News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

So I rented "The Other Boleyn Girl..."

Started by gem, June 25, 2009, 12:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Personally I didn't like either Boleyn Girl movies.

The version that is on the Six Wives was hard to atch withthe camera diary and then the fast fram of the girl standing outside in the wind and clouds movieing behind her. Just didn't like it.

And the Natalie Portman one... I cannot stand Natalie Portman as an actress. While I like Eric Bana he was in no was akin to King Henry. The costuming while pretty was more Italian meets modern. The whole story was a bit contrived as well and took many liberties from the novel which was different than even history as has been written.

I can overlook a movie for historical inaccuracies as long as they are not over the top or if it is a very compeling story. Gladiator comes to mind there.

And while I do own the Portman "Other Boleyn Girl" I got it as a gift and it is only entertaining to me to laugh at how the costumes look and how the characters are played.

The Tudors is another I cannot stand to watch. They have absolutly the wrong guy to play Henry. Steven wattingham would have been a much better choice. With John Ryhes Myers you might as well have casted Don Knots (RIP) as King Henry.

On a final note why is it Hollywood always portrays Queen Katherine as this very dark haired, dark skin woman who in reality had reddish hair and fair skin (True Spanish line and not mixed with Moor)?

Just my 2 pence worth
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

NicoleBridget

QuoteOn a final note why is it Hollywood always portrays Queen Katherine as this very dark haired, dark skin woman who in reality had reddish hair and fair skin (True Spanish line and not mixed with Moor)?

This is one of my pet peeves too, however The Six Wives of Henry VIII seems to have her correct.  I find this to be one of the best depictions of Katherine.  Even though the whole rest of the movie largely grates on my nerves for other reasons.

QuoteThe Tudors is another I cannot stand to watch. They have absolutly the wrong guy to play Henry. Steven wattingham would have been a much better choice. With John Ryhes Myers you might as well have casted Don Knots (RIP) as King Henry.

MY theory on this is that your modern day audience would never buy into the 1500's appeal of an overweight red headed man, thus they give us JRM so our modern eyes "get" it.  I don't mind looking at him  ;)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Speaking of THE DUCHESS, this is the one ensemble from the film that I want to make....

With all the lovely gowns in that film, this ensemble really stood out for me. I have several tighter fitting 18th Century Period Coat and Vest patterns that I could tweak for the coat. Fabrics would be a deep Navy Velveteen, an Ivory and Navy piping, Wool for the vest, period buttons, and real fur accents.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on June 30, 2009, 03:29:36 AM

Speaking of THE DUCHESS, this is the one ensemble from the film that I want to make....

With all the lovely gowns in that film, this ensemble really stood out for me. I have several tighter fitting 18th Century Period Coat and Vest patterns that I could tweak for the coat. Fabrics would be a deep Navy Velveteen, an Ivory and Navy piping, Wool for the vest, period buttons, and real fur accents.

You can make 2 while your at it as I LOVE that dress.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

operafantomet

Make three, make three!

I'm a size 12, and I would love it to look pretty much like the movie one. Thank you.

;D :D

callalilly

I will say it, I love the Tudors. Love the clothes. The feel of it. Love Henry's shirts that Queen Katherine made for him!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

LOL!!! I wish I can duplicate myself!

Lady D and Opera!! You best take a ticket and wait your turn in line!!!  ;)
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

LadyShadow

Quote from: callalilly on June 30, 2009, 04:50:55 PM
I will say it, I love the Tudors. Love the clothes. The feel of it. Love Henry's shirts that Queen Katherine made for him!

I must agree.  They are beautiful dresses and those shirts were very lovely.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

LadySeasan

i never saw the BBC version, but did see the Natalie Portman/Scarlet Johannsen one, and I loved the costumes, they were pretty for me :)
Clan M'Crack-Season M'Crack