News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Let The Countdown Begin!

Started by Laird Fraser of Lovatt, July 02, 2009, 06:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Breandan

So I spent my afternoon making ration packs for faire... I'm weird, I admit it  ;D
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Now that the smell of campfires has been washed from my hair, all(most) of the "faire grit" has been scrubbed out of the nooks and crannies and I've had time to reflect on the events of the weekend, I only have one thing to say.

*sigh*

Over too soon.

Our guests from up north, Minnesota and Lady Vodka, had a blast and were a hit at Clan McShug.  They brought blessedly cool/cold air with them which made camp and the fire that much more pleasant.  We were up to all hours, passing around bottles of Loki until the were empty...singing, laughing and enjoying the company of our fairemily

This past weekend was a much needed respite from the real world.
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

KiltedPrivateer

Glad y'all had such excellent weather and a great time.
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

RenStarr

Quote from: Laird Fraser of Lovatt on October 31, 2017, 07:27:48 AM
Now that the smell of campfires has been washed from my hair, all(most) of the "faire grit" has been scrubbed out of the nooks and crannies and I've had time to reflect on the events of the weekend, I only have one thing to say.

*sigh*

Over too soon.

Our guests from up north, Minnesota and Lady Vodka, had a blast and were a hit at Clan McShug.  They brought blessedly cool/cold air with them which made camp and the fire that much more pleasant.  We were up to all hours, passing around bottles of Loki until the were empty...singing, laughing and enjoying the company of our fairemily

It was a good weekend indeed!  The campfires and the company were warm and friendly. 
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

NugBlazer

Quote from: Laird Fraser of Lovatt on October 31, 2017, 07:27:48 AM

*sigh*

Over too soon.

Minnesota and Lady Vodka checking in!  Thanks for the kind words, Fraser.  You and your whole clan were amazing:  generous, friendly, hospitable... just excellent people all around!  Thanks for all the safety meetings.  ;)  And um, Loki?  Yeah, I'd say we're big fans now.  So many great flavors and such smoothness... you'd never guess it's got so much booze in it.

We're already looking forward to next year!  Until then, stay safe!  And, don't hesitate to reach out if you're ever in our neck of the woods.
Well met!  Shall we commence a Safety Meeting at once?

Yrose

One more down in history and can't wait till the next. Loved seeing fairmly and laughing and talking for hours. Cooking food and plans for gatherings along the way, and baby Cornbread helps the clan feel of family.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

ragged tiger

Quote from: KiltedPrivateer on October 24, 2017, 03:39:08 PM
Howdy MacLager. Be sure to post this info in the Who, What, Where thread to be added to the list.

Thank your Sir!
the_Kilt_Troupe

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

*Waiting on Closing Sunday*  :-\
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

KiltedPrivateer

Looks like we may be going on either Saturday or Sunday ourselves.
Lover of Lady Kitara

Trillium

We camped this past weekend and had a blast!  Got out to the grounds before noon on Friday and was shocked at how many people were already there.  By Saturday morning, main camping appeared to be completely full. Did not expect that on an off weekend.  Admittedly, it has been several years since we have camped but it was shocking the amount of people there, and the sea of RVs!  We may be forced into family camping next time just due to lack of comfortable space for tents that isn't backed up to an RV with a horrendous generator.  We all had a great time camping and in faire and my sister in law and family will definitely be back with us next year.  It was her hubby's first time to faire and he loved it, their 5 y.o. daughter was a little overwhelmed at first but quickly fell in love with it too.  My one complaint was during the fire show before the fireworks we had a beefeater standing at the front rail and blocked a lot of our view the entire show. Not sure if he was there for security purposes but that was a little frustrating!
Got faerie dust?

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

I was told, by my wife's co-worker, that I had better not put away any of my garb, since he has gotten some himself.

Looks as if I'll be kilting, this Sunday.  ;D

*The wife hates it when I garb...my friends spot me easier...* ;)
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

KiltedPrivateer

Guess I'll be missing ya this year. We will be there Saturday.
Lover of Lady Kitara

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Well...another season is over.  >:(

I left faire, yesterday, a very unhappy camper.  Sullen employees...food prices through the roof...and crowded to the point that i was getting twitchy. >:(

I couldn't even enjoy the fact that I had a first time garber and a faire virgin with me... >:(

By the time I ran across my friends...outside of the Sea Devil, of course...I was ready to shake a few hands, hug a couple and get the H ell out of there.
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

KiltedPrivateer

Every man has his breaking point.

We found out that a friend of ours decided to retire from TRF work this year. He's been working with the executioner for many years. We had a really long talk with him and a lady who has been attending since '79. Both essentially telling the same story.

Then, we decided that Janet needed a new hat so obviously we went to the best hatter in the village. There we had another long talk with the proprietor, and found that after next year she will be closing up shop.

So, as they say, change is inevitable. And obviously at some point the older crew has to make way for the younger crew. But for those of who remember the way it used to be (and I can only go back 17 years), the near full turn from renaissance to fantasy is too much. I would love to have been able to see the faire in its prime, notably the '70s and '80s. And I fear it will never get back to what it was.

I would think that there would be a way for the faire to continue to make money without losing that original feel of magic. But apparently this new leadership is not aware of how to do that.

We'll see what the future brings. Perhaps our ramblings here make it back to the board meetings, doubt it. And does the board even care about the past? Or are they solely focused on becoming the Disney of the South?
Lover of Lady Kitara