News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

First Timer - Need Advice

Started by Aelynn of Georgina, June 29, 2009, 06:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Margaret

Oh - I have wanted to make a gown like that ever since I saw one like it on this website: http://www.fashionsintime.com/html/cotehardie.html

(the picture on the left in the wonderful scarlet linen and the orange under gown.  *drool*)

Can't wait to see you finished product and hear about your trip to the faire.  Enjoy yourself, wear comfy shoes and have a great time!!
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Aelynn of Georgina

Quote from: Anna Iram on June 30, 2009, 01:22:37 PM

...I'm posting this link to give you an idea of how you might trim it. You might also want to make a belt using the trim as a simple solution or if you are really feeling adventursome you could fashion a belt from beadwork and chain.

http://www.pearsonsrenaissanceshoppe.com/FairLadyDress.html

Where do I get trim like this??  There is only one store in my area that sells fabric and notions, but they only have very simple trim, which is nice, but I would like something more elaborate, like this, for my next dress.  Even our local Walmart yanked it's sewing dept. :( >:(

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I am pretty excited now!

Margaret

Look in the Sewing section of this forum.  Right at the top of the topics list is a thread called Trim Site Round Up. 

Oodles of places to buy trim from.  Oodles I say.   :D
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

LadyShadow

Quote from: Aelynn on July 01, 2009, 12:42:25 PM
Even our local Walmart yanked it's sewing dept. :( >:(

I'm not the only one who Wal- Mart has pulled that on.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

bellevivre

as i understand it, they are phasing them all out... (walmart, that is)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Genievea Brookstone

You might also want to check and see if you have any discount decorating stores.  I have found many trims and decorator fabrics for $1 a yard and even have gone to good will and recycled old fancy dresses that had some trims on them.  Yard sales are another place to find hidden treasures!

And yep Wal-Mart is phasing out all sewing depts.
Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

Aelynn of Georgina

Well, I donned my gown and allowed my daughter to snap some pics.  I am going to make a simple headroll and veil to match, and see if I can't find some more trim to make a simple belt (I don't have quite enough left), but I also have a chain belt that has large gold medallions on it so I just might wear both.  ;)

*smiles*

Genievea Brookstone

And do you feel magical and comfortable in it? ;D
Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

LadyShadow

Very nice job.

I hate the fact that Wal-Mart is doing that.  Where else am I supposed to go at midnight in a mad rush for some sewing items ???
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Higgins

First of all I must say you look DIVINE !! Particularly the pic from the back. You look like an angel with wings outspread. I agree with others here. There are a wide range of outfits to be seen at faire and you have nothing to be embarrassed about. The gown is elegant in its line and simplicity, a nice contrast to the complicated and formal court garb. Well done! I hope that your first visit is like mine. When I entered the faire for the first time I felt like I had come home. You will find the vast majority of faire folk are warm, caring and accepting people who like to enjoy times with friends new and old. As to the rare ( and I do mean rare ) snarky comment; 1. Most people are not bold enough to say anything to the subject of a snark , and 2. Those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind. My best advise for you is: Don't be shy! Be willing to approach and interact with people. Don't worry about an accent, just go up to someone in garb and introduce yourself. You can find people wearing an R/F pin (worn by people on this website) usually with great success by the pubs! Most likely if you tell them its your first visit they will share their favorite shows, food vendor, clean privy spot etc.. with you. Don't forget to hydrate!

Can I ask where you are planning to visit?

bellevivre

dress is FABULOUS! I would go with the gold chain belt only, but that's just me!

cant wait to see pics at faire
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Celtic Lady

Very nice dress. It's beautiful.

Aelynn of Georgina

Thanks for all the lovely comments!  And I truly appreciate the helpful advice and encouragement.  I have fabric to make another dress too (in light bluish grey)... just looking for a contrasting colour to go with it.  It's a much lighter weight fabric than the red.

I am attending the Rennaissance Festival at Casa Loma, in Toronto, Ontario this coming weekend (http://www.casaloma.org/Seasonal/).  I have wanted to go for years, but have either had other plans or chickened out.  I don't know how big an event it is, but it's the only one that is close to me, so I thought I would try it first before I make travel plans to attend others.

*smiles*

Anna Iram

I agree the chain belt alone would look nice with this. Wear it slightly lower than your natural waist.

As for trim, the price can really add up, as I'm sure you know. You might try JoAnns. If you don't have a JoAnn's Fabrics near you try their online store. Get on their mailing list and they'll send out periodic 40% off coupons good for any single cut of fabric or trim.

:) Your gown came out beautifully. I hope your first day at faire is a magical one and full of fond memories.

Margaret

Aelyn, you did a bang up job on that gown!

Hope you have a great time at faire!
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)