News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Loki and other Liquers

Started by bellevivre, June 18, 2009, 11:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sealion

After one disasterous attempt at mead making Iv'e turned to cordial. I'm guessing from the previous posts that Loki and cordial are the same thing but maybe Loki isn't aged long? I was told that I should let my cordials sit for a minimum of three months and that six would be better. I started a batch of blackberry and a batch of peach a couple of weeks ago and have some cherries waiting to be pitted and covered in vodka.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

bellevivre

loki, since it's primarily made with various extracts, CAN be drunk immediately- it does benefit from aging, though! Oh, and most cordials are vodka or brandy- where loki is always Everclear... otherwise, yes, it's the exact same premise
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: bellevivre on July 15, 2009, 12:46:47 PM
loki, since it's primarily made with various extracts, CAN be drunk immediately- it does benefit from aging, though! Oh, and most cordials are vodka or brandy- where loki is always Everclear... otherwise, yes, it's the exact same premise

I remember seeing a post that you were making Apple Pie Loki, this year.  Are you using Apple Pie liqueur in yours?
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

bellevivre

Nope- it'll be boiled apple cider (it's cider reduced to a syrup) brown sugar, allspice and cloves
Belle the Kat

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Hmmmm... i'm doing my first batch this weekend.  I was going to cut down on the apple juice(recipe that i found) and add the liqueur... what do you think?
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

bellevivre

it all depends on what result you are looking for- adding the liquer would certainly make a more intense flavor...

Really, i just experiment- I have lots of hits and misses! But I've never had one that wasnt at least good to mix with something...
Belle the Kat

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Thanks... i'll probably have this thread up while i'm brewing.  ;D  I'll let you know the turn out.
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

bellevivre

OOOOORR- you can trade for a bit of 18 yr Glenfiddich!
Belle the Kat

gracefulcarrie

We made some nutella loki and it is to die for.
I love nutella, and the loki is even better.

bellevivre

My nutella will start filtering tonight- I'm really hopeful it comes out well! I have to have at least one non-failure batch ='D
Belle the Kat

Muffin

Quote from: gracefulcarrie on July 15, 2009, 03:05:22 PM
We made some nutella loki and it is to die for.
I love nutella, and the loki is even better.

YAY!!! Can't wait to see what you guys came up with!!!  ;D
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Blue66669

Quote from: bellevivre on July 15, 2009, 03:09:17 PM
My nutella will start filtering tonight- I'm really hopeful it comes out well! I have to have at least one non-failure batch ='D

"Filtering"??? I wasn't aware that loki had to filter...
Blaidd Drwg

bellevivre

it does when you make it with organics! my Nutella has real hazelnuts and real cocoa...
Belle the Kat

bellevivre

Nutella filtered, may run through one more time... now to add sugar, taste, and decide if I need to add some hazelnut extract- I think the dark cocoa powder I used may have overwhelmed the hazelnuts...
Belle the Kat

Yrose

I've got mine all made up and aging. I have made pumpkin pie, chocolate almond, white chocolate carmel, and white chocolate macadamia. I have some left from last year too, blackberry, butterscotch, and vanilla.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!