News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I think we need a little non-period, non-H/A, fantasy/fairwear love!

Started by gem, June 30, 2009, 12:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gypsylakat

Love it Lady Renee!
I love those short bodices but I've been asked more than once at Faire if I was pregnant so I try to stear clear of empire waisted stuff now. Not that I care a ton but it definitely made me question my fashion choices. You pull it off so well though!
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Lady Renee Buchanan

At my age,people know better than to ask me if I'm pregnant, lol.  This is my "I'm so hot and it's so muggy, I can't stand it" garb.

I have met First Aid in almost every warm weather faire I've been to, and I prefer to be comfortable anymore.  Not on cast, so I wear what I like. 
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

gypsylakat

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on September 08, 2014, 04:45:59 PM
At my age,people know better than to ask me if I'm pregnant, lol.  This is my "I'm shoot and it's so muggy, I can't stand it" garb.

I have met First Aid in almost every warm weather faire I've been to, and I prefer to be comfortable anymore.  Not on cast, so I wear what I like. 
Question for you, I went to Sterling while I was in NY, we were with our friend who IS 8 months pregnant- is it usual for first aid to NOT give a water bottle refill? She had purchased one water bottle already but our pregnant friend needed a refill- stopped at first aid and they told her she needed to buy another one. It wasn't a terribly hot day or anything (by my Virginia standards anyway) but I'm used to the first aid tents at any event having free water... I was baffled.
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Rowan MacD

Good question gypsy-I have been to a few faires where 'free water' was discouraged, but if you look hard enough, you can find some.  In an emergency, most of the vendors have a source-even nif it's just a large cooler somewhere.   

IMHO, the Red Cross tent should ALWAYS have free tap or bottled water for the asking.  If they don't want,  or are not allowed to compete with the vendors, then they can make people consume it on site; but they should never deny someone something that is so important to basic health, to protect the profits of the food vendors. 

One of my pet peeves is the selling of bottled water for the same price as soda.  The most it should cost is a dollar a bottle-not three or four bucks.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Stuben

PARF has a water point near the First Aid area. The high dollar bottle of water urks me a bit too. I usually buy the first bottle and just keep refilling it when I need more.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Bristol's first aid has free water and free Gatorade (for electrolytes).  There are also a couple of water fountains where you can fill your bottle.  The Friends of Faire garden provides free water and Gatorade for members and day guests.

When it's really hot, I wear a wet linen towel around my neck.  The food stands and pubs are always willing to wet it down with cold water from their taps.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Serenity

Lady B - you look positively adorable in both of those fabulous outfits!!!

Sorry for the late post, I haven't been on much lately.
DoRT
OBL
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3798

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on September 10, 2014, 05:49:11 AM
Bristol's first aid has free water and free Gatorade (for electrolytes).  There are also a couple of water fountains where you can fill your bottle.  The Friends of Faire garden provides free water and Gatorade for members and day guests.

But it has electrolytes!  It's what plants crave!  Brawndo!  Now part of the FDA! (...for those that haven't seen that movie, why not?)

Anyway, I know the rules are a bit strange at MDRF - probably because a lot of people do bring in various home-brewed alcohols and they don't want to prevent that but they do want people to buy drinks as it's normally organizations like the Boy Scouts that are running the booths.  There is free water at the First aid station as well.  I tend to have issues with what to drink only because I have food allergies.  Water is okay but sodas and lemonades tend to be off the menu for me. 
Because I can't eat the food or drink any of the drinks at certain places (movie theaters!) I do sometimes bring in my own stuff in a large bag.   If I went to a faire where I knew there was nothing I can have (MDRF at least has fresh fruit so I'm okay there and PARF has some great grilled chicken), I'd probably do the same and just make sure to actually have my epi pen on me if anyone bothered to ask questions.   

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Stuben on September 09, 2014, 06:41:42 PM
PARF has a water point near the First Aid area. The high dollar bottle of water urks me a bit too. I usually buy the first bottle and just keep refilling it when I need more.
The faires that say they have absolutely NO free water on site, and years later are still not offering public water fountains are the ones that irk me.  This is just protectionism for the food vendors.
   There should be some sort of public ordinance that says if you have a hard site, with buildings and flushable toilets-then you must provide free drinking water for people and pets.    If you can set up a misting station you can provide a drinking fountain.
   Even movie theaters have water fountains, and they make nearly all their profits off the snack bar.
  Charging for water is practically the same thing as charging for toilets. 

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Stuben

Lol they do have a tip basket in the bathrooms at PARF. Sometimes there's someone sitting there by it and sometimes not. If someone is there I usually tip $1 because anyone who sits in the bathroom all day esp when its hot deserves one  ;D