News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I think we need a little non-period, non-H/A, fantasy/fairwear love!

Started by gem, June 30, 2009, 12:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on August 07, 2010, 09:08:34 PM
Quote from: TheAlchemistsStar on August 07, 2010, 03:22:57 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Moresca has such a great reputation.  I've been coveting a Moresca bodice for about a year but wanted to wait until Faire started to get a fitting in person.  I'm very tall and have a long torso so I've only ever worn Damsel in this Dress corsets.  I love DitD but I want to try out Moresca since they'll be at MDRF and I'll be able to try out a few different styles in one visit.  I'm leaning towards the Max 2 and Mega and I love their new Gitana skirt.  It's not H/A at all but it all looks so cool!  Now, I'm just wondering how much money I should set aside for a complete look...

between $300 to $500, depending on what you finally decide and how much you want to accessorize.  Worth every penny!  It's probably a good thing they don't come to any faires close to me.  ;D

I think Moresca is VERY well suited to long-waisted ladies.  My hubby is a big concerned over the way the bodice pushes the girls up, but the flat, elizabethan stomacher styling does that.

My final bill is 489 with shipping, and I got it a couple weeks ago.  I have a Max 2, blue Falda skirt and a brocade skirt that matches the bodice. Oh, and I HAD to get a lace blouse.  The neckline on that blouse is gorgeous, people.  Its not elastic, but has these adorable gathers,you gotta see it.  *squee*
IWG wench #3139 

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Welsh Wench on August 08, 2010, 12:32:50 PM
I am seriously considering the pirate bodice from Moresca but alas, they do not do the faires I am at.

How is the fit for someone who is small through the shoulders, small in the waist but has an abundance of...hello!

The Pirate bodice will make your ladies fluff nicely.  They have a ruffle on the shoulders to give width, and if you already have a small waist (I'm jealous) remember this bodice is famous for making you look 4" smaller than you are.   I'd do it.   Get a Molly skirt to go with.
IWG wench #3139 

Welsh Wench

Thanks, Rowen,  because I am definitely not short-waisted.
I do have a problem with the small shoulders but I think I can cope with it and have a few ideas.

I have my eye on the skirt too.

Renee, as usual, you look great!
And I recognize your shoes..... ;D
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lady Renee Buchanan

I am long waisted, too.  In Pendragon bodices, I have to purchase the "tall" version, then have a skirt band about 3 inches wide, to keep my chemise from showing between the bodice & the skirt.  But the Moresca fits me fine.  And it matches my shoes.   ;D

My dream shopping trip is to Moresca's main business address when they have one of their open houses.  It's a good thing it's in NY state, too far for a weekend road trip for me, but I can always dream.

P.S.  wildthingjew has a pirate bodice and she looks gorgeous in it.  Maybe she will post pictures of it.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Welsh Wench

That's where I have the problem too, Renee. Getting them to meet. A bit long-waisted too.

And that is why God invented hip-huggers.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

arbcoind

The clockwork bra and corset are TO DIE FOR!  Thanks for posting the link...I must resist.

Gina

DragonWing

Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

Delireus

- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

bellevivre

RE: Morescas- i utterly ADORE my Pirate. (and faerie- they're built on a similar pattern) If you have an abundance as mentioned, the pirate will support, lift, but not SQUISH the way Pendragons will. and the line nips in the waist so well- I'm just addicted.

Anyway, wanted to show off the skirt I made today, and the embellishment I'm doing to my faerie Moresca.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

LAVAGODDESSSS

Maybe I'm odd, but I like the non H/A stuff a thousand times better.

I worked really hard on getting what made ME feel beautiful and still celebrate times gone by, and I hadn't even known there was such thing as to tell someone thy weren't accurate. Honestly. I had always gotten compliments so I was happy! The last time at the fair, I did get a few "That isn't accurate." Multiple times. I was shocked and beside myself the first one.

They were so insistant that I tell them who made my items so they could tell them what to change - at this point I was really ticked!  I told them I had two friends to introduce them to in response to their poor choice in wording - one on each hand. Ugh, dont' yell at me for saying that, I realize I was rude right back. I has a temper. I didn't actually do it, I said it; I have a tad bit o'manners when I'm wearing a dress.  lol. I'm cranky when someone is rude (and that is rude, not helpful!)

Unsolicited advice is always rude. Unless it is a "Your chesties are out, completely" or "Your shoe is untied."

That is the only two things allowed to be said in reference to garb worn...oh or "your barnacles are out" (for the boys). OR if someone is obviously having an issue and needs a pin or a lacing.

If I wanna wear a birdcage veil and feathers on my head, I'm gonna!

:)

Thanks to everyone for sharing, you allgave great ideas. I'll post after this weekend my garb for this year.

Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

Kate XXXXXX

I LOVE  that steampunk house!  I want to spend my next holiday in it!

I love the skirt and the embellishments going on here.

And fantasy is good.

TheAlchemistsStar

So, I finally built up the courage and tried on a Max 2 at Moresca yesterday.  I must say, it is a  gorgeous black and green brocade (and it figures I would love the really expensive one best)!  I'm going back to MDRF tomorrow with a good friend to finish picking out everything.  Someone once suggested (not sure if it was here) going to faire in danes and heading straight to Moresca after opening to let them dress you.  I plan to do that.  Whoot! 
VA
aka "V-The Not Quite So Pure"
IWG #3874
Local 42
OTA- Order of the Two Apples
FOKTOP Member

Aniroaldawen

I just got my first bodice (which I absolutely LOVE--I have a grey Irish dress, but now I don't think it's gonna get much wear this faire season!!) from Ophelia's at KCRF this past weekend. Here's a shot of me in my fairewear! (Flower garland, blue, all kinds of doodads/pins on the bodice already, I think it counts as fairewear, doesn't it? ;-D) I'm the one in the middle who's *not* a faerie. ;-)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7356452&l=0fc2654dbb&id=681825459

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: TheAlchemistsStar on September 05, 2010, 11:16:16 AM
So, I finally built up the courage and tried on a Max 2 at Moresca yesterday.  I must say, it is a  gorgeous black and green brocade (and it figures I would love the really expensive one best)!  I'm going back to MDRF tomorrow with a good friend to finish picking out everything.  Someone once suggested (not sure if it was here) going to faire in danes and heading straight to Moresca after opening to let them dress you.  I plan to do that.  Whoot! 

I love my Moresca "frou frou" and am so glad I bought it.  I also love the Fairy bodice, but my husband didn't like it.  This weekend at Bristol, I saw a woman wearing one, not too usual, since Moresca hasn't sold at faire for several years now, and I've found that most people wear garb from the vendors at faire, unless they order online.

Anyway, I drooled over it again, and decided that the next time I am at a faire that sells them, I want one.  After all, I'm the one who has to wear it, not Steve!   And after that, a Max 2.  When I win the lottery.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich