News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Favorite Soap

Started by bellevivre, June 23, 2009, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

How do you get clean at faire?

We have a shower, and i was thinking of buying this Rosemary and Bergamot bath wash we used when we were in the UK... but no one over here actually sells it, and that seems silly to pay to import...

So what's your favourite smelly good for non-stinky rennie fun?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Gwen aka Punstergal

I almost exclusively use soap that I buy at TRF from Caerwydden's Creations (spelling is butchered, I'm sure). She has a soap shop at the end of one lane, facing one of the little stages, near the jousting arena.  She sells handmade organic soaps in a couple dozen different smells/textures and I always buy a bag of 10 bars, which lasts me the year. My absolute favorite is the lavender (which may have rosemary in it, it's got gritty bits and it smells awesome), closely followed by the peppermint oatmeal, which is super soothing on my over-abused skin.
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

Dinobabe

Traditional, unscented lye soap.  It is a natural bug repellent, biodegradable, reduces the itching of insect bites, helps with skin problems (psoriasis, eczema & acne), gets out stains, kills lice, gets rid of poison ivy oil (I have used it to pre-cover my legs when I know I will be walking thru it), and I think I even heard one time that it has a low SPF.
The miracle soap! :D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

RenRobin

After watching the movie Fight Club, I can not do hand made soaps.....gives me the chills.
Loki-terr (in training)

Dinobabe

Quote from: RenRobin on June 23, 2009, 05:13:41 PM
After watching the movie Fight Club, I can not do hand made soaps.....gives me the chills.

:o LMAO!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

DonaCatalina

I serious answer....... :o
Seventh Sojourn soaps
My favrorite scent is Arabian Spice. I buy about twnety bars at a time.
I have skin allergies and I can't use a lot of commercial soaps. I love these guys.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Anna Iram

I swear by peppermint soap. Dr. Bronners makes one you can buy in most any health food store, though I've purchased mint soaps at a few faires and they are just as nice. Keeps you nice and cool for hours. :)

Didn't know all that about lye soaps! I always thought of them as harsh. Who knew?

Tipsy Gypsy

I thought lye soaps were harsh too, until a coworker made a batch totally from scratch (raised the hog, butchered it, rendered the lard...) and gave me a piece. It was as ugly as, well, as homemade soap :), but it had a gentle, silky feel, a clean scent, seemed to last forever, and cut through grease and dirt like nobody's business. Love the stuff!

Cerwydden's soaps are wonderful. I like the rosemary and the rose, and milord prefers the oatmeal.
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

Molden

Our camp had a nice, hot-water camp shower. My favorite soap there is my favorite soap - period: Austin Natural Soap's Bluegrass. It's a swirly, tye-dyed blue and green bar with patchoulli, hemp, and lots, and lots of wonderful scents (girlies like it on me too!)  ;)
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

lys1022

Devonshire's Liquid Peppermint soap is my all time favorite for after a long, hot, dusty day of faire.  Of course, one has to be careful with it, as...well...some body parts just are NOT peppermint soap friendly, if you know what I mean?  But it is totally refreshing and reviving after a sweaty day.
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Give me an ice cold bucket of water and a stiff north wind!

*Scots are notorious for being brave(crazy)*
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God