News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I think we need a little non-period, non-H/A, fantasy/fairwear love!

Started by gem, June 30, 2009, 12:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonlord

Quote from: Sitara on June 30, 2009, 01:10:03 PM
None of my garb is HA.

Here I am in warrior grab that would not protect me from ANYTHING

Might not offer much protection but it is definitely distracting enough that your warrior friend could strike down any attackers while they stood there staring.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Quote from: Var Greyshadow on June 30, 2009, 04:40:31 PM
I love the fantasy side too!  Var's a Lord of the Rings Ranger after all.  But before I was Var, I went to Four Winds as Eowyn one year:

When I met you last month at Scarby, Var!!  I sensed there was an "inner Elven Warrior" in you! I was right!
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Marietta Graziella

*waving hand madly*  Pick me!  I'm fairewear!   Here is my wine bottle label bodice I made last year.  I just loved the fabric!   My hat even had a cluster of grapes attached to it!   :D

Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

renren

Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

GirlChris

gem

Lady L

Here are a few of mine.  :)

Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Kate XXXXXX

All lovely, Lady L, but I particularly love the purple witch/fairy and the Pink Pirate!   ;D ;D

LadyShadow

Not being a big fan of pink.  But I do really like the pink pirate.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

DragonWing

I haven't tried my hand at HA yet but will soon.  Here are the Fantasy costumes I have made in the past 2 years.

Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

Dinobabe

I'm asking because I don't know...
Where do we draw the line between fairewear and H/A?  Some of the clothing posted here seems more historical to me.  Even though some of my garb is not 100% H/A I still consider it historical.  I have fairewear, too, and fantasy.  I guess I'm just trying to figure out where opinion and research collide! ;)

I consider this to be historical (Even though it is a McCall's bodice. ::)  Don't worry, I'm going to redraft!).

This is definitely fairewear!

Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Kate XXXXXX

There isn't a line.  There's only a gradual slide out from the center in many directions in more than three dimensions.

Many folk start with wench/fair wear and gradually slide out to fantasy or on to pirates, or in to historical...

bellevivre

and start of us start H/A and start sliding into wench! Free handbasket rides- just dont ask where we're going  ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Celtic_Fae

"Historical" for me is looking mostly period (i.e. Renaissance garb for Ren-faires, Medieval garb for Medieval faires) and not using COMPLETELY crazy, out-of-period fabrics (like sequins or neon colors), which, like others have said, shares a very fine line with fairewear. There is no "historically accurate" for me, simply because we have threads and materials that are, if not different from back then, then at least MADE differently than they were in history by the manufacturer. When I think of fantasy, I think of fae, fauns, wizards, etc. I envy the fantasy wearers: you erase the line completely since you make it so I believe your characters COULD have existed in that time! (I do believe in faeries, I do, I do, I DO!)  ;D

bellevivre

I <3 that movie !

I think you hit the nail on the head there- very few can claim TRUE H/A... I think there are various groupsings... those who try a H/A look, those who go full 'faire ware', and the Fantasy... there are bits of all three in everyone, but I think that's a base organization for it.

(and I likes my typo and I'm keeping it!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts