News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I think we need a little non-period, non-H/A, fantasy/fairwear love!

Started by gem, June 30, 2009, 12:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: TheAlchemistsStar on August 24, 2011, 06:13:59 AM
Quote from: LAVAGODDESSSS on August 23, 2011, 12:32:25 PM
Alcehmists,

Isn't Damsel great? she takes things in for free when us gals lose weight. It's amazing, the turn around is pretty quick, actually. I always buy mine from her a BIT snug, because I like the gap anyways. Congrats on the weight loss!

I do love Michelle for so many reasons.  I wasn't sure how long the wait would be since she's still in festival mode but at the same time, I don't want them taken in until I lose a bit more weight (don't want to have them taken in twice).  That being said, I have 18 DitD corsets from collecting so many years, so the vast majority of my garb closet is no longer available to me. 

I'd ask her, last time I sent in a corset to be made smaller it was two quick "zips" (as in through her sewing machine) and I had it back within a week. I sent her extra money for postage and I bet you could do the same, and tell her which can wait and which cannot. I actually sent her a pre-printed 'postage' slip for those boxes they've been advertising, the small, medium, large, etc. The Medium fit most of them and it's what she ships in too.

:D
Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

gypsylakat

"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Toua Taru

Huzzah for non-period garb! Everyone has looked great. Here's one of my garbs from 2007, I went as a Celtic fox demon.

2012, I stepped it up a notch and this is probably the closest I'll ever get to "period, H/A"-wear. My Irish dress:

2013, I'll be getting back to my fox roots and I'll be sure to post my creation come October.
Leave a little sparkle wherever you go

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

gem

It's time for a reprise of this thread! Bumping for new members Gryffin Song and Mirth, and anyone else who loves Fairwear.

GryffinSong

YAY!!! Thanks ... off to look at ten pages of wonderful FUN!!!  ;D
"Be yourself, everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde

Lady Renee Buchanan

Here is the person who makes H/A aficionados shudder!

I love bright colors, bells, and flowers.  My friend made the skirt for me out of a sundress I bought at Goodwill and she cut the top off to make the skirt.  The bodice is one of the cheapie ones I bought to wear in unbearably hot weather.  I bought a belt at Walmart and hung streamers of different colored ribbons all different lengths on it.  At the bottom of the ribbons are small bells.  I put large bells on the bottom of the skirt in the black section.  I am wearing a chain of ankle bells.  My basket was purchased from Goodwill, and I bought a few of the 99 cents artificial flower stems from Walmart and hot glued the flowers around the basket.  To top it all, I am wearing a blue cap that has a pin on it.  It is a wide smiling red mouth showing all of the teeth, and one tooth has a diamond on it!  This is the symbol of Jane the Phoole at Bristol.  She is a friend of ours throughout our many years of meeting her at Bristol and other faires, and she gave Steve and I one of her favors.  If I don't wear the blue hat, I have a big straw hat that I hot glued the same flowers from the basket.  You can see me and hear me coming!

Whether it is or isn't appropriate for faire doesn't bother me a bit.  In my 33 years of attending faire, not one person has commented negatively - that I could hear - about my garb.  And if they did, I'd tell them to stuff it.  I call my garb "hysterically inaccurate" and wear what I love.

A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Wear what you love to! Have fun!

There are times even when I am dressed H/A, someone will come up to me and tell me I "got" something wrong! My response to them is "Oh REALLY?" They walk away in shame.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

GryffinSong

I love it!!! Accurate or not, I immediately see you dancing across the Alps of Switzerland, singing a merry tune!!!  ;D  Julie Andrews singing "The Hills Are Alive ..." springs to mind. :)

RowenD

I love bright colors too Lady R!
I am toying with making a Motley garb set.  I've been looking for inspirations...

Mink

Love this thread! I'd like to see some more belly dancer or gypsy-type stuff though; looks like some of the older pictures got deleted over the years.

But I'm loving the colors! And the crazy outfits! <3

The celtic fox reminded me that I actually bought a fox tail last year. But after I got it home my dog and cats went *crazy*. I'm wondering if I accidentally bought a real fox tail?...I assumed they were fake...  :-\

And Lady Renee, I'm going to have to steal your "Hysterically Inaccurate" term. Hahaha

Toua Taru

It most likely a feal fox tail if you got it from faire. I have mine stashed high up in the closet because my cat recently found mine - found him dragging it across the house and was able to get it away before there was any damage.

I agree, Lady Renee, I like the term 'Hysterically Inaccurate"

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

Mink

Quote from: Toua Taru on March 03, 2013, 04:20:26 PM
It most likely a feal fox tail if you got it from faire. I have mine stashed high up in the closet because my cat recently found mine - found him dragging it across the house and was able to get it away before there was any damage.

I agree, Lady Renee, I like the term 'Hysterically Inaccurate"

Well, shoot. Hopefully they died of natural causes?... Not like I'm a member of PETA or anything, but still. I thought it was fake. I love foxes. :(

Toua Taru

Mink - I would hope so too. I also adore foxes. I don't think there's really a way to know unless you asked the merchants. I know when I buy online I look for sellers that specifically say the animals died in a natural or humane manner. Try not to fret otherwise  :)

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

LadyAsh

"Love can make a summer fly, or a night seem like a lifetime." -Andrew Lloyd Webber

GryffinSong