News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

First Timer - Need Advice

Started by Aelynn of Georgina, June 29, 2009, 06:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate XXXXXX

Ah, that came out well!  And it's a lovely colour, too.

I think I'd want one made of the lightest cotton batiste or handkerchief linen for England at the moment: we are COOKING!

DragonWing

Wonderful job on the gown. You look great. And I too agree on just the chain. Have fun.  ;)
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

GirlChris

Quote from: Aelynn on July 01, 2009, 05:35:34 PM
I am attending the Rennaissance Festival at Casa Loma, in Toronto, Ontario this coming weekend (http://www.casaloma.org/Seasonal/).  I have wanted to go for years, but have either had other plans or chickened out.  I don't know how big an event it is, but it's the only one that is close to me, so I thought I would try it first before I make travel plans to attend others.

*smiles*

Casa Loma is a bit of an odd event- the place is still Casa Loma (aka a big honking castle in the middle of a major metropolitan centre), so there's bus loads of people who are there to do the whole touristy thing, not even knowing about the faire. Your gown is lovely, so expect to be stopped by a LOT of tourists to get your picture taken! I'm going to be there Saturday and Sunday as Maria de Salinas, Lady Willoughby and lady in waiting to Queen Katherine. Find the Queen, look slightly to her left and say hello!

As for trim, are you actually in Toronto? You might want to try Queen St. West, where there's row upon row of fabric stores. You never know what you'll find.

bellevivre

GirlChris- what an awesome character to play!!! Let me ask though- what does your Queen Katharine look like? I'm a very big fan of Katharine and no one ever casts anyone who remotely looks like her... makes me sad, as she was so lovely...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

GirlChris

Quote from: bellevivre on July 02, 2009, 06:51:10 PM
GirlChris- what an awesome character to play!!! Let me ask though- what does your Queen Katharine look like? I'm a very big fan of Katharine and no one ever casts anyone who remotely looks like her... makes me sad, as she was so lovely...

A picture is worth a thousand words, so...

Tada!

Aelynn of Georgina

OMG! I didn't read this before I attended otherwise I would have introduced myself.  I was wearing the second one I made in the same style, but it was bluish grey with lavender and dark wine.  My two daughters were with me, in princess costumes (very NON HA, but they wanted to wear something - I've promised to make them actual costumes for Waterloo), and we did bump into Queen Katherine several times.  I was so tongue tied though that I probably looked silly standing there not knowing what to say or how to say it.  I guess I really must work on developing my character and learning about proper etiquette and role playing.  No one stopped us for our picture though. (Actually someone did take a photo with my youngest daughter on a bench in the vendor area.  She was tickled pink!)
Do you have any other photos from yesterday???

Still I had a fabulous time and can't wait for Waterloo! :)