News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Loki and other Liquers

Started by bellevivre, June 18, 2009, 11:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Sabrina Black on March 15, 2011, 09:02:31 PM
Ok does anyone use hard candies to flavor their Loki? If so, does it work well and is there anything special that needs to be done?

i have used cinnamon redhots for hot apple - they just dissolve when heating the apple cider and juice.  They also add a bit of sugar. I also add a bit of cinnamon schnapps (hot damn 100).
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Blue66669

Last time I checked, the simple syrup goes in first... like, it's the very first step. That is, if we're talking about loki.
Blaidd Drwg

Alphena Brennafax

Quote from: WarCat on March 16, 2011, 01:17:55 PM
Last time I checked, the simple syrup goes in first... like, it's the very first step. That is, if we're talking about loki.

Hmm- that's true- the Loki recipie adds the sugar first off. But since I'm not using extracts, I figured I should soak the apples first and then add the sugar once its strained. I guess this is a trial and error batch :)

Wolfhawker

Has any one tried Swizzlers (red or Black)?
Na Fir Dileas
Clan McLotofus - The Order of Culloden Moor
QOH/QRHG
IBRS #1654
RMG #921
Assassin's Guild
RenRat Nat

Blue66669

Quote from: Alphena Brennafax on March 16, 2011, 02:00:35 PM
Quote from: WarCat on March 16, 2011, 01:17:55 PM

Hmm- that's true- the Loki recipie adds the sugar first off. But since I'm not using extracts, I figured I should soak the apples first and then add the sugar once its strained. I guess this is a trial and error batch :)

I mean, not saying that it can't still be good. I think you're officially going towards a "decant" of a liqueur tho :D
Blaidd Drwg

Magister

This is the first time I've had to warn this thread.. so YAY.

However, a couple of the last few posts have gotten terribly close to the, "It's not Loki if ..." kind of statements I made it very clear won't be tolerated.  

This is just a proactive warning ... not picking on anyone!

Loki ... is just a cordial / liqueur.  Yes, in the beginning Loki (vanilla and almond flavoured grain alcohol) was distinct just as Guinness is a distinct beer.  However, today Loki is a general term used for flavoured cordials, just as you might say, "Kleenex" instead of tissues or tissue paper or where I'm from we say, "hoover" instead of vacuum cleaner.  It's simply a case of a name for a single concoction growing beyond itself within the Ren community - and it's stuck.

If one person adds sugar (or any other ingredient) first, second, third or never is irrelevant.  

Everyone and anyone should feel comfortable discussing the making of and recipes of these types of drinks without fear of being chastised or branded, "non-traditional" or "Un-Loki-like".  Yes, I've heard it.  Our goal here is to share, learn, and grow as a community!

Any future posts that may cross over the line will be deleted without notice.  First and only warning.

Thank you all for playing nice for so long, and I'd ask that it continue.

- Mag

I've had a few questions on why the warning.  It's because in the past we've experienced some problems with people, "bashing" (do people still say that?) others because their definition of, "Loki" varied from their own.  It's seems that Loki is one of the most sought after things for newcomers to the Ren community.  They get a taste at a fair or event and want to know what it is and how to make it.  There seems to be limited online resources for this and they often end up here (thank you GIS).  That is why our resources on the topic (of which this thread is a key one) should remain as open and welcoming - free from any hint of exclusion or prejudice towards a single method as possible.  Thank you for your understanding.  - Mag

Also.. at 150 replies and it's continued popularity I think this thread deserves to be stickied.  So there you go!
Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade

Drudonn

okay, I've got a question...

Using the "original" recipe I found in another thread on the forums, I started my first ever batch of Loki earlier tonight. I put in vanilla, almond, and anise extract (which altogether came out to about 1/2 cup). I added 1/4 cup of apple cider, & added this to the simple syrup. Unfortunately, the anise overwhelmed everything, and gave it such a strong licorice taste/odor, that I threw in about 10 teabags (mostly earl grey, but some peppermint and peach tea as well). This mitigated the licorice taste somewhat (I'm not really a fan of licorice), but it still tastes sooooooo sweet, it's like drinking a super-sweet thick desert wine (the liquid itself is not thick--it's just so sweet).

