News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Terrified Here

Started by nliedel, May 08, 2008, 11:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nliedel

I can sew. We're not talking Project Runway, but I don't suck rocks either. I'm terrified of messing up my bodices. I want them as finished on the inside as the outside. I'm not known for that. This year I have to wear these dresses every weekend for two months. I have a paper pattern drafted, Italian late, I'm bringing them to a slight point in the front, but not too too. I am thinking bodice fabric, (cotton jacquard), iron on interfacing, heavy cotton (not duck), boning, lining fabric. I am only going to lightly bone this because I invested in a corset. The corset does not come to a point, so I think three bones in front. One over the point, one pointing up to the right and left and boning where the lacing rings attach.

Any thoughts? I am making a muslin mock-up of the bodice. I made petticoats stiffened with some hemp, instead of lining for the skirts.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

mellingera

First,nliedel, don't be skert! ;)
It if was me, I would not use the iron on interfacing, too hot, doesn't breath. Use 2 layers of heavy/stiffer material on the inside to hold the boning and sandwich it between the fashion fabric and your lining fabric, then your boning channels won't show on the inside or the outside. You should be fine with the minimal boning, you would be suprised how much just having the extra heavy layers inside stiffin the bodice so it lays real nice, especially over a corset.
This is just my 2 cents, anyway.
Good luck!!!

gypsylakat

Yeah I just made/redid a bodice, (I kind of made it but only kind of, I took an old one and used it as a pattern and used the old bodice as one of the layers... does that count as making it?) and I put twill on the inside and that made it so stiff my friend was like omg, that and just a little bit of the plastic boning stuff at hancock was plenty for her (she's an itty itty bitty thing, we've been trying diligently to get her to eat)
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

gem

Yup--with the heavy cotton (I like two layers of canvas) you won't need the interfacing.  In addition to the faults Mellingara mentions, it can tend to shift and bunch over time.

That said, I've used a fair bit of it over the years, and it's been just fine... but if you're past "I don't suck rocks," with your garb, you're probably ready to leave iron-on interfacing behind.

Be brave!  Wonderful things happen when you're brave.  Promise.  :)

nliedel

Okay, so I baste the bodice fabric and the lining fabric to one another, then out them together, or baste the lining fabric together, make my channels, then sew it all inside out, leaving the bottom open, turn it, bone it, and then hand stitch the turned fabric together? I was always going to put a braid at the bottom. I'm also running a marathon this fall, so my size will change and I am doing my skirt seperate from my bodices because sizes will change. I hope they change. Please let them change.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

gem

I sew the 2 layers of canvas interlining/flatlining together, sew the boning channels, and then baste that layer to the lining fabric.

The Baroness shows the method here on her website: http://www.karen.htmlcreators.com/renbodice.html

You end up with the interlining and the lining acting as one piece of fabric.  Note that there aren't really seam allowances on the interlining.

Then I sew the lining to the fashion fabric as normal, then turn and finish (add bones, sew straps, etc).  I'll handsew a gown bodice closed, but Fair bodices I'll just topstitch closed by machine.

mellingera

gypsylakat

Oh... sometimes i wish i could understand all the sewing talk.... I can do this.... Take stuff.. cut it... sew it together, praying to whoever the gods of sewing happen to be for that day and hope it turns out right.... :( I need to go buy a sewing book...

mellingera

Gypsylakat, it can not be as difficult as all that! I just started sewing last spring. I started with a skirt, then a smock from the Elizabethan costume page... Now I am so totally addicted I can't stop!!! Start with something easy from an inexpensive fabric and you're off!  8)

Like gem said- Be brave!

~And if something goes does go wrong, reach to the side, grab the trusty seam ripper, rip it out, and start over again... No harm, no foul!

Lady L

Yes,
I did mine the way gem said.
:)
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Kate XXXXXX

Quote from: gypsylakat on May 08, 2008, 08:41:00 PM
Oh... sometimes i wish i could understand all the sewing talk.... I can do this.... Take stuff.. cut it... sew it together, praying to whoever the gods of sewing happen to be for that day and hope it turns out right.... :( I need to go buy a sewing book...

There's a simple glossary of sewing terms here on my web site that might help with some of this vocab stuff: http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk/KatePages/Learning/Useful-sewing-terms.htm

There are plenty of good sewing books about.  Two I like are

New Complete Guide to Sewing: Step by Step Techniques for Making Clothes and Home Accessories (Readers Digest)    

Sewing for Dummies (For Dummies) by Janice Saunders Maresh (Paperback - 13 Aug 2004)

I also hear good things of this one, but don't have it:

Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing by Lotta Jansdotter (Spiral-bound - 1 April 2007)

Happy shopping!  All available on Amazon (NAYY - just a constant customer!).

LadyOren

Take a breathe, take your time and all of it will come out beautifully.  Sewing is not only challenging but it's fun. Enjoy your projects.
When I'm gone look for me beneath your boots, for I have returned to the ground from which I came.   Walt Whitman

uhurainmi

Nliedel,

I feel your pain. After many hours of reading construction techniques and dress diaries online, I think I can make a decent gown. However, it's really hard to get started again, after sitting it down for a few days for things like work, sleep,
When I pick it up again, it takes me hours to remember what was going on. I have made notes and started my own diary, but it isn't helpful. Once I get back in the zone, tho', I can sew with a purpose. Whew!
this isn't advice or anything, I just wanted to express my own view given the 'terrified here' subject.

Cindy
Fortunately, ah keep mah feathers numbered...for just such an emergency.

Lady Grape

I can understand the terror in trying to read the words on a page either of a pattern or the written instructions on here.  I know what I am doing when I am sewing, but when I start reading the words that go along with it.  I always end up feeling lost and puzzled until I see a picture or ask my mom "what do they mean by this?".   Sometimes I can just figure it out by pinning what I think they are talking about and going from there. 

Sometimes no matter how simple the wording is I still end up with a "huh?" until I see a picture. 
Be the change you want to see.

gypsylakat