News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Loki and other Liquers

Started by bellevivre, June 18, 2009, 11:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

Nutella Loki is decanted- it SMELLS of chocolate, but TASTES of hazelnut- even hubby, who is kindof a Loki purist and doesnt much care for the various flavors, thinks I may be onto something... need to buy more EC for the Apple Pie- can do that when he's gone...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

I've got my batch of apple cinnamon aging... not sure how it'll turn out but with a liter of Everclear and a fifth of Apfelkorn it'll sure as hell put hair on a que ball, make you shave your tongue or have you running naked in the moonlight.  My brother & I were thinking of calling it Eeeevillll.   :D
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

bellevivre

well, if the apple was what the debil made eve eat, why not Eve's Temptation?

I think my Nutella needs to be Ella's Chocolate Nut or somewhat...

Alien Wine I'm still struggling with- I'm mulling steeping it with more hibiscus flower- it''s not so much bitter from the lime, but WAYYY too limey...
Belle the Kat

Varm

I got introduced to loki last year when a friend invited me back to there campsite. Boy the flavors where wonderful, cherry,Cinnamon,watermelon,lemon, and some others i cant remember after the bottles started to pass around 2 or 3 at a time. I would much like to return the favor and bring some this year to the Halloween weekend. If anyone could spare a non-secret recipe I would be much appreciated and would even offer up a bottle of the brew to you. Thanks in advance, new brewer to be Varm.

Blue66669

Ok, so I've found myself in a quandry. I have a friend that has decided to make loki- only problem is, she keeps using VODKA in it! Can that still be considered loki? It just seems epically wrong to me...

*edit*

She uses the everclear as well, but uses flavored vodkas in formulating her flavors.
Blaidd Drwg

bellevivre

if it's EC AND Vodka, I'd say that's loki.

Just vodka, sorry, I call that a cordial...
Belle the Kat

Lady Kett

Quote from: Yrose on July 22, 2009, 09:01:02 AM
pumpkin pie

Which faire may I come to in order to beg for some of that? That sounds SO YUMMY!

Blue66669

Kett, you can find Yrose at TRF!!!
Blaidd Drwg

Lady Kett

Score! See you TG weekend! LOL.

ravic

Quote from: blue66669 on September 16, 2009, 09:24:21 AM
Ok, so I've found myself in a quandry. I have a friend that has decided to make loki- only problem is, she keeps using VODKA in it! Can that still be considered loki? It just seems epically wrong to me...

*edit*

She uses the everclear as well, but uses flavored vodkas in formulating her flavors.

Would depend on the proportions. The vodka would need to be no more than just enough for the flavor. Frankly, I think she would do better with the extracts.

bellevivre

WOOT! Rennie Score! Just found an extra half bottle of everclear- 1 cup of boiled cider, 1/3 c brown sugar, 2 c simple syrup, a handful of allspice berries, 1 tbs ea of ginger and nutmeg, and a couple black peppercorns (yes, that's the 'aut...hentic' way to do that type of seasoning.) Only a week to mellow, but we'll see how it goes!

Nutella is sugared- late to the party, i know, but OOOH it smells faboo- i'lll taste once it settles...
Belle the Kat

Stephanie, lady perfumer

This sounds fabulous! I had not heard of loki before the forums here. I am going to have to try this.

So is Loki a traditional/period thing? I wasn't finding much in google. Following links here I've found great sites with recipes for wines and whatnot. I plan on trying to make Ypocras along with some loki experiments.

Bellevivre, might be too late now but I'd bet cardamom would make a really nice sub for cinnamon and go well with the other spices!
perfumer of Iris Adornments and Apothecary ~ Sherwood Forest Faire

Fly'n Penny

Quote from: blue66669 on July 20, 2009, 08:11:22 AM
Quote from: bellevivre on July 15, 2009, 03:09:17 PM
My nutella will start filtering tonight- I'm really hopeful it comes out well! I have to have at least one non-failure batch ='D

"Filtering"??? I wasn't aware that loki had to filter...

Blue,  I've just made my 4th or 5th batch of apple pie now, and I use real apple cider in it.  With this latest batch, I've had to triple filter it, because some people don't like the settling of the tiny particles that made it through the filtering.  I say it gives it better flavor, as this is the stuff originally in the cider.  I'll let you be the judge the next time I see you.
Fly'n Penny
Oidhre Léir of Clan Byrne, of the Irish Penny Brigade
Quartermaster of the HMS Foggy Dirge
IFoRP #1297
Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy #27

Valiss

I was thinking about making some apple cinnamon lokie for the holidays coming up. Has anyone tried to put in a stick or two of cinnamon for flavoring? If so, did it work and how many sticks did you put in?

Valiss

doesnt look like it posted..... nevermind, there it is.  :)