News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I think we need a little non-period, non-H/A, fantasy/fairwear love!

Started by gem, June 30, 2009, 12:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir. Kindle

After seeing such wonderful, none historically accurate garb, I just had to post a pic of my wife and me in our "Pirate outfits." These are definitely not historically accurate, but they were a lot of fun to put together and wear.

Genievea Brookstone

OOO she has that lovely brocade fabric I drool over every time I go to the store hoping it will go on sale!
Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

Marietta Graziella

Ultimately it comes down to this...

It's your day at fest so wear whatever makes you get a bounce in your step, an extra wide smile on your face, and a few  :o looks for good measure.  ;) ;D
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Lady L

Quote from: Kate XXXXXX on July 02, 2009, 06:55:51 AM
All lovely, Lady L, but I particularly love the purple witch/fairy and the Pink Pirate!   ;D ;D

Quote from: LadyShadow on July 02, 2009, 08:38:44 AM
Not being a big fan of pink.  But I do really like the pink pirate.

Thank you so much! I LOVE making things for my grandaughters, as I had no sisters and no daughters, myself.  ;D It's so much fun to dress them up and play make believe!

I have to say though, the color appears more pink on my computer than it does in real life. It's really a softer tomato bisque.

Quote from: Kate XXXXXX on July 02, 2009, 11:04:30 AM
There isn't a line.  There's only a gradual slide out from the center in many directions in more than three dimensions.

Well said, Kate XXXXXX!
On the former board, I asked how historically accurate people were, or tried to be and I was told by the mod that was a hot button and not to ask that. I was curious though, because I love all kinds of garb and I don't think anyone can possibly be totally accurate. I mean, do they raise their own sheep, card the wool and spin it, then weave it into cloth and THEN handsew a garment from it? As I understand it, some breeds of sheep that they raised, are now extinct.
It would be an educational experience, but not practical to expect everyone to do that!  :o
Flax to linen is an even more laborious task, I watched it on PBS once.

I belonged to a yahoo group where they discussed thread count and the type of weave, such as 4/1, that was supposed to be accurate. As much as I find that *interesting* it is not something I strive for.

Some garb  leans more toward historical and some garb is definitely not, ie: fairies, elves, trolls, nymphs, ents, wizards, unicorns etc. Then there are all those that fall inbetween, where most of us seem to be.
Our faire doesn't claim to be historical, either, but I know some are supposed to be. I used to go to Fur Trade Rendezvous and Black Powder events, which I found very much to my liking. They were into historical re-enacting. MNRF isn't trying to do re-enacting. I think what we have is "renaissance inspired/influenced."

I just watched "Fashion Show" on Bravo, ( I prefer Project Runway) where they had a long, red dress, with a corset type belt. The judges said it was "renaissance faire wench." I thought NO WAY, not even close. So, I suppose it's a matter of interpretation. ;)
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Rhiannon

I am definitely not PC or historically accurate with my faire wear! I dress as a belly dancer and my costume is more fantasy-oriented, with some Goth touches as well (one of these days I WILL get a digital camera so that I can upload photos on the Net!). My husband is more historically accurate than I am. But as others have said, just about anything goes at the faire!

I think that if I worked at a faire I would definitely be more historically accurate. But as a faire-goer who is only there one day a year, I ought to be able to wear what I want to wear and not feel bad or embarrassed about it. And truthfully, I've always gotten compliments from people, both Rennies and mundanes, about my garb. I do make sure that I don't wear my watch or something like that to the faire. My husband does wear his glasses with his costume, but that's a necessity for him, since he can't see without them.

Kate XXXXXX

I have a delightfully dotty Regency customer who bought REAL antique specs from her favourite era and had them glazed with her prescription just to wear when she's in character!  I can't afford to go that far, and can't wear contacts, so mundane specs it would have to be.  Safety and work first, and my very necessary varifocals are costing £280 to get the new prescription put in, so special ones for the odd occasion I'm in garb of some sort just ain't gonna happen!

Historical accuracy can be had, for a price, where the materials and expertise are available.  There are several companies here in the UK who either still weave fabrics they have produced for over 200 years, or can weave reproductions from old samples.  It's a service used most by places like royal palaces and historic houses when they want to replace something they have or recreate something found during restoration.Some companies will weave as little as 20 metres of something for you, but it might end up costing a couple of hundred a metre, especially for a jacquard silk.  Out of most of our leagues!

Those of us who love historical accuracy in our makes or purchases always end up with a compromise between what is available and what we can afford.  We do as much as we can, and live with what we can't.  If people want to ge snarky about it, they can go and boil their heads.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on July 02, 2009, 07:02:19 PM
Ultimately it comes down to this...

It's your day at fest so wear whatever makes you get a bounce in your step, an extra wide smile on your face, and a few  :o looks for good measure.  ;) ;D

You hit the nail on the head!  You wear what makes YOU feel good.  Fairies, dancers, trolls, even Goths...it's all good as long as you have FUN! 
  Though I try to be reasonably 'period' I usually opt for whatever is most comfortable for what I am doing and the weather conditions.  I occaisonally forget to remove my watch but I do wear contacts, and I accessorize to the max.  I get compliments  on my garb, and have only once had a negative comment.
   That was from a snooty little teen who was quick to point out that my camera (which I had taken out of my pouch to use) was very non period..this from a kid with a NIN tattoo on his neck.  LOL.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Lady Renee Buchanan

How's this for a little not period, non- H/A?   

A leather pouch that has the face of a person, I think it's like the green man, or the guy from the trees. 

A Buchanan tartan teddy bear holding a tartan bagpipe that when you press it, plays Scotland the Brave (he is a friend of Blue, whom he partied with in TN).

All while wearing an Irish dress with a Buchanan tartan underskirt, and a hat - who knows what it belongs with - but I like it!

A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lady Rebecca

^Where did you get your pouch? I noticed one of the guys from Wolgemut wearing one yesterday, and I think they're really neat!

Lady Renee Buchanan

There was a shop last year at Bristol (Kenosha, WI), I can't remember the name.  The guy makes these pouches out of leather.  They come in different color leathers with different color eyes.  I wanted a black one with green eyes, because most of my garb has those 2 colors in it.  There is also a long handle if you want to use it as a purse. 

I am a member of The Bristol Board and posted there to see if anyone could give me the name of the shop and a website if they have one.  If I can get an answer, I'll post it here.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

NoBill Lurker

The name of the company that does those REALLY COOL pouches and other things is...

Grichels; Wrinkle in Reality

Just know that they don't do web orders, you can only get one of their items at a show that their at...

Like this cape from them that my friend Randy pick up 2 years ago...

So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

tigrlily64

I love their stuff!  My friend has a pouch that she uses as a purse throughout the year.  I'm constantly admiring it.

Allen-native

somewhat of a minstrel, going for my first time in this garb this month, weee!
I believe in love and laughter and not much else

Kate

I'm generally in hot pink (see avatar pic).  When someone tells me I'm not HA (which very few have ahd the guts to say to my face) I laugh at them.  I go to express myself and have a good time, not be nitpicky about HA.
Kate
Pink'n Penny

bellevivre

aaaaaaactually...

lol I have heard it rumored that hot pink was possible using natural dyes...

SOOOOO....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts