News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Autoharp Performers

Started by bellevivre, June 22, 2009, 10:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

i am thinking of taking up the autoharp. i have, for a long time, wanted to perform at faire, but I have never heard of someone who is JUST a vocalist!

What is your opinion of the autoharp in the Faire setting?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

Seeing how the autoharp was invented in the 1950's ( I think) , by Otto Schmidtt,  it might be kinda inconsistent. 
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

bellevivre

which is exactly my concern- i have known people who DO use the autoharp at faire, and I am hoping to branch from it to dulcimer, etc...

I have been unsuccesful with guitar and piano, so I am hoping this will help me then branch back out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

dbaldock

Joyce Lillquist, of the Gypsy Guerrilla Band, plays the Autoharp to accompany Jim while he plays the Hammered Dulcimer.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

How about Hurdy Gurdy?  Thats another keyed instrument, similar to autoharp.  Me, personally, I never get too impressed with autoharp players - in my family, we gave the auto harp to friends/family wanting to sit in on the family jam sessions, who couldn't really play any instrument.

And hurdy gurdy is a period instrument! That unique-ness alone may be a plus
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

Prof. John Bull

The problem with autoharp for performance is not that it is an anachronism (since the guitar is too and we see those all the time), but rather that it is a) heavy, and b) not very loud.  They are also a little fiddly to keep in tune outdoors since they have so many strings.

Autoharps were popular for a while as an easy to learn instrument that is a workable alternative to the guitar.  They still fill that role.  For accompanying yourself or a few friends, it's a great place to start out.

Ultimately there are no easy instruments and learning a new one requires a commitment that spans several years.

Deckard And Zhora

I would say, it's not the best fit not being HA, but if it's what you can do to get yourself performing--go for it! If the only thing keeping you from singing is not having accompaniment, I don't think it matters what instrument you are playing. As long as your songs fit the time and you sound great...I think that's all that matters.

:D