News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Let The Countdown Begin!

Started by Laird Fraser of Lovatt, July 02, 2009, 06:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trillium

Wow! That is pretty shocking! I've never heard of such heavy handedness before!
Got faerie dust?

Sir Martin

Sounds over the top to me.  Assuming adjacent camps are all engaged in the same activity isn't professional at all.

KiltedPrivateer

Well, I don't know. My way of thinking, if they keep this up every weekend till the end of the season, it may actually become a decent place to camp again, because they'll scare off all the a-hats that have ruined TRF camping for us.

Sorry they messed up your night though Fraser. And the above is simply wishful thinking on my part (o:
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

Yrose

Apparently they made COB and some others shut down last night due to noise after Midnight. Seeing reports on FB pages.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

Trillium

Unfortunately most of the a-hats that I've come across have had too much alcohol, not pot...and too much of a possessive, high and mighty attitude.  ::)
Got faerie dust?

KiltedPrivateer

I have no problem with drunks, otherwise faire would be unbearable (o:  But we have had issues with party goers. The ones who are there to get high, and not just pot. And when they start coming into camp looking to score, and bothering the women folk, we draw the line. And the reports that come in every year of the worsening amount of stupid out there just keeps us away.

I'd love to see it get to where it was 20 years ago, or even back to how it was before my time, like 30 years. When everyone out there was there for the community. Not just the possibility of a free boob shot, homemade liquor and some designer drug.

Ok, end rant (o:
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

Trillium

I have no issue with good drunks, they are part of the camping fun. It's the bad drunks and other drugs that are the problem. Personally, I think pot should be legalized... I don't imbibe, I'm allergic to it, but I have no issue with it. It's the other crap that causes so many issues. Sadly every community fights with various personalities and addictions. I saw a lot of the same issues when we went to Amtgard events. You always have that small population that only wants to party hard and doesn't care about anything or anyone else. The opposite side of that is those who want to be in everyone's business and complain about how horrible they are.
Got faerie dust?

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

It's funny that they came to the back rows.  Most of the groups back in what used to be the "negatives", are older folks that may do a walk about but usually stay around their own camps.  Pretty quiet and not much in the way of wanderers.

It didn't ruin my night, per se... I just think it's BS way of policing such a large group of people. I can see using assault squad tactics if camps are full of ravers, strung out on X, acid, meth or coke but like I said, those back edge camps are usually the most trouble free ones there.

i don't care if you're smoking some dope...as long as you are respectful of those around you.  Some people are like Trillium, who get deathly sick at just the smell.  The thing that pissed me off was that no one in our camp was but they came into camp and were eyeballing every single person.  Please...90% of the people around the campfire were 2/3 of the way drunk...they could've just sat outside of camp and watched for five minutes and saved us the grief. >:(
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Yrose

Apparently they enforced the 12 o'clock amplified music rule. Some are pissed. Didn't tell them they couldn't party just no loud music. Personally I'm cool with that. The most we ever have is a bluetooth speaker or Rob on drums. I still dont think we know the whole story of our trip. Why they were doing that.

Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: Yrose on November 12, 2018, 10:20:25 AM
Apparently they enforced the 12 o'clock amplified music rule. Some are pissed. Didn't tell them they couldn't party just no loud music. Personally I'm cool with that. The most we ever have is a bluetooth speaker or Rob on drums. I still dont think we know the whole story of our trip. Why they were doing that.

Yeah...I keep having some nagging doubts about the whole thing...
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

RenStarr

Quote from: Laird Fraser of Lovatt on November 12, 2018, 06:15:04 AM
It's funny that they came to the back rows.  Most of the groups back in what used to be the "negatives", are older folks that may do a walk about but usually stay around their own camps.  Pretty quiet and not much in the way of wanderers.

It didn't ruin my night, per se... I just think it's BS way of policing such a large group of people. I can see using assault squad tactics if camps are full of ravers, strung out on X, acid, meth or coke but like I said, those back edge camps are usually the most trouble free ones there.

i don't care if you're smoking some dope...as long as you are respectful of those around you.  Some people are like Trillium, who get deathly sick at just the smell.  The thing that pissed me off was that no one in our camp was but they came into camp and were eyeballing every single person.  Please...90% of the people around the campfire were 2/3 of the way drunk...they could've just sat outside of camp and watched for five minutes and saved us the grief. >:(

Totally agree with you Fraser.  The area we stay in along with the BS crew which is right next to you guys has always been a good place to be.  Noise is never too much, a good distance away from the bon fire and all the folks that get attracted to that atmosphere,  and folks that know each other for the most part and watch out for each other.  I could care less about someone smoking a little pot either, but that's just my opinion.  Those folks generally just want to blend in, keep to themselves, and have some drinks along with their munchies.  But it is against the law and that's the rub.  But you are spot on about the law enforcement folks using assault tactics when going into a camp.  If they smell the hooch, just follow the smell in a low key way to the source and deal with that person or persons.  Don't act like it's your first rodeo by being a fool.

Quote from: Yrose on November 12, 2018, 10:20:25 AM

There's some real butthurt snowflakes over on FB about this.  They need to understand the 12 o'clock (midnight) amplified music rule has always been in place.  It's just hasn't been enforced in recent years.  They've abused the privilege and have been called out on it.  Doesn't mean they can't party, it doesn't mean they can't party all night long.  It just means that after midnight they need to tone it down noise wise as to not annoy others that choose not to stay up most or all night long.   
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

*Remembers first time camping at TRF...Passing out to "Sweet Home Alabama" and waking to "Freebird" four hours later, from neighboring camp* >:(

*At full volume*

>:( >:( >:(
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Trillium

I am so upset we won't make it out this weekend.  We had to cancel our camping trip at the beginning of the month due to car repairs and had hoped for at least a day trip.  Sadly, the money faeries are being very stingy and we have to adult instead...  Please have a drink (or 2) in my honor!!!
Got faerie dust?

Breandan

Fraser, this was my last year even daytripping TRF. I live just down the road, but it's lost that undefinable quality that makes it what I once loved. Frankly, only daytripped this year on freebie tickets with the kids. I'll see you at Sherwood :)

As for the overbearing officers- if you ever have that problem again, POLITELY find out what agency they work for and ask who their EJC is (Extra-Duty Jobs Coordinator). They may cool it or get more belligerent, but stay calm and polite and then contact their agency, speak with the EJC, and let them know about the conduct of their officers. A lot of the officers out there are decent enough sorts, but some have the idea that all ren-faire patrons are pot-smoking druggies and hippies and despise them, using any chance to cause them grief (I know this personally from the law enforcement end of things having heard some of them describe ren faire). Speaking with their EJC- again, politely and keep it factual without emotional hyperbole- will help that agency put people of a more level-headed temperament into those positions.
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: Breandan on November 25, 2018, 09:21:15 PM
Fraser, this was my last year even daytripping TRF. I live just down the road, but it's lost that undefinable quality that makes it what I once loved. Frankly, only daytripped this year on freebie tickets with the kids