News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

other legends than selkies..??

Started by act2redux, June 18, 2009, 11:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Selkie

*nod* There are many stories with female shapeshifters like selkies and swanmays. I've even heard of a  wolf variant in Croatia. And swans are pretty much everywhere, just about. That'd be really pretty too, a long cloak or shawl of white feathers.
"I am a woman upon the land, I am a seal in the sea..."

gem

Since I'm assuming you mean the midwest of North America, it's a fair bet that pretty much any European folklore is going to be as familiar (or, more likely, unfamiliar) as any other.  I think more people would know, for instance, what a selkie is than could recite the legends of Melusine or Jenny Greenteeth, or identify a Huldra (although I, personally, would really love to see the Melusine costume.)

Once you get out of the realm of generic fairy/LOTR elf/mermaid/werewolf, you're going to be in iffy territory for most people.

Now, just as a personal note... I've never found dressing to suit other people's expectations to be a path to garb happiness. :)  Pick a character/creature you like, make your garb around that, and use the opportunity to educate people!

act2redux

very true -  I am not sure which direction I will take with that...thankfully I have a couple of months to decide!  The next project is a version of Delores Umbridge - a bunch of us are gonna ride the train to Chicago "in garb" and see the H. Potter exibition at the museum and the new movie the same weekend! MMmmmm

I do love the swanmays story, but there is currently a woman at my home fair doing a version of that character - and quite well, I might add! 

I would never get to wear this character to any faire - I am highly involved in greyhound rescue and my fair character/garb is all about dogs, coursing and the like...   So this one is completely for something to do that is a step away from my own norm - just to play.

Selkie

Well, whatever character you do decide on, be sure to let us know and take pictures!  :) If it's a selkie, I definitely want to see that, but any costume would be great! ^^
"I am a woman upon the land, I am a seal in the sea..."

act2redux

I'll keep you up on it - pics to be added later.  at the moment still torn between the tree spirit thing and the selkie - both seem like a fun way to play for a night or two