News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

North African(ish) and Middle East(ish) garb love!

Started by scarletnyx, September 18, 2014, 02:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarletnyx

So while I see a lot of European love on here, I see very little North African(ish) or African(ish) love in general. And here in Texas, clothing from a place almost as hot as ours is welcome! So, here's some African garb love ; feel free to share your Indian, Middle East, Asian ( all parts, Russia, Tibet, Nepal, etc ) and other "off beat" garb in this thread.

Alex ( husband ) and I chose these garb sets for a few reasons. My haik ( orange unmodded wrap ) is crazy cool and forgiving in this Texan heat. I'm supposed to wear pants gathering at the ankle and a slim tunic underneath it, but it feels/looks very nice just with the wrap.

I also love silver jewelry and the simplicity yet detail of a lot of the tribal jewelry we're finding. And the big one is the history! North Africa has a vibrant, colorful history - while they adapted Islam, they also melded it with their own tribal beliefs. Men in the Tuareg tribe are the ones who are veiled - they can also marry up to five wives, but if they can't take care of said wives/wives are unhappy it falls on their heads. We're slowly learning about the other tribes in that area - it's kind of alot, as you can imagine.

Alex and I, with his Tuareg outfit -

Alex and I with his more Mali empire/tradesman outfit. We're currently trying to hunt down a walking stick for him to use with this  -
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Butch

Neat! That blue Tuareg garb looks like it needs a nice curved scimitar!

scarletnyx

Quote from: Butch on September 18, 2014, 05:57:47 PM
Neat! That blue Tuareg garb looks like it needs a nice curved scimitar!

He had one ( 5 bucks from the pirate boat at TRF ) but 1. It was WAY heavier than it looked and 2. It wasn't as HA as he wanted. He now has a shamshir ( http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/88STS/SHAMSHIR_SWORD.aspx) that is way more HA and about ten times lighter.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

isabelladangelo

I have two Italian Turkish outfits I wear.  The Turkish influence on Italian fashion was pretty huge in the 16th Century.   There are several portraits from the mid 16th Century showing Italian women wearing the Turkish coats. 

This is just a selfie, but I have the Italian veil and a Turkish coat on:

Pennsic! par Isabella, on ipernity

This one is of an Italian Turkish outfit I've worn several times now and love:

DSC04178 par Isabella, on ipernity

Both are linen outfits with, typically, a silk scarf around the waist.  More info on my website regarding the making of the outfits and links to the history of the outfit. 

PollyPoPo

One other advantage of Alex's  Tuareg outfit.  With that blue I can spot him half-way across Sherwood Faire and know it's him.   ;)

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

scarletnyx

Quote from: isabelladangelo on September 18, 2014, 06:44:21 PM
I have two Italian Turkish outfits I wear.  The Turkish influence on Italian fashion was pretty huge in the 16th Century.   There are several portraits from the mid 16th Century showing Italian women wearing the Turkish coats. 

This is just a selfie, but I have the Italian veil and a Turkish coat on:

Pennsic! par Isabella, on ipernity

This one is of an Italian Turkish outfit I've worn several times now and love:

DSC04178 par Isabella, on ipernity

Both are linen outfits with, typically, a silk scarf around the waist.  More info on my website regarding the making of the outfits and links to the history of the outfit.

I love that first picture's outfit! My next outfit is going to be a devadasi, but after that I wanted to make a turkish outfit much like what you have.

Quote from: PollyPoPo on September 19, 2014, 09:43:29 AM

One other advantage of Alex's  Tuareg outfit.  With that blue I can spot him half-way across Sherwood Faire and know it's him.   ;)

Same here Polly! It doesn't work as well ( read, not at all ) at TRF on busy weekends, but at Sherwood it's a key way to find him.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen