News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Loki and other Liquers

Started by bellevivre, June 18, 2009, 11:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Is it better to let loki and other type concoctions (sp?) age refrigerated, room/cellar temp?  Most of the loki I make I let sit at room temp (lower level, so it is a bit cooler) and seems to do fine.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

I allow mine to age at room temp, in a dark closet.  I leave it in one gallon jugs until a few weeks before faire, then bottle it in fifth/liter bottles.
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Laird Fraser of Lovatt on July 20, 2011, 08:27:44 AM
I allow mine to age at room temp, in a dark closet.  I leave it in one gallon jugs until a few weeks before faire, then bottle it in fifth/liter bottles.

I use moslty glass, but I do have a few plastic - any issues you have found with bottles?
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Butch

I made the butterscotch vodka.  Dissolved RIGHT AWAY!  I used a liter of vodka, so I used 110 disks instead of 100.

While I was contemplating making the butterscotch, I decided I would try using Lemonheads in another batch.  The weight of 100 butterscotch disks was approx equal to 4 boxes of Lemonheads.  I made the Lemonhead vodka.  WOW!!!  FANTASTIC!!!

I will bring them both with me to MN RenFest in Sep.  Yumm-Oh!

Ms Trish

Quote from: Butch on August 01, 2011, 08:04:57 PM
I made the butterscotch vodka.  Dissolved RIGHT AWAY!  I used a liter of vodka, so I used 110 disks instead of 100.

While I was contemplating making the butterscotch, I decided I would try using Lemonheads in another batch.  The weight of 100 butterscotch disks was approx equal to 4 boxes of Lemonheads.  I made the Lemonhead vodka.  WOW!!!  FANTASTIC!!!

Okay, MUST find you at faire! When will you be up here?
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

Butch

Labor Day weekend.  Look for the BLUE HAIR!!

MrHyde

Quote from: Butch on August 01, 2011, 08:04:57 PM

I figured they would be well received.  I will give the Lemonheads a shot.  I am not a huge lemon fan but my wife is.  I moved the recipes to the recipe thread:  http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=358.0

Ms. Trish check out the link.  I am sure finding Butch for a draw of his vodka would be more fun but you never know what you might create as well.

Butch.... you should post the recipe for the Lemonheads in the other thread for all to see.  I am sure everyone would be very excited.
Home Faire - Texas Renaissance Festival
Frequent - Scarborough, Four Winds, Sherwood, and Middlefaire as well.

Lady Kett

Quote from: Butch on August 01, 2011, 08:26:08 PM
Labor Day weekend.  Look for the BLUE HAIR!!

HEY! It's NOT hair! I even have this little thingymabob in my pouch that explains it!!!!  ;)

Butch

HA!  After all the time I've spent educating people, I turn around and make the same mistake!  Blue hair indeed!  There's a REASON I stalk you!

sloth

So we just cracked open our first batch of Loki ever and wow wow wow!  Its delish!  We made it Mexican Vanilla flavored and it tastes like faery nectar (that's the only way I can think to explain it).  Needless to say, definitely going to keep up the Loki-makin'.  Next up, dark cherry chocolate.

bellevivre

apple pie spice loki made last august- it was a little harsh at TRF, but now... oh wow.

OH WOW.

mellow and sweet and appley and spicy!

Going to work another batch of this, and attempt butterbeer, before TRF this year...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

brooke

What types of bottles do people use for their loki/cordials?

I have in the past used old liquor bottles for this type of thing, but would corked wine bottles work?

Alphena Brennafax

I'm wondering the same thing Brooke- I've got two litres to bottle for Oct and orginally I wanted to use something like this to pass out as favors.

But I'm worries about the cork not keeping a tight seal. So, I think I'm going to go with hermetic flasks that I saw used on the other Loki thread.

I think if you find good quality corks, then reused wine bottles should work. Maybe you can wax dip the tops to help it seal better?

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I use a variety, and corked wine bottles is one type (although you cannot get the cork in very far  ??? )
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Magister

Brooke and Gauwyn:

I've gifted in corked wine bottles before (had extras from a previous wine batch) and they work great.  Obviously, once uncorked you either need to drink the whole bottle, jam the cork back in, or use a wine saver type replacement cork.  It's no different than wine. except this stuff will likely not turn to vinegar on you.

As for getting the cork in... I used the same method as corking a wine bottle.  Boil the corks for a few minutes until they are soft and pliable, then used a corking tool (buy from wine making store) or tongs and a rubber mallet (be careful) to put the now softened cork all the way in the bottle.  Let cork dry out.. it will expand.

One thing to be cautious of is if you ever try to cork a carbonated (fizzy) liquid.  It can either push the cork right back out or cause the bottle to explode. 
Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade