News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Right of Use: Songs, Tunes, etc

Started by bellevivre, June 23, 2009, 11:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

I am at the very beginning stages of thinking of performing at my local faire. What are the rules to follow when it comes to traditional, and traditional style music? Obviously, it would be disrespectful to sing the same version of a song when you know another performer does the same at the same faire- but so many pieces are traditional? What guidelines should I follow as i work up a repertoire?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Terry Griffith

Specialization is the key.  Since you are just starting out, that gives you the opportunity to choose a type of music that you will be known for.  Something no one else does so that faire goers associate you with that genre.  Also, if you should get a stage where you can do several shows a day, have enough music to change it up every set.  Returning audiences notice things like that.  "That's the same songs they did 2 hours ago so there is no need to see them again".  Make them wonder what you will do for the next set and they will come back to see.

Some acts that do things other than music can stretch out 3 tricks to half an hour with banter in between.  Musicians can't do that.  Fill your time with what you are supposed to do. Music. 

Although it has been said on this very thread that "musicians are a dime a dozen" the good ones that are entertainng are not.  Be one of those and you will be a success.  Easier said than done but you need to be aware of the audience reaction.  Throw out the songs that lose people (they talk, they look around or worse, they leave) and learn more of the kind of songs that get a good reaction.  All of this may sound like it would take years to master.  It does.  Go slow and improve your set every day.  Busking in the lanes may not be a profitable as a stage act but it's an excellent way to find out what works and what does not.

All the best to you.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Terry Griffith

I just noticed that we will be playing the same faire, GLMF which I had no idea when I answered your post.  Please feel free to do anything I already do.  I am a single act and I don't think anyone will mind if your group repeats a song they heard me do.  I'm only there for opening weekend, much to my dissapointment, but I will make a point of catching your set if we are not scheduled at the same time.

See you in 2 weeks.

bellevivre

oh no! I'm sorry- I was simply promoting one of my favourite misicians- i am NO WHERE NEAR as talented as Jenny O'Connor (lol nor as pretty!!)  ;)
Belle the Kat

Terry Griffith

My mistake.  In a world where people use several different names, it's difficult to be sure who is whom.  I'll check out Jenny's set then.

All the best to you regardless.

Celtic_Fae

This is Jenny's new band page, used to be Elysium and part of E Muzeki: www.circapaleo.com

L Dale Walter

Quote from: Terry Griffith on June 23, 2009, 01:00:32 PM
have enough music to change it up every set.  Returning audiences notice things like that.  "That's the same songs they did 2 hours ago so there is no need to see them again".

Sort of.  As someone who hires and consults on the hiring of ren fest acts, I would rather see ONE really good solid set, rather than four that are weaker.  Most of your PATRONS (not rennies) will see you once.  Also, if your set is tight and hot, the rennies won't complain about it being the same.  Take Kiss, for example (not a ren fest act, but simular principle).  Same set every night, but it is what the fans WANT to hear.

Quote from: Terry Griffith on June 23, 2009, 01:00:32 PM
Although it has been said on this very thread that "musicians are a dime a dozen" the good ones that are entertainng are not. 

Very true.  I have a theory that once you are competent as a musician, getting better as a PLAYER will not help you financially.  It comes down to what you can sell.  Have a press kit that shows your DRAW, not how amazing you are as a player.  I use to own a nightclub, and I always said I would hire a guy beating a log with a stick if it drew a crowd.  If you can show that you draw a crowd (and not the same 25 fans every show) I take a serious look.  If they just tout how good a player they are, well, I know lots of amazing musicians who never play anywhere.

Remember, it is show BUSINESS

LDW

will paisley

Quote from: bellevivre on June 23, 2009, 11:07:25 AM
I am at the very beginning stages of thinking of performing at my local faire. What are the rules to follow when it comes to traditional, and traditional style music? Obviously, it would be disrespectful to sing the same version of a song when you know another performer does the same at the same faire- but so many pieces are traditional? What guidelines should I follow as i work up a repertoire?

Even with so few posts in the thread so far, there's a lot of good info here, and I could comment on it for hours (and I'll probably come back to it if I get the chance).  WRT your original query, however, be careful of stealing/borrowing/reusing another group's *arrangement* of a song. Sure, any number of ren groups sing a lot of the same ren "standards", but they (usually) all do them differently.  Copying someone else's arrangement can be an easy trap to fall into, as performers often learn how a song goes by listening to another group's performance of it.  Also, it occasionally turns out that the "traditional" song you're learning from some performer's recording includes a verse or two of original lyrics by that performer.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

bellevivre

Yep- recently learned that Via The Shantyman's Minstrel Boy and then hearing the same song, ORIGINAL melody (much to my surprise) on an episode of Star Trek TNG of all places!
Belle the Kat

Aaroncois

Quote from: bellevivre on July 08, 2009, 10:04:15 AM
Yep- recently learned that Via The Shantyman's Minstrel Boy and then hearing the same song, ORIGINAL melody (much to my surprise) on an episode of Star Trek TNG of all places!
;D
When I first started attending Faire, that was literally the only period song I knew (though I'm sure I must have heard "Drunken Sailor" at some point, too). Thank you Cmdr Riker and crazy Cardassian-hating Captain-dude!

VIII

Quote from: Aaroncois on July 08, 2009, 10:21:41 AM
Quote from: bellevivre on July 08, 2009, 10:04:15 AM
;D
When I first started attending Faire, that was literally the only period song I knew (though I'm sure I must have heard "Drunken Sailor" at some point, too). Thank you Cmdr Riker and crazy Cardassian-hating Captain-dude!
It wasn't Riker, it was Chief O'Brien.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Aaroncois

Quote from: VIII on July 10, 2009, 01:06:31 PM
Quote from: Aaroncois on July 08, 2009, 10:21:41 AM
It wasn't Riker, it was Chief O'Brien.

D'oh, you're correct! It's been a really long time since I've seen that episode, I guess.

shadowcat546

If I may add:  Myself, I love it when groups (or solo acts) like Gibbon the Troubadour, Bocca Musica, or E Muzeki (back in the day) would do the music I know, in a set pattern, for the whole 7 wks.  If I know Bocca does "naughty" at 5p or 6 pm, then I decide to see stuff other stuff all day and come back for that...or...if someones singing my favorite ballad at 2, and only 2pm, then I'll see that at 2 and go see rest of faire after.

If I never knew _what time of day my "fave" songs were being sung, I wouldn't want to keep catching their act all day just to hear it. 

ok, I'm going to stop now.  I think I need a drink, cause I don't think I'm making sense
Shannon, ..The Colonial Peddler --see Webshots shadowcat546 (so.-east Mich.) Goods for Sale

Dracconia

I am actually in the same boat as you are. I am in the beginnings of performing. I have an audition at my local faire when I get it all together...it is more of a standing invitation to audition when I am ready....and I am nervous, I am not sure what I should pick as far as song choice. I know the genre (Celtic Folk) but I am not sure how to pick the songs...

My other issue is that I need help in pronunciation on some of the Gaelic in some of the songs I am leaning to ex. Siuil A Run
PR ~Faire Daughter~
Shake-N-Bake

bunnie

Hey all;

This is an area which I know A LOT about..... feel free to email me off board with any questions you may have, below I've given you some pointers.

1. RESEARCH YOUR MUSIC. Nearly 90% of music that you hear at Renaissance Festivals is NOT PERIOD. Why? Because Renaissance Music is like a Shakespearean joke written by a drunk Trekkie arguing in Klingon to a Storm Trooper who only knows one dialect of it. Make sense? Nope. Neither does a LOT of authentic Renaissance music to the 'average' Faire goer. And I don't mean people on here. If you're here, then duh. You're already fluent in Klingon. :)   (um, isn't EVERYONE???? K'plah! SP)

SO. Do your research. You like "The Scotsman"? Great. So do a LOT of performers & patrons. But look it up. Google it. Who wrote it? When? You may be surprised to find out it was written in 1979.
Any song you like that you think you will want to perform - Google it. Find out who wrote it when. Different versions. Find out who else sings it and then make it your own.

NOTE:
There ARE a ton of great period songs - a lot of them - and some are very funny. However; you have to bring your music to the masses and make it commerically viable. Like Dale says; it's show BUSINESS.  So you pick an actual song from 1573 - change the lyrics to modern-ish, mess with the harmonies, make them a little slicker, and boom.
Suddenly YOU have a signature song that YOU adapted that YOU can say... "I wrote that. ... sort of."

2. AVOID COPYING AT ALL COSTS - Seriously here. If you are good enough to do your own show, you're good enough to have your own material. So find out what's out there and watch as many shows are you can. And then, do your absolute best to NOT copy any lines/arrangements/bits etc etc. Even if 'everyone else says... but this is how we make our living...." I don't care. How many times to patrons hear that? Make it original. Make it yours.

3. Decide are you a MUSIC ACT or a STAGE ACT. Are you a straight Singer with Guitar? Or are you Vaudeville Ta-Da Bits and a Song? Figure this out; it will help you quickly find your own style and hit your stride faster.

4. Learn 10 songs. And NAIL THEM> do them well, do them perfectly. Know your stuff. That way, you have two solid 17 min sets - with time to gather crowds and hat pass added in. You can mix and match sets according to your audience. And you will build your core audience. You will. I promise.

and finally

5. NEVER, EVER, have an ATTITUDE. Be nice to everyone. You never know who you're gonna be working for next!

Like I said. You need more info; email me.  bunnie@limeybirds.com

And please; no one flame me about the Klingon comments. I really, really like Klingons. And Trekkies, and Star Wars.
(but Klingons have the best parties)

Prof. John Bull

There's a great deal of material (both h/c traditional and more fest-oriented) from which to choose.  My advice is to look to sources beyond the fest circuit bands.  If recordings are your thing get recordings from the 1970s and 1980s in the style you're working in.  Look for stuff on the Green Linnet and Folk Legacy labels for something fresh, or groups like Steeleye Span or Fairport Convention.