News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Is it worth it?

Started by Lady Rebecca, June 22, 2009, 12:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rebecca

I just found out today that I will have July 4th off. Is it worth it to drive the 2.5 hrs up to Sterling, and pay the $25 admission? This is by far the highest ticket price I've seen anywhere, and it's making me wonder if it's really worth it...

lys1022

Yes, without reservations I say yes!

Scarby is my home faire now, but Sterling is where I started my faire addiction.  The site is beautiful, the cast is entertaining, the acts are fun, and the faire itself is pretty large for a non-Texas faire.

And really, the price isn't that high.  Scarby's tickets were $22 this year, and TRF is charging $23.
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Tazworth

I may be a bit bias as this is my home Faire. But I have been to NYRF, PARF, CTRF, King Richards, FLARF, BARF and numerous smaller Faires. I have to say that Sterling still remains the top of my favorite list. With it's interactive, improvisational street theatre like I have never seen anywhere else; it's cast of veteran performers following a specific Faire scenario; it's wide array of independant performers and musicians; and it's huge family of fun loving rennies/playtrons; and a new owner who takes to heart everyones suggestions and comments, I would say you will not be disappointed.

Is it worth the trip? Up until last year we made the 2+ hour trip every weekend for over 10 years usually with 5 of our kids camping in a tent without a single regret. It is different now because we made the choice to move closer to Faire last year and we only have one kid left at home. You may catch our son, Duke, playing his bodhran around the shire.

Is it worth the money? Can you spend $25 anywhere else that weekend and hear live music every hour from some of the top names in the business? Laugh with some of the most talented performers in the trade?  Meet up with old friends and get acquainted with new friends all while wearing your favorite garb? Yes Sterling is well worth the $25 entrance fee. In fact, I am sure you will be so well pleased with your day that you will quickly make plans to come back for the 2010 season when you will be sure to take advantage of the eary bird discount ticket prices.

I personally have never been anywhere else that made feel at home the second I walked through the gate.
Brett aka Tazworth
Founder of Family of Faire

Aaroncois

I can't think of anything specific to add that Tazworth didn't already mention, but I'll join the choir of "most definitely yes!"

irish

Yes, yes, yessss, and YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!  ;D
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

SterlingFan

Tazworth took the words right out of my mouth !  My drive is two hours one way and I'l make that trek several times this season.   I agree & give a wholehearty YES it's worth it !
Home Faire: Sterling Renaissance Festival

"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here !"

DacianFalx

Quote from: Tazworth on June 22, 2009, 01:39:23 PM
I may be a bit bias as this is my home Faire. But I have been to NYRF, PARF, CTRF, King Richards, FLARF, BARF and numerous smaller Faires. I have to say that Sterling still remains the top of my favorite list. With it's interactive, improvisational street theatre like I have never seen anywhere else; it's cast of veteran performers following a specific Faire scenario; it's wide array of independant performers and musicians; and it's huge family of fun loving rennies/playtrons; and a new owner who takes to heart everyones suggestions and comments, I would say you will not be disappointed.

Is it worth the trip? Up until last year we made the 2+ hour trip every weekend for over 10 years usually with 5 of our kids camping in a tent without a single regret. It is different now because we made the choice to move closer to Faire last year and we only have one kid left at home. You may catch our son, Duke, playing his bodhran around the shire.

Is it worth the money? Can you spend $25 anywhere else that weekend and hear live music every hour from some of the top names in the business? Laugh with some of the most talented performers in the trade?  Meet up with old friends and get acquainted with new friends all while wearing your favorite garb? Yes Sterling is well worth the $25 entrance fee. In fact, I am sure you will be so well pleased with your day that you will quickly make plans to come back for the 2010 season when you will be sure to take advantage of the eary bird discount ticket prices.

I personally have never been anywhere else that made feel at home the second I walked through the gate.

He's right on the money, as always...should take up copy writing for the festival website, this one.  ;)

For myself, as a life-long Sterling lover and as a cast-member I invite you to come to the best renaissance faire there is...:-)
Have a safe drive!
Those who say a certain something cannot be done, shouldn't interrupt those doing it.

Lady Amy of York

Yes, it is well worth it. I make a  2  and   half ( one  way )   drive  just about every weekend    during the  faire  season.   The  grounds  are beautiful,  the  people  are  friendly.  It is a fun ,enjoyable  afternoon.   

also note  for  the  July  4'th weekend  children under 12 get in free,  so if you  have  any  young ones  with you to get in free !!

Also if  you order your  tickets online  instead of    buying  at  the gate,  you save  a buck or  two.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Lady Rebecca

You guys have convinced me! I'm pretty sure I'll be coming. Unfortunately, it seems like the 4th is the only day I can definitely come (and I don't have any children). But if I can convince any of my coworkers to come with me, I'll definitely be there!

And Lady Amy, which 2.5 hr direction are you driving from, just out of curiosity?

Lady Amy of York

Quote from: Lady Rebecca on June 22, 2009, 08:26:41 PM
You guys have convinced me! I'm pretty sure I'll be coming. Unfortunately, it seems like the 4th is the only day I can definitely come (and I don't have any children). But if I can convince any of my coworkers to come with me, I'll definitely be there!

And Lady Amy, which 2.5 hr direction are you driving from, just out of curiosity?

From  the  Watertown area.   I take  the  81 south  and  get off at  the  exit  for  Mexico (  Mexico, New  York that is  )  and  then i  go thru Mexico and   Oswego  on route  104  . If i mapquest it it says   1 hr  and  30  minutes, but it is  more like  2 hours  to  2 hrs  and  15 minutes   if  you add in a pit  stop ,  cause it is on some  back  country  roads.
    Plus  i have learned that  you  don't  want  to drive  thru  Oswego  when  they are having  their  Harborfest.  I got delayed   one  year   going  to faire  for  over  a hour   due  to traffic  from Harborfest.
    When is  Harborfest  this year,  does  anyone  know ?

irish

irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~

irish

We travel about a hour or so to come to faire. I have seen the prices go from $50.00 for a season pass, to what it is now. (Gawd...I sound old.l......ol!)
We only go a few times during a season now.
Hope to meet up with you all.....soon!!!!
irish  ;D
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~

Lady Amy of York

Quote from: irish on June 22, 2009, 10:02:01 PM
July 23– July 26, 2009.

http://www.oswegony.org/ABOUT_attractions.html 

The  same  weekend  as pirate  theme  weekend  at faire  this year.   Looks like it will be  a crowded  weekend  at  faire  , maybe.   Shall have  to remeber   to leave home  early  to beat  the traffic.