News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Loki and other Liquers

Started by bellevivre, June 18, 2009, 11:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

I found square flip-seal bottles on a website- I just wish they were!  dark, as, for recipes with organics in (like my apple pie) light is a BAD thing...

ah, here we go- this is the website: http://www.specialtybottle.com/swingtopbottlesmi.aspx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: bellevivre on August 12, 2011, 04:05:21 PM
I found square flip-seal bottles on a website- I just wish they were!  dark, as, for recipes with organics in (like my apple pie) light is a BAD thing...

ah, here we go- this is the website: http://www.specialtybottle.com/swingtopbottlesmi.aspx

The individual prices on that site are awesome... but the shipping is pretty much a killer!  I've had my eye on those for a while now, but shipping for any sort of glass is just so incredibly high...  :-\ 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Merlin the Elder

I would think that Grolsch beer bottles would be dandy for this purpose—the ones with the ceramic top.  You can get new seals from any brewing supply store. You could also use returnable beer bottles, if you can still get them in your area. Again, capping supplies are easily attainable.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

brooke

I love all of the swingtop bottles!  However, since I already have old wine bottles and corking equipment (make my own wine).  I think I am going to go the easy route and use those. 

I bottled limoncello this week and have pineapple cordial in progress  ;D

Butch

I realized I hadn't put up the recipe for the Lemonhead Vodka yet.

Here we go:

1 litre of vodka (I used Military Special vodka)
4 pkgs (6 oz each) of Lemonheads candy

Put the vodka into a sealable container large enough to hold both the vodka and the candy.
Put the candy into the vodka.
The candy dissolves in less than 2 days, with almost no sediment.
Strain the mixture through a cloth after you are certain the candy is completely dissolved (I waited about 2 weeks).
Let age, decant, and enjoy!

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Butch on September 16, 2011, 08:37:23 PM
I realized I hadn't put up the recipe for the Lemonhead Vodka yet.

I can attest, this is AWESOME ! (thanks, Butch)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Charmer

I'm wanting to make a pumpkin pie loki. any suggestions? and yes, i understand it's trial and error, but it would be nice to have a little help on this one.  :)

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Charmer on October 10, 2011, 10:57:46 AM
I'm wanting to make a pumpkin pie loki. any suggestions? and yes, i understand it's trial and error, but it would be nice to have a little help on this one.  :)

I have made several using coffee flavoring syrups (sweetened up a bit with sugar and water and to also cut the flavor a bit).  This past weekend I saw pumpkin by Toriani ( not sure of the exact spelling
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Magister

@Charmer

This has come up a few times over the years.  Usually around this season... hmm I wonder why? ;)

At the top of the forum on the right hand side is a search box.  If you put in the term: pumpkin pie   ... WHILE viewing this thread, so it only searches here, you will find a good bit of information on the subject.  There are even a few, "starter" recipes that others have posted.  They do speak directly to the Torani (SIC, I'm sure) syrups as well.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

- Mag
Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade

sloth

I was wondering with those of you that make pie loki, do you use an extract to simulate the whipped cream taste? if so, what do you use? if not, is the taste still obvious without the cream taste? I have the flavors down in my head for pumpkin pie (I know, I know), but have now hit a speed bump.

Ms Trish

Looking for a suggestion - want to filter some of the sediment out of my latest loki flavor attempt. Any suggestions on how I should go about that? Coffee filters are all that is coming to mind.
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

Merlin the Elder

It would seem that you'd have to be able to drip slowly to filter with coffee filters...not a lot of surface area. We used to filter grease from deep fryers through some quite large conical filters. They would be able to process a lot more Loki in a shorter time. The filters are very much like coffee filters, but probably not as dense.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Sitara

You can use coffee filters, just put them into a funnel and then let it drip into a container.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Captain Teague

I might suggest a reusable coffee filter over a paper one. They drain through much more quickly than paper ones. Maybe place it into an extra large funnel or into an old filter cup off a coffemaker. Cost a few bucks for a round one at Walmart, or get fancy with one that looks like it would fit right into a funnel.
http://www.amazon.com/Medelco-Cone-Permanent-Coffee-Filter/dp/B000TCZRKW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_5

The Code is the Law...

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: sloth on October 14, 2011, 09:11:06 AM
I was wondering with those of you that make pie loki, do you use an extract to simulate the whipped cream taste? if so, what do you use? if not, is the taste still obvious without the cream taste? I have the flavors down in my head for pumpkin pie (I know, I know), but have now hit a speed bump.

Whipped cream vodka... or extra vanilla syrup.
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God