News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Mid-1500s Priest?

Started by PrincessSara, June 22, 2009, 07:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessSara

What would a priest in the early to mid 1500s have worn?  My father generally takes me to the Casa Loma Renaissance faire and I was looking to make him a costume so it wouldn't look so weird when he came up to talk to me.  Also, then when I told people he was my "father" it would make sense - since my character's father has been dead for three years.  My daddy would be playing personal chaplain/confessor to a daughter of the late Duke of Norfolk/sister of the current Duke.

I thought it would be easy for him to play a priest because he is no good at improv and hates doing all the interaction the rest of us do, so he could just walk around looking contemplative and he'd never have to say anything. ;)

Kate XXXXXX

Hmmm...  Dunno...  How about:

Mostly I would think a sober colour or black in the plainest of styles of the day for Protestants, with a gown similar to an academic gown and a hat.

McGuinness

Who are you playing, out of curiosity? I'm also playing one of the Hward clan at PaRF (Lady Jane Howard, Countess Westmoreland, sister of the 4th Duke of Norfolk).

Is your father playing Catholic or Protestant? The Howards were pretty staunchly Catholic during the time (which led to a lot of their problems) and if he was Catholic, he may be trying to hid it a bit more or may be going all out in their finery. Protestant would be a bit more somber and in black.

PrincessSara

He would be playing a Catholic priest, as the faire is set in 1527 so the Reformation hasn't swept England yet.  And the Howards were Catholic anyway.

I play Dorothy Howard, one of the children of the 2nd Duke of Norfolk from his second marriage to Agnes Tilney.

lys1022

Early 1500's through about 1535-ish would be a Catholic priest.  That would mean a cassock.  They haven't really changed much between then and now, so you can just purchase a cassock online.  Or if he wants to be a Friar, that's a possibility too, then you could go with monk's robes.
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.