News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Des Moines Renaissance Faire

Started by Celtic Lady, June 26, 2009, 06:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celtic Lady

Has anyone heard when it will be starting or for that matter any info for this year's faire?

Captain Jack Wolfe

"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Celtic Lady

Thanks, Jack. I've been checking there but was wondering if anyone has heard anything. It seems like it takes forever for websites to be updated. I'm still waiting for MiRF to update their site.

Captain Jack Wolfe

If it's anything like MNRF, you'll get the full list of entertainers two weeks after the faire has started.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Celtic Lady

sigh... Don't they realize that I have planning to do? lol

Lady Renee Buchanan

Just wanted to mention an error on the Des Moines RF site in the entertainment section.  Molly & The Tinker will not be performing at this faire over Labor Day weekend.  Per the Tinker, they will be at Bristol for the whole run, including the full 3 days of Labor Day weekend.

A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Rowan MacD

So, who's going this year?  David and I will be there probably 2 out of the 3 weekends. (we either skip the first or last).
   We're looking forward to seeing folks again, pray for good weather.

~Rowen
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Celtic Lady

Sir Morgan and I will be there for at least 1 of the weekends. We won't be able to make it for the opening as we'll be in Michigan for our wedding shower. I'm thinking that it will most likely be the second weekend... as of right now.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Celtic Lady on June 30, 2009, 06:37:04 PM
Sir Morgan and I will be there for at least 1 of the weekends. We won't be able to make it for the opening as we'll be in Michigan for our wedding shower. I'm thinking that it will most likely be the second weekend... as of right now.

Congrats! Hope you get a lot of useful goodies!  Will you be hosting a Ren wedding or get married at faire?

~Rowen
IWG wench #3139 

Lady Rosalind

We'll be there performing with Have Court, Will Travel, all three weekends!

Celtic Lady

Thanks, Rowen. We're getting married at faire. We have 5 attendants (my son as bestman, my sister as my matron-of-honor, my son's girlfriend as my maid, my brother-in-law as groomsman, and my nephew as the jr. groomsman). Including us and our attendants we will have about 40 - 42 people (as well as the many uninvited "guests" who will be attending faire... I say that in a good way). Our reception following the ceremony will be at the Feast of Fantasy that MiRF has. Since I have a large family (cousins, aunts, uncles, and extended family members) and cannot invite them all to faire we are having a separate reception the very next day. Those that wish may come in garb. Everyone is looking forward to it. Just 2 months 3 weeks and 4 day until the wedding.... but who's counting.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Lady Rosalind on July 01, 2009, 04:26:24 PM
We'll be there performing with Have Court, Will Travel, all three weekends!

Huzzah Milady!  We would never miss an opportunity to see the fine ladies of the Court!

There will be the Bonny knees contest again this year?  
*swoons at the thought of men in kilts, concentrated into a small area*

IWG wench #3139 

Hatter

I would love to attend but the dates conflict with MRF.  I also notice that it conflicts with KCRF.  Has anyone involved with this festival thought of holding it earlier in the year, such as end of May and June?  This way it wouldn't compete with the two largest fairs in thier area.  Just a thought.

Lady Rosalind

Quote from: Hatter on July 19, 2009, 03:03:55 PM
I would love to attend but the dates conflict with MRF.  I also notice that it conflicts with KCRF.  Has anyone involved with this festival thought of holding it earlier in the year, such as end of May and June?  This way it wouldn't compete with the two largest fairs in thier area.  Just a thought.

I might be able to shed a little light on the subject:

There are two faires in the Omaha area, and two in Iowa (IRF, Dubuque) during the month of May, so I think the area is pretty well saturated for faires during that time. The site for the Des Moines faire also tends to flood in the spring, which would lead to all kinds of problems, obviously (last year they had well over a foot of water in the main area of the site, the bridge was nearly washed away, etc. Not good).

The September dates work well - the site is gorgeous at that time of year, it's finally getting cooler outside (with the exception of Labor Day weekend), and September is historically a dry month in Iowa. Having it in June, July, or August would be exceptionally hot and humid, rainy, and would conflict with a multitude of huge Iowa events (RAGBRAI, Iowa Games, Special Olympics, to name just a few).

October is also out, as the site is used for Halloween events for Sleepy Hollow Sports Park. Really, September is it for us, and it is the only faire in the state during that month. Plus, it's only three weekends, and both of the faires you mentioned run multiple weekends as well.

I hope this helps clear up why DMRF is held when it is.  :)

Rowan MacD

The schedule for all three fairs would be problematic if you are working them.  So I am mighty glad to be a Playtron.  ;D
  With a mundane work schedule that leaves me with only 2 weekends off per month, as well as a budget that does not stretch to allow for gas+hotel+gate+impulse buying at either MRF or KCRF for more than 1 or two weekends max anyway, I have a few open weekends to attend DMRF too.
   Too bad July/August are just too darn HOT,  Otherwise we could have fairs all summer.
   Anybody know where I can get a bodice chiller? Preferably glass?

~Rowen MacD  
IWG wench #3139