Gregg Neck, Georgetown Yacht Basin, Sassafrass River Marina, Sailing Associates, Duffy Creek, Skipjack) and deep water anchorage a short paddle from the property.

Entertainment must come from within.  Bring your enthusiasm, bring your music, bring your act.

I'd also like to find a few volunteers to stay afterward and help with cleanup.

That's it.  Thoughts?
Born too late.  But not too late for faires.

daniel paul

this idea is full of winn and awesome!!1! now all i have to do is coerce the wife into it...and procure off work. that shouldnt be too hard.

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: will paisley on June 18, 2009, 03:05:47 PM
Quote from: Steev on June 16, 2009, 06:27:09 PM
I'm completely aware that in the short time available any event would be more like camping in character than an "official" event with paid performers, vendors, etc...

2) WRT "I don't see any reason why anyone who WANTED to sell wares couldn't do so.", tax collection pops up as an immediate reason.  Passing a hat for reimbursement for something for common consumption or use (beer kegs, porta potties) is about as far as you'd want to go with having money change hands.

Money changing always causes problems... but barter, on the other hand...  If there were some sort of "Trade Circle" where goods and services could be traded instead of bought and sold then that would effectively negate the need to declare anything, but it would be rather difficult to enforce.  Honor system would work for most, I'm sure...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Steev

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on March 20, 2010, 03:23:16 PM
Money changing always causes problems... but barter, on the other hand...  If there were some sort of "Trade Circle" where goods and services could be traded instead of bought and sold then that would effectively negate the need to declare anything, but it would be rather difficult to enforce.  Honor system would work for most, I'm sure...

Barter is always a good idea.  But regarding sales, I ran a business selling puzzles for a few years and as part of each sale we charged and declared/paid sales tax. As I will not be selling anything, nor charging admission, nor charging vendors for the "privilege" of selling, I'd imagine that transactions would be between buyer and seller- a vendor would be responsible for making sure proper taxes were paid on their items.  We're just a location- it's much the same as closing a deal on your cell phone in the airport.

Steev

Another bump to this thread-  Helping set up VARF these days and meeting so many good folks that it makes me excited to host a mini-faire weekend.

Having talked to a few people RE: ren camping, I realize that there are people who don't LIKE camping in garb... so I amend my earlier posts from "garb mandatory" to "garb welcomed".  Beyond that... well, the site is beautiful, found a nice hollow for people to congregate and camp within distant view of only one mundane structure.  Before the weekend I'm going to mow some paths, build a huge bonfire out in one field for late-night revelry, possibly build a barricade to block view to the mundanes.

I have no idea if we'll get 5 people or 50- please Zap me a renmail if you're interested.  Even a small gathering will be fun but I'd be thrilled to have 50 people drop in!

S

remission

I havent been camping in..years and years but I would always be up to going to hang with a group and meet new friends.

SirBlackFox

I'm in and we'll cover it for Faire Magazine.  I've also got a bunch of Tarot card stuff from publishers who send it to me to review. . .  all brand new and in the package. . . I'm thinking of a huge Jeopardy game that we can work up if Steev is interested.

Let me know how I can help m'friend!
Publisher, Faire Magazine, The Concordium, & The Pyrates Way
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

Steev

Thanks for your interest, Sir B.  A Jeopardy game (or any other entertainment) is very welcome.  I have an outdoor screen and lcd projector and was considering showing something like Holy Grail but I don't know if that would kill the mood. I'll renmail you the address for the event.

Steev

Just another "bump for the thread now that VARF closing weekend is upon us.  If you MDRF cast, crew and playtrons want a chance for a summer warm-up before faire starts, I hope you will consider making the drive out to the eastern shore so that my family return the warm welcome we've always received at MDRF!

Please drop me a line via Renmail or email (steevshumaker@gmail.com) if you have any questions or plan to attend.

Hope to see some of you in 1-1/2 months!

S

will paisley

Not sure if you were planning to come to the VARF breakdown/cast party this weekend, but that might be a good place to spread the word as well.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

Steev

Thread Bump!  We have The Bubble Wright signed up to attend as well as a performance by an Aerial Angel!  If any of you who are musicians can be persuaded to attend, we could have live music for our Angel performance instead of having to use a PA...

Rani Zemirah

It sounds like soooo much fun!!!  I wish we had to funds to attend, but with gas even higher now there's just no way we could even get there.  :-\
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

chainsmith

I would love to go..but unfortunately be out west on a mission trip. If you lords and ladies get this going and do it again next year i will try and keep the time frame open. Good luck with this it looks like an awesome idea.

Steev

For those of you who are coming, here are some things you might want to bring (in addition to the requisite food, beverages, sunscreen, bug spray, etc...):

Closed toe shoes or boots- there IS poison ivy hiding low in the grass in parts of the fields.
Technu or other poison ivy barrier/treatment
Charcoal (grills provided but fuel other than wood will not)
Coolers and ice- you can never have too many places to stash beverages...
Canoes, kayaks or rafts plus life vests- we have 3 canoes and 2 kayaks available but these may be in heavy demand
Seating.  Unless you want to scrounge up a log, the ground is what we have available.
First aid.  We'll try to have some stuff available but the more ice packs, gatorade, sugar tablets, and band-aids, the better.

Lastly (and unrelated), anyone who can help clean up the site on Sunday eve will be my best friend and will help make it possible to hold this event again!