News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Loki and other Liquers

Started by bellevivre, June 18, 2009, 11:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zardoz

Quote from: GoodyTombShoes on September 08, 2010, 08:24:54 AM
why not brown sugar? yes yes I know the Loki creed.

Why not? I use a percentage of brown sugar in my Apathetic Amber, be careful, it can effect the taste a bit.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Kesrick

Quote from: Sir Garath on September 07, 2010, 04:07:53 PM
We are going to throw together a batch of apple cinnamon, which i figure i will use apple juice or cider and cinnamon extract to try. 

Use cold pressed apple cider, it actually tastes like apple when you are done.  You can filter out the apple pulp if you wish, but I prefer to leave it in.

Anyone that has had my Apple Pie Loki can attest to this.
Lairde Drunk'n Penny - O'Morda
Lord High Drunkard 2010
IBRSC #1536
RenMerc #847
Brute Squad #3
Brute Force for hire! (ignorance is still free)

Valiss

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on September 07, 2010, 06:15:08 PM
The peppermint and chocolate loki we made we tried it just after a few weeks and its tastes great and the liqour flavor is calming down beautifully. We are going to throw together a batch of apple cinnamon, which i figure i will use apple juice or cider and cinnamon extract to try.

Now i have a question, if i wanted to make a carmel apple what would you suggest for the carmel flavoring since i have not found a carmel extract yet.

Try Monin syrups - they have caramel syrup. I know Amazon carries Monin products

I thought someone else here mentioned that if you use these syrups they dont mix completely and that we should be focusing on extracts?

Also if I use cider for Apple Loki, how long will that last seasled? Wont the cider go south after not being in the fridge for a few weeks? I'd really like to try this.

Francisco Paula

carmel extract found at a cake making shop so time to have some more fun.

Kesrick

That is why you use pressed cider and I guess the Everclear acts as a preservative.  Mine stays at room temperature for 6 months to a year with no ill effects at all.
Lairde Drunk'n Penny - O'Morda
Lord High Drunkard 2010
IBRSC #1536
RenMerc #847
Brute Squad #3
Brute Force for hire! (ignorance is still free)

bellevivre

Quote from: Valiss on September 09, 2010, 10:40:18 AM
The peppermint and chocolate loki we made we tried it just after a few weeks and its tastes great and the liqour flavor is calming down beautifully. We are going to throw together a batch of apple cinnamon, which i figure i will use apple juice or cider and cinnamon extract to try.

Now i have a question, if i wanted to make a carmel apple what would you suggest for the carmel flavoring since i have not found a carmel extract yet.

Try Monin syrups - they have caramel syrup. I know Amazon carries Monin products

I thought someone else here mentioned that if you use these syrups they dont mix completely and that we should be focusing on extracts?

Also if I use cider for Apple Loki, how long will that last seasled? Wont the cider go south after not being in the fridge for a few weeks? I'd really like to try this.

another idea- I use boiled apple cider for MY apple pie (can order it from King Arthur Flour) it's cider that has been reduced down to a syrup consistency- Ive never had it go 'off', which I assume is due to the EC... in fact, when I found a wee dram left in a flask and slurped it down, still tasted as sweet and good as the day it was decanted (well, better, for the aging!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

I used syrups, this year, and all of my batches came out just fine... it might also be what else ye add to the brew.
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

bellevivre

I think the risk with syrups is more about dilution- Loki is meant to be sweet- if you cut the syrups too much, you lose the flavor/sweet. that's why most use extracts, or add organics to the EC (which, in essence, is making an extract in the first place!)
Belle the Kat

Valiss

Quote from: Fraser of Lovatt on September 09, 2010, 05:40:59 PM

I used syrups, this year, and all of my batches came out just fine... it might also be what else ye add to the brew.

What brand did you use?

Gauwyn of Bracknell

i used Monin with a fair amount of sugar to maintain a high sweetness.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Lady Kett

I am trying (admittedly not too hard yet, so bear with me) to make a pumpkin pie sort of flavor. I know someone @ TRF had that flavor last year but darned if I can remember who or find the post. I got some Pumpkin something-or-other (oil? extract? flavor? I obviously have no freakin' idea) from King Arthurs but my experiments are not turning out so well. Have the pumpkin flavor but not the sweet or the spicy side. Which, without the sweet and spicy side of pumpkin pie, is not so good. Some interesting martinis have been made but nothing remotely close to what I really want it to taste like.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. My Google-fu is really failing me on the subject.

bellevivre

here's what I wouldve done:

take your pumpkin flavor, a smidge of butter flavor, and a cloth tea bag full of whole spices (whatever you use in punky pie) boil till the spices are fragrant.

add in sugar (brown sugar adds a nice hint of molasses) stir till sugar dissolves, then shut off heat and add your EC. Bottle, let age, and enjoy!

Re: aging- I always let mine age and it's better for it- especially when you use spices the spice can come off as pretty harsh if it doesnt have time to mellow- agree?

I also am opting for mainly dark colored bottles this year, with gasket lids...
Belle the Kat

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: Valiss on September 09, 2010, 05:59:06 PM
Quote from: Fraser of Lovatt on September 09, 2010, 05:40:59 PM

What brand did you use?

Monin... and they are plenty sweet.  We "tweak" ours. ;)  The Mounds Bar tastes exactly like the name... so does the banana nut bread. ;D
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Lady Kett on September 09, 2010, 08:38:48 PM
I am trying (admittedly not too hard yet, so bear with me) to make a pumpkin pie sort of flavor. I know someone @ TRF had that flavor last year but darned if I can remember who or find the post. I got some Pumpkin something-or-other (oil? extract? flavor? I obviously have no freakin' idea) from King Arthurs but my experiments are not turning out so well. Have the pumpkin flavor but not the sweet or the spicy side. Which, without the sweet and spicy side of pumpkin pie, is not so good. Some interesting martinis have been made but nothing remotely close to what I really want it to taste like.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. My Google-fu is really failing me on the subject.

so kett, you had some of what I made over the weekend - I did not think it was too bad for the first go :)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Aiacha

Random thought.  Since I use so much extract, even once it ages it's still ... er, potent in the olefactory department.  I have discovered letting it breathe a little gets it to really mellow out quickly, you know, kinda like fine wine  :)

I was also told that leaving it in the sun for a few hours hurries along the aging process, but I've not tried that yet.