I then added the everclear & put it away to sit for a while, so I don't know how it'll turn out yet, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to cut the sweetness some?

-----

I'd just like to add that nobody told me the hardest part about making Loki. It's not getting the proportions or flavors right. It's having 4+ bottles of alcohol in my pantry and not being able to drink any yet. gahhhh!!!

Drudonn

Okie Dokie

I've got about 5 1/2 bottles in the pantry that taste like a mix of a sweet desert wine and cough syrup. Trying to figure out what will do to fix it...any suggestions?

I think I'll put a bit more water & alcohol, in order to dilute the sugar, and then probably some more vanilla to smooth out the taste. But if anyone has any ideas, that would be helpful.

Sabrina Black

Making my first batch of Loki tonight. Just curious, using the original recipe, do I need to let the water/sugar mix cool after boiling before adding the everclear?
Wench-in-training

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Sabrina Black on May 12, 2011, 09:58:15 AM
Making my first batch of Loki tonight. Just curious, using the original recipe, do I need to let the water/sugar mix cool after boiling before adding the everclear?

I do.  Since the everclear is a bit healthy on the alcohol content, I think it makes sense to add it to a not hot mixture.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Sabrina Black

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on May 12, 2011, 11:28:30 AM
Quote from: Sabrina Black on May 12, 2011, 09:58:15 AM

I do.  Since the everclear is a bit healthy on the alcohol content, I think it makes sense to add it to a not hot mixture.

Thanks!  I'm not really up for risking my eyebrows but wasn't sure if it was supposed to be added to a hot mixture.  Thanks for the help!
Wench-in-training

Kaldea

I got to try Loki at the Tex. Ren Faire a couple years back. It was a peppermint flavor. Problem is, I was told if I tried it I would get the basic recipe... No one gave it to me. A lot of promises but no followup... Anyone got a basic recipe that I can play with? I want to LEARN!!!

Francisco Paula

as it was passed to me i pass it on

1/2 gallon of Water
One 2lb bag of Sugar
1/2 cup of Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup of Almond Extract
750 ml (one fifth) of Everclear

1. Mix Water and Sugar together in a large pot over a medium heat. Ensure
that all the Sugar melts.
2. Allow to cool completely.
3. Add the Extracts and Everclear.
4. Bottle in glass and store in the dark for at least a 3 months.
This will produce about a gallon of Loki, so be prepared with enough containers.
5. Drink responsibly.

now when i make mine i cut the recipe down to a quarter so i can try to do 4 different types to a bottle of everclear

CaraGreenleaf

So, I found myself in a quandary a couple weeks ago. In our backyard we have a wild-grown, fruit-bearing White Mulberry tree. When ripe, the berries look almost like blackberries in size, shape, and colour! And so sweet! But I managed to harvest two full mixing bowls worth in 2 weeks. And probably another 8 dozen in the next 2 weeks to come! So I made Loki. I "doubled" the base recipe, using a gallon of water and 4lb bag of sugar. I'd tried making Loki in the past using fresh fruit, but failed to properly strain out the pulp...so it settled funny.
So this time, I puree'd the fruit in a blender, then ran it through a fine strainer, then placed the remaining pulp in a cheesecloth, then squeezed the living hell out of it, and poured all 4 cups or so of the fruit juice into the batch. Poured in a gallon of Everclear, and now we have to sit and wait. Between the beautiful chocolaty-plum colour, the already full flavour and the fact we know how good it is...it will definitely be hard to avoid drinking all 4 gallons before its fully aged!!
Castleteer, IWG# 3606, MERC# 836, PRIV# 1311
Flog'n M'Crack, Chieftess of O'Cinneide

Corseter, Costumer and Crochete

amy

I absolutely LOVE the flavored Vodka esamples!  That is so simple and looks sooo good!   Thank you Thank you!  I will definately be making some of those (especially the butterscotch!)