News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Missed VARF on Father’s Day

Started by Dallan, June 23, 2009, 10:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dallan

I know that scheduling is what it is but I really missed my Father's Day at VARF this year. We started a tradition 4 years ago. We would leave the Baltimore area early Friday and drive to Kings Dominion, spend the day at the park and then head to Fredericksburg. We would spend the weekend at VARF which had been, in the last few years, closing weekend; then head home on Monday. I had a great day Sunday but it didn't match a family weekend at VARF. Hopefully the schedule will work out for me next year.
Fight'n

Master James

Well the real reason we didn't close on Father's Day this year is because it was very late this year.  Father's Day has normally been the second weekend in June and for some reason this year it was the third weekend instead.  Hence why we weren't open.  We didn't open early, we opened the same weekend we have the last few years.  5 weeks is our full run so hopefully Father's Day will be back to the proper weekend next year and you can have your great day!
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Benedict Browne

I just looked at the 2010 Calendar.  Fathers Day is always the Third Sunday of June.  So next year will be a repeat of this year with it falling on the weekend after VaRF closes, if VaRF opens on May 15th, 2010, which is the weekend after Mothers Day and only goes for five weekends again.  In the past, they have always kept Mothers Day sacred and not opened on that weekend.  2011 looks very simialr too!

Maybe VaRF will just have to add a sixth weekend for a couple of years in order to give all the Daddys a good Ole' fashioned Renaissance day they long for!  Now I'm sure that last statement will get me in a lot of trouble with GG for even thinking of extending, but what the heck - it's what I do -- always getting in a lot of trouble!  :D
Scott McD.

(Master Benedict Browne - Sgt. Trumpeter)

~pixie~

I remember working many a Mother's Day at the old VARF, and enjoying every minute of it!  I'd bring my daughter on the Saturday before for a "play" day so I got the best of both worlds.
~ Pixie ~
the wicked wench
Rose Seller VARF
IWG #785 Local 42 MDRF
aka: Gold'n Penny
Irish Penny Brigade - Clan White

Dallan

Interesting. This year and the last several father's Day has always fallen on the third Sunday in June. My guess is that it always does. So it's probably more a function of how May falls as to when VARF opens. I can't believe we've been coming to VARF for 4 years now. Once again thanks to everyone involved.

As far as adding another weekend, GREAT IDEA!. After all the cast had it pretty easy this year with Memorial Day off. ;) (As he ducks and runs for cover.)
Fight'n

will paisley

Quote from: Dallan on June 23, 2009, 01:15:04 PM
Interesting. This year and the last several father's Day has always fallen on the third Sunday in June. My guess is that it always does. So it's probably more a function of how May falls as to when VARF opens. I can't believe we've been coming to VARF for 4 years now. Once again thanks to everyone involved.

As far as adding another weekend, GREAT IDEA!. After all the cast had it pretty easy this year with Memorial Day off. ;) (As he ducks and runs for cover.)

We start the weekend before Memorial Day.  This year Memorial Day was almost a week earier in the month than last year, because the last day of the month was a Sunday. Your loss, however, was my gain - for once I didn't spend Fathers Day working all day in the sun, only to finish it off by having to pack up a bunch of tents and drive home to Washington DC on a Sunday night in holiday traffic.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

Mistress Cherry

*psst!* Father's Day is where it is because it falls near Litha. :D All the major holidays fall around a pagan holiday. I always thought it was funny that we celebrate Fathers on the day every year that is the height of Summer. After Litha the Goddess' power begins to wane and the God takes over for the cold months.

Rather poetical.

Captain Dungcaster

Interesting info Mistress Cherry. Yes you are right, all the "modern" holidays are on or near Pagan holy days.

Frank
"Fantasy Football, Dungeons & Dragons for Jocks"
I.B.R.S.C #1068.

Dallan

BTW - in 2010 if Varf opens the weekend before Memorial weekend and runs for 5 weeks it will close on Father's Day.  ;D Sorry Will!
Fight'n

GoldenGoose

I wish I could be cool and reveal the arcane formula that determines the Virginia Faire schedule...but, it's no more elaborate than starting around the 15th of May and ending around the 15th of June, so that we can say we run mid-May to mid-June.  The schedule is designed to minimize the torrential rains and the torrential heat that is Virginia in the springtime. Sometimes we win, sometimes we fail. Official dates will be published soon.

And as much as I would like to make the Dads happy...we're not adding an extra weekend for 2010. Although by 2013, the calendar will rotate enough to bring Father's Day back to closing weekend....

Dallan

That's a very complicate formula to determin the schedule.  ;D Thanks for the info.
Fight'n