News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A question about leather and rain.

Started by Sir. Kindle, June 20, 2009, 12:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir. Kindle

Hello all,

I am planning on attending a local Pirate Faire tomorrow and the weather report is saying it's going to rain. I was planning on throwing together a piratey style outfit, using a brushed leather doublet as the center piece. My question is, will it hold up okay, if there is a steady flow of rain? It was quite expensive, so I wouldn't be able to replace it, if it were damaged. Also, I have a brushed leather Capitano Hat, which I'm considering wearing with the outfit, and fear that it might have difficulty surviving in the rain.

Here is a picture of my hat and doublet.

Sorry about the quality of the picture, but it is the best picture I can find that gives a good view of both the doublet and the hat.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to settle with going to the faire in mundane clothes.

Thanks in advance,

Sir. Kindle

Merlin

If it is quality leather...it will be fine. If it's cheap...you may find yourself coated in black dye.

Rub in some leather protector before you go and avoid standing in the down pour for long periods. Walking about in the rain won't hurt it a bit.

Cows seem to fair well in the rain.
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

RSLeask

Most leather I know of does fine in the rain.  Mundane, sure, but my leather trench coat actually keeps me nice and dry where it covers.  My leather doublet holds up pretty well, too.  Only thing, like was said above... watch out with the dye.  "Expensive" doesn't necessarily mean "well made". 
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

Sir. Kindle

Thank you RSLeask & Merlin!

I'm really not sure about the dye and whether it was "well made" or not. I did go to a local leather store today and purchased some rain resistant spray. I'm coating it right now. The leather worker at the store said that the spray should do the trick, as long as I keep moving and, as you said, don't stand in a down pour.

I think I'll risk it, unless it is really, really coming down. Besides, the shirt I'm wearing under it, while very nice, was obtained on the cheap, since it has some noticeable flaws (which are, conveniently, hidden by the doublet ;D). Since it's only a back up shirt for the real one, I'm not too concerned about the dye from the doublet bleeding onto it.

Thank you again.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Remember, leather is a skin. It will shrink after it has been soaked and then allowed to dry. But then, it will stretch out again with wear.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

act2redux

I don't know much about leather~ but my only concern would be if that particular leather piece is suede like it looks.