News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Seeking leather rosette pattern/advice

Started by kilteddispatcher, September 16, 2013, 01:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilteddispatcher

Greetings Faire Folk!

My wife and I went to NorCal Faire yesterday, which although no longer in the same location was the event/site of our first date, and here we are 15 years later.  We used to get a new leather rosette favor every year to add to our costumes.  It dawned on me this trip that the vendor that sold them wasn't there, and hadn't been in a couple of years.  Not that I mind the buffalo bone pins with snarky sayings on them, but I do miss the yearly rosette, and according to my wife they were the only way to get me to incorporate a little bright color into an otherwise dull earth-tone costume.  I have searched online unsuccessfully to find a pattern to recreate them.  Can't figure out how to post a pic here, so I will try to describe them.  Triangular flower/rose about 3/4 inch to a side, 3 layers of petals deep, appear to be made of a single folded piece of very thin leather.  No leaves, and a few strands of leather 'ribbon' in complementary colors hanging down.  Would love to start making these out of leather scraps if I can find the method - my job incorporates some down time where such activities are allowed.  Thanks in advance for any advice you fine folk can provide!

Added a photo- best I could manage with only the ipad handy.  Thanks!

Rowan MacD

Pictures?
As a last resort, you could try taking one of yours apart and copying it.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

kilteddispatcher

Better photo.  Sorta.  Does not appear to have any seams or sign of sewing.  I'm not very crafty so my fear is if I disassemble I won't get it back together - if I can get a pattern or instructions I can keep trying with sacrificial fabric/leather until i get it right... Thanks!

Rowan MacD

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

kilteddispatcher

Bumping back up... still no luck using any of the patterns I have found out there in internet-land... can't seem to replicate these...

anne of oaktower

That looks quite similar to a folded ribbon rose. If you search for videos on making ribbon roses, you may find one that works for you. Good luck!
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."