News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Loki and other Liquers

Started by bellevivre, June 18, 2009, 11:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

who's got their loki bottled? Ours is done! did apple pie spice again, used mulling spices in a teabag and i think this'll be better than last year- wheee!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Blue66669

Quote from: Valiss on August 10, 2010, 11:20:25 AM
I was thinking about making some apple cinnamon lokie for the holidays coming up. Has anyone tried to put in a stick or two of cinnamon for flavoring? If so, did it work and how many sticks did you put in?

Use two sticks per bottle, then remove them after a month.
Blaidd Drwg

Francisco Paula

I was introduced to Loki by some scondrels that came to corf to visit and so want to try making some. If someone could renmail me an idea of what is used i would love to play. Or just give me a starting point, i will warn i love to play with recipes.

Valiss

Quote from: blue66669 on August 10, 2010, 03:17:15 PM
Quote from: Valiss on August 10, 2010, 11:20:25 AM
I was thinking about making some apple cinnamon lokie for the holidays coming up. Has anyone tried to put in a stick or two of cinnamon for flavoring? If so, did it work and how many sticks did you put in?

Use two sticks per bottle, then remove them after a month.

Are there any ill effects if I leave them in longer? DO the sticks break down, or get too spicy or something?

bellevivre

when you steep cinnamon in alcohol, youre pulling out all the essential oils- I wouldnt steep for TOO long, because some people (like me) get burnt gums from it- I used a teabag to boil together my non-booze ingredients, then just pull that out when it's at a flavor I like. big spices, like cinnamon sticks, you can do the same way.
Belle the Kat

Blue66669

The sticks don't break down, but the longer you leave it, the spicier it will get. Just add them into the bottles when you bottle them, maybe even keep a string tied around them so that it's easy to remove.
Blaidd Drwg

bellevivre

some say the only real loki is that made with everclear, almond extract, vanilla extract, and white sugar... but, I think Loki is the name for any liquor made on those principals, with everclear or another grain alcohol.

besides, if it's NOT loki, why are there different flavor categories when you have a loki tasting contest?
Belle the Kat

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: bellevivre on August 10, 2010, 06:27:24 PM
some say the only real Loki is that made with everclear, almond extract, vanilla extract, and white sugar... but, I think Loki is the name for any liquor made on those principals, with everclear or another grain alcohol.

besides, if it's NOT Loki, why are there different flavor categories when you have a Loki tasting contest?

You forgot the "funky fungi" too, that was in original Loki.  Never tried traditional... although that's slated for next year....

My 4 flavors are bottled...
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

bellevivre

REALLY!?

I never heard that...wow...lol seems I'm missing on my organics!
Belle the Kat

Lady Rosaline

Friday I'll be attempting my second batch of Loki. I'm thinking about Hot Chocolate. I found a really cool store near me that sell all kinds of extracts and flavorings.  Wish me luck, lol.
I'm the reason the rum is gone! (Unless Teach is near by!)

Magister

Sir Garath:

Congratulations on asking what is the most asked question in the Crafting Corner section of the site! *Golf Clap*

Ok, all joking aside, that is actually the most asked question we get here in this section of the website.  If I had a nickel, and all that.

It seems there is ALOT of mystique around Loki in the Renn community.  The simple answer is, Loki is a cordial or liqueur made from typically a strong grain alcohol, like the brand Everclear, or in some cases vodka as a base and other flavouring agents added.  These flavours may be natural like cinnamon sticks, berries and vanilla extract or synthetic like the commercial flavourings you can purchase at most brewing stores. 

The most basic process involves steeping your flavouring agents in the grain alcohol for a specific length of time, filtering, ageing, an drinking.  It can get much more involved as you may discover reading over the forum and talking to the others on here that make their own.

The exact proportions of each ingredient is what many consider their specific Loki, "secret recipe".  The simple truth is you can find more than a few cordial recipes online, or you can experiment and find one you like.

I would suggest you familiarise yourself with the search function of the RF.com forum.  You can find it at the very top of the page sandwiched between, "Help" and "Chat".  You may also want to start with these:

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=358.0
http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=7676.0
http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=363.0

Moderator's Note:

I'm adding this note because of past issues that have come up when this question has been asked.  Please contain yourself if you have any desire to start with the, "It's only Loki if ..." and "Loki is all about the feeling ..." type comments.  Any posts that even remotely appear to diverge in to this territory again will be deleted without notice.  Please keep all posts on topic.  Thanks.

Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade

Francisco Paula

Thank you all for the information.

need to make the basic recipe first to get an feel for it then i already have alot of ideas rolling around in the head. Like using cinnamon sticks from different parts of the world and the same with vanilla. Oh and don't get me started on the flavored sugar you can get.....okay i work just a couple minutes from two wonderful spice shops.

LadyStitch

Wish you luck. Can't wait to hear how it turns out. :)
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Magister

GoodyTombShoes:

I love that site.  I posted a link to it in the recipe thread years ago.  I've had mixed luck with some of the recipes off the site, but the thoroughness of the directions and information makes it just too good a resource to ignore.

Sir Garath:

You can find a copy of a basic recipe supplied by Teach (another member) in one of the threads I posted above.  The second one I think.  Good luck!
Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade

SandrineDeLaTombe

Quote from: bellevivre on August 10, 2010, 06:27:24 PM
some say the only real loki is that made with everclear, almond extract, vanilla extract, and white sugar...

I made my first batch recently, and this is how I made it, although I fear I put too much vanilla extract in it. I guess we'll find out when I break it out for TRF.
I aim to misbehave