News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

other legends than selkies..??

Started by act2redux, June 18, 2009, 11:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

act2redux

I was so taken with the selkie legend and the garb that goes with it that it got me to thinking - here in the midwest I don't think folks are familiar with that legend~  I had thought about doing the selkie thing that the other thread got me to envisioning for our mid-winter's ball. I thought that perhaps there might be similar legends but more familiar to our area.   However, being the tech challenged person I am, I can't think of nor google legends more familiar to our locality.  Would any of you have any suggestions re: either a specific character/legend or be able to help me figure out how to find them for myself??
thanks a bunch!!

Sitara

Fairies
Dryads
Nymphs
Harpies
Centaurs
Satyrs
Sirens
Medusa
Elves
Dwarves
Trolls
Orcs
Ogres
Hobbits
Huldra
Changelings

That is just off the top of my head.  Do a google search for info on any of them.  Or just search mythical creatures or beings.

Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Margaret

What nationality is predominant in your area or what are your nationalities?

That may be a good place to start for looking into 'familiar' myths and legands.  For example, I am orginially from the UP of Michigan where we are mostly Scandivanian, Italian and a smattering of other folks.  I would google "Swedish Mythology" or "Finnish Mythology", then go from there.

Good luck and have fun!!
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

act2redux

Mmmm...hadn't thought about it like that~ We are pretty diverse as a city, but I guess mostly german, french, italian,  I'm susre I could GET to selkie, but as a water based legend it seems to me that as a land locked area it won't be as recognizable around here.  Its not a character I would use for faire in the forseable future, so I could do whatever I wanted, certainly.   I simply thought if it was a more common myth for my area, it would be recognizable!

I'll try what you suggested and see what Icome up with - thanks!!

Selkie

There is the legend of the Lorelei that would sit on the rocks of the Rhine River in Germany. It's basically a variation on the mermaid myth, if you're wanting to do a mythical creature with aquatic origins.

Here's the Wikipedia entry on her: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorelei

I also just remembered the story of Melusine, a more generalized European tale with another mermaid-like being.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melusine

If you're interested, I could help you with the mythical creatures, since I'm a big folklore/mythology buff. :)
"I am a woman upon the land, I am a seal in the sea..."

act2redux

I would love that - I didn't start out to "userp" (sp?) your idea, but ..um..yeah...if I can't find SOMETHING I like better it'll probably be a selkie gown for me!  It doesn't have to be water related.  I am in the midwest with many different cultures feeding into ours.  As I said - the most obvious choices would be french, italian, germanic
I looked at native american - lots of buffalo and coyotes there- some birds
I am NOT young, sveldt  and fabulous looking- so some of the fairy choices seemed out to me!  I will look into Melusine  and lorelei when I get home from work. 
soooo- yep, any help or suggestions you might have.  I guess the concept of the seaweed skirt and still have a corset/ seaweed chemise got into my head!

wyckdblyss

WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

Selkie

That is a nice, thorough list of mythical creatures, WyckedBlyss. ^^

But yeah, I wanted to do a selkie because I've fallen for the folklore behind them and a selkie isn't a costume I've seen done very often, so I'm wanting to do something different.

act2redux

I snuck my way thru the C's at work - still nothing better than selkies - but I still have hope!

Selkie

What is it about the selkies that catches your interest so much? If I knew what fascinated you about them, it could be easier to figure out other alternatives to them.

act2redux

a couple of things I guess -

they are human but not nec. ageless/young
they aren't by nature, wicked / evil
no horse, goat, fish parts  instead of legs!

looked at Ginny Greenteeth and similar - possible- need more research
gonna keep looking - that list is a good one - got down to the "L"s tonight
let me know if you think of some other suggestion
There are a ton of the late teens/early 20's here doing fairys - so don't want to go there - oh, yeah, there was something about "hags" but haven't found enough yet to  make a decision.  I have plenty of time to keep looking...had no idea it would be this tough to find something I like!

Selkie

You know, ever since I started reading this thread, my mind keeps going back to the huldra. To me, it doesn't seem like an age-specific creature, it's got a human shape,  it's not necessarily evil by default, and there aren't  any specific animal parts (like you mentioned) other than a cow's tail or a fox's tail.  I can see an older and wiser version of a huldra just as much as I can a young one. That's the thing about myths: they can be interpreted in a variety of ways. This is just my opinion, but I like it when I see people think outside the box.

act2redux

Hmm - I'll go check that one out, thanks!

act2redux

well, from what I gather the Huldra hate humans - seem to be pretty nasty, cause awful stuff - lots of it by licking the human in question??..     

other sites have them listed as pretty benign sounding - so one or the other- they both seem to be a type of tree spirits...initially I could get into either.

however, did like the initial description of Lesidhe ~gonna check it out with a couple of other sources, but so far they sound pretty good...

I have a fair over the weekend - I'll research both some more and let ya know...

thanks again!

Hoowil

Have you thought about swanmays? Same basic concept as a selkie, but bears a shawl of swan feathers as a human (or hides it very securely) and takes the form of a swan instead of a seal. Generally a more inland type creature than a selkie.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Selkie

*nod* There are many stories with female shapeshifters like selkies and swanmays. I've even heard of a  wolf variant in Croatia. And swans are pretty much everywhere, just about. That'd be really pretty too, a long cloak or shawl of white feathers.

gem

Since I'm assuming you mean the midwest of North America, it's a fair bet that pretty much any European folklore is going to be as familiar (or, more likely, unfamiliar) as any other.  I think more people would know, for instance, what a selkie is than could recite the legends of Melusine or Jenny Greenteeth, or identify a Huldra (although I, personally, would really love to see the Melusine costume.)

Once you get out of the realm of generic fairy/LOTR elf/mermaid/werewolf, you're going to be in iffy territory for most people.

Now, just as a personal note... I've never found dressing to suit other people's expectations to be a path to garb happiness. :)  Pick a character/creature you like, make your garb around that, and use the opportunity to educate people!

act2redux

very true -  I am not sure which direction I will take with that...thankfully I have a couple of months to decide!  The next project is a version of Delores Umbridge - a bunch of us are gonna ride the train to Chicago "in garb" and see the H. Potter exibition at the museum and the new movie the same weekend! MMmmmm

I do love the swanmays story, but there is currently a woman at my home fair doing a version of that character - and quite well, I might add! 

I would never get to wear this character to any faire - I am highly involved in greyhound rescue and my fair character/garb is all about dogs, coursing and the like...   So this one is completely for something to do that is a step away from my own norm - just to play.

Selkie

Well, whatever character you do decide on, be sure to let us know and take pictures!  :) If it's a selkie, I definitely want to see that, but any costume would be great! ^^

act2redux

I'll keep you up on it - pics to be added later.  at the moment still torn between the tree spirit thing and the selkie - both seem like a fun way to play for a night or two