News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Mundane News (aka weirdness in media)

Started by *Teach*, June 18, 2009, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbaldock

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

dbaldock

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

dbaldock

*Teach*

As a scientist, I fully agree with these findings
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/world/6504229.html
More research could be needed

*I wonder what influence rum would have on the results...*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

dbaldock

Quote from: *Teach* on July 02, 2009, 09:56:04 AM
As a scientist, I fully agree with these findings
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/world/6504229.html
More research could be needed

*I wonder what influence rum would have on the results...*

You might try doing your research for a month or two, while drinking some Rum --- and then continue doing your research for another month or two, without drinking your Rum.  With, or without Rum, your research should be fun ...  :D

Take Care,
David Baldock

renfairephotog

Man: Bear Mugged Me For Italian Sandwich

A northwestern New Jersey man said he was mugged in his driveway by a sandwich-craving bear.

Henry Rouwendal said he was packing his car last Friday when he was hit from behind and knocked to the ground. He said the culprit was a black bear who took his Italian sandwich.

Rouwendal said he kicked the bear in the snout and throat.

He said the bruin made off with the bread, salami and other meats but left behind the lettuce, onions and tomatoes.

Vernon Township police said it's the first time a bear has attacked a person in the rural community in more than 25 years.

The state Environmental Protection Department so far has classified it as an "incident" and not an attack.

___

Information from: The Star-Ledger, http://www.nj.com/starledger
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

NoBill Lurker

Squirrely situation

I have put this here or maybe I should have put it in "Puppies, Heavage and Regional Differences?"   ;D LOL
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

dbaldock

Quote from: NoBill Lurker on July 03, 2009, 10:31:55 PM
Squirrely situation

I have put this here or maybe I should have put it in "Puppies, Heavage and Regional Differences?"   ;D LOL

You've got to show that link to Blue!

So, go ahead and post it in the other thread.

renfairephotog

Fairy photographer

dbaldock

renfairephotog

this showed in in google reader.

Repel Flies with a Bag of Water [Summer]
from Lifehacker by Rosa Golijan

We've featured many, many, many different ways to deal with mosquitoes using DIY solutions. But what about the even more common household fly? Turns out all you need to deal with that is a plastic bag or two.

Photo by brookage.

RickyC wrote in to tell us that he recently visited a lakeside restaurant and noticed some clear plastic bags filled with water hanging from the railings. When he inquired about the bags, a waiter explained that they were used to repel flies.

Question-and-answer web site The Straight Dope gives more detail on why this trick works:

Evidently, houseflies, being highly edible and defenseless, are nervous types, and don't like to sit still when they see something moving nearby, because it could be a predator. The water bag acts a bit like a lens—try it some time—in which the movements of people in the area are reflected. Even if the fly is too far from the action to see it directly, it can see a shifting of light and dark in the water bag, which it interprets as nearby movement, and it will fly away from the bag.

So, next time you have a fly problem, grab a few plastic bags, fill 'em up, and let us know how this trick works for you. Likewise, share how you keep unwanted insects out of your backyard—including whether or not you've tried this method before—in the comments.
What's the Purpose of bags of water hanging in restaurants? [The Straight Dope]

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1956/whats-the-purpose-of-bags-of-water-hanging-in-restaurants
Fairy photographer

dbaldock

I've seen that technique being used at a restaurant near Dallas that had outdoor dining on some wooden decks.

renfairephotog

Fairy photographer

renfairephotog

3 Smart Things About Beer Marketing
from Wired Top Stories by Brook Wilkinson

1 // The mountains on a Coors Light can are poor arbiters of taste.
The peaks turn blue at "optimal drinking temperature," or 39°F and colder. But beer loses flavor at that temp: It releases fewer volatile chemicals, and your tongue's ability to taste bitterness is diminished. Luckily, with Coors that makes little difference.

2 // Miller Lite's "triple hops brewed" claim isn't anything special.
Three doses of hops is fairly standard. Some craft breweries throw in more or even add it continuously, to create bitterness, flavor, and aroma.

3 // Budweiser calls itself "the Great American Lager," which is a bit of a misnomer.
The original German lagers were made exclusively from barley. Bud also uses rice. This generally cheaper ingredient can make up a quarter to two-thirds of the grains used in domestic macrobrews. You know, for that oh-so-watery appeal.

Fairy photographer

dbaldock

Quote from: renfairephotog on July 10, 2009, 12:37:04 AM
Family leave urine trial  to lure lost dog

I hope they meant trail, rather than trial, because ... which court would you go to for a urine trial?  LOL!   ;D