News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Favorite Eras

Started by The Lady Mercedes, November 02, 2009, 06:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Mercedes

What era/eras in history (outside Renaissance of course) do you love most? I have quite a few:
1800's
Victorian
1920's, 40's & 60's
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

Taffy Saltwater

Late Victorian/Edwardian, obviously.  I last had a bout w/Victoriana in the late 80's/early '90's.  Wish I'd held onto some of that stuff.

Pre-revolutionary France just fascinates me.  Anything Marie Antoinette, any movie based on Pierre Choderlos de Laclos' Dangerous Liaisons, the movie Quills about the Marquis de Sade & am currently reading a biography of the Marquis.  Let's not forget the gorgeous Watteau gowns *sigh*.

Colonial New Mexico from 1598 when my ancestors were amongst those who came from Mexico & through Mexico from Spain.  My favorite earrings are reproductions of colonial Spanish earrings from the gift shop at a Santa Fe museum.

EDIT:  WelshWench, I meant to add Restoration England, and my beloved John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester.  Some of his works (some will be NSFW):

http://www.poemhunter.com/john-wilmot/
Sveethot!

Invy

this is really sad.. but I feel like I should have been around 18 in the 70's
yea 1970's

Welsh Wench

1960's without a doubt.
Woodstock generation.

Peace.

Edited to include Restoration England under Charles II.
Old Rowley.
Look it up!
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Athena

Ancient Greece
The Eighteenth Century
Regency England
The Roaring Twenties
The 1930's & 1940's
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Capt Spleen

Fashionable Glam of the 1930's and 40's.
Glam 80's
And for perspective and natures cleansing, the plague years 1579 - Norwich
                                                                                 1665 - Newcastle on the Tyne
For the recent Swine (H1N1) Pig flu............................      1917-18 Spanish Flu

RSLeask

Favorites for me are:

Ancient Greece/Early (read: pre-Christianity) Roman
Ancient Japan and the dynasties of China
Medieval England (I actually prefer the Crusade eras over Victorian)
The Wild West of the mid- to late-1800s.
1960s (what I would have given to been involved when NASA was making leaps and bounds during that decade).
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

Noble Dreg

The Devonian, don't know why but it has always held a strong alure for me...Hey, you did ask.

"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Lady Renee Buchanan

Middle Ages around the 1200's, Robin Hood time.

60's, I was just a tad too young for the hippies and Woodstock generation (but that didn't stop me from thinking I was one of them!)
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

renren

The ancient Celts always fascinate me!

Ancient Egyptians, too.

Those are my top 2, other than ren-era, but I find all history very interesting!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Lady Rebecca

The English Restoration of the 1600s
English or French through all of the 1700s (up to about 1790)
1947 through the early 60s - basically everything that followed Dior's New Look

And yes, this is pretty much all based on the clothing!

The Lady Mercedes

Quote from: Lady Rebecca on November 02, 2009, 11:37:34 PM

I agree-all my decisions are based on fashion lol except the 60's: I love most of everything about them-the music, the fashion & all the action going on...everything seemed much more vibrant, exciting & fresh. Not to mention all the colors seemed more vibrant too!
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

Lady Rebecca

Quote from: The Honorable Lady Benton on November 03, 2009, 03:20:54 AM
Quote from: Lady Rebecca on November 02, 2009, 11:37:34 PM

I agree-all my decisions are based on fashion lol except the 60's: I love most of everything about them-the music, the fashion & all the action going on...everything seemed much more vibrant, exciting & fresh. Not to mention all the colors seemed more vibrant too!
Likewise, my 50s one is based on more than fashion, too. I decided a few years ago that 1939 would have been the perfect year to be born - to young to remember WWII, but raised with a mentality that everything is precious, due to the war and the Depression. You get to be a teenager during the sock-hop doowop time of the 50s, and go into the 60s with the movement of women into work. You start to raise a family in the 70s, which means the huge drug influx of the early 70s is over by the time your kids know better, etc.

SirRichardBear

pre 1000AD Wales,  Early Colonial period America, 1820 - 1890 Texas, 1930's, 
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin