News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Opening Weekend Recap

Started by lowlandscot, May 19, 2008, 03:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowlandscot

Wow. I am just blown away. What a wonderful experience this past weekend was. Thanks to any/everyone who stopped by one of my shows. I lost my faire performer virginity and everyone was gentle!

And to all my fellow entertainers, and the cast, and the dozens (or is it hundreds?) of people who have sweated and grunted and been frozen and drenched and bitten and sunburned for the past three months creating that wondrous stage and inviting me to come in: I am in awe of you all.

My favorite part of the weekend was sitting under the pub tent during the downpour on Sunday afternoon. I realize it was a colossal pain in the rear for the vendors and anyone in full rig who got caught out in it. I would have been royally peeved if it had come an hour sooner and I'd been in the middle of my 3 pm Woodland Stage set with no cover and no roadie to help me haul the harp to safety. So to anyone who got soaked: I apologize for enjoying it. But it held off until my gear was safely stowed in the prop tent, and I had a gyros and half a cider tucked away, and being trapped in the pub tent, with Moone, Strum, Maugorn, the Calicoes, Dinty....and I know I'm forgetting some people....keeping everyone entertained with an endearing off-the-cuff attitude just felt homey and like we were all one big family.

And then there was the Saucy Wench Mud Wrestling. I'm sure someone took pictures, although if my husband did I'll bean him with a frying pan.

will paisley

Quote from: lowlandscot on May 19, 2008, 03:07:19 PM
And then there was the Saucy Wench Mud Wrestling. I'm sure someone took pictures, although if my husband did I'll bean him with a frying pan.

Last year's match should still be out there on Youtube somewhere, and I know that this year's match will be going up soon. 

Personally, I hope your husband got some pictures of the event in his own unique and tasteful style; a head and shoulders portrait of a delicate young lady, looking off into space, a wistful expression on her face, and in this case, covered with mud.  ;D
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

reese

Glad  you had a great experience!  I didn't get out much, for a change, and I'm sorry I missed your show.  We heard the cheers coming from the Pub tent in the Nobel's glade and figured you all were well taken care of and happy.  I'm just amazed how many stuck it out in the bad weather Sunday and many kudos for those that did. 

Reese

Lady_Glorianna

It was great to make it out on Saturday. Between all the hello's, catching up and Sir Dragon not feeling well, we kept it low key. None the less, it was a great seeing everyone and lots of fun. Hopefully we will make it down at least once more.
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

Dirtfarmer

Saturday may have been the nicest Virginia faire day in, I don't know, forever.  The weather could not have been better, in fact I can't remember it being better.  Sunday was a hair wet, but I'm not going to complain, it could have been much worse. 

Master James

Quote from: Lady_Glorianna on May 19, 2008, 09:03:59 PM
It was great to make it out on Saturday. Between all the hello's, catching up and Sir Dragon not feeling well, we kept it low key. None the less, it was a great seeing everyone and lots of fun. Hopefully we will make it down at least once more.

It was FANTASTIC seeing both of you there!  I hope we did a little to lift your spirits that day.  Hope you can make it back down one more time too but if not I will see you both opening weekend at MDRF fear not.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

aidenoffairfax

Opening weekend was a blast! I am sunburnt from Saturday, soggy from Sunday, but ready to do it all over again this coming weekend! Whoo! The crowd was amazing, vendors were great at helping me lighten my wallet, and the cast was spectacular. All our hard work and it's now open! Huzzah! I can't wait for this coming weekend. You now have a cast member for life! Is it Saturday yet?
Please go ahead and clear your throats... the hack has arrived!

Master James

Quote from: aidenoffairfax on May 21, 2008, 09:36:30 AM
Opening weekend was a blast! I am sunburnt from Saturday, soggy from Sunday, but ready to do it all over again this coming weekend! Whoo! The crowd was amazing, vendors were great at helping me lighten my wallet, and the cast was spectacular. All our hard work and it's now open! Huzzah! I can't wait for this coming weekend. You now have a cast member for life! Is it Saturday yet?

Yeah ain't it an amazing high?  I just want to do it over and over and over and over .......
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

reese

Cripes guys, I'm still recuperating; although I am looking forward to another weekend at faire. 

Reese

Master James

Well you should join us on cast then Reese and you can experience that amazing high too!  Now we just need to get you into garb which I think Dirt has $1 riding on you at 4:1 that you won't.  Oh well he always was a big spender!  LOL   ;D
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

reese

OH, come ON DirtFarmer...spend more, you know you'll win, despite all efforts otherwise.

Master James, I think I'm still getting over from being sick and a few other stupid moves on my part, 'tis why I"m still recovering today. 

Reese

troubadude

Wednesday, and I'm still recovering - I was only able to be there Saturday! 

On my way home I remembered the how much this show was like the original VARF:

• High Class Show!
  • Cast, Crew, and Members all gave 101 + %  of themselves
  • A closeness I've never felt at any other faire since, I've been to a few . . .

I haven't been able to return these past few years, I'm glad I was able to this year! 

A reminder to everyone - Cast, Crew, Members, Patrons, all:  "DRINK UNTIL YOU PEE!"  I saw more than one person suffering from dehydration - and it's not a very pretty site!

Thanks to all for your on-going support,

I'll try to stop by VARF this weekend, if the wife, doctors, and/or nurses don't catch me . . . 

Tom
if music be the food of love, play on!

lowlandscot

Tom, we would love to see you every day but take care of yourself. (I know -- you probably don't need yet another noodge in your life.)

I didn't realize how wiped I was until Tuesday -- drove home Sunday night, did all the chores and regular routine on Monday, and then on Tuesday morning after I dropped my daughter at school I came home and went back to bed! I never do that.

Good reminder about hydration -- and it's supposed to be hotter this weekend than it was last. I'm going to bring some V8 to keep in the prop tent in case anyone needs, cause sometimes I get a salt issue in addition to dehydration, and I'm sure others do too.

Lady_Glorianna

We did have fun. I had a bit of a sunburn for a couple of days from watching the one and only Will ;) and we did enjoy the Pyrates Royale. I do have to say more and more that it was the right move to move the location from the "frying pan" side od the winery to it's current site. The woods give a good relief and contribute a lot to the feel of faire ;D
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

will paisley

Thank you very much, Lady Glorianna and Sir Dragon, for attending my first performance of the year, and for the pleasure of your company and your singing voice at one of the Pyrates' sets.  As always, it was wonderful to see you two.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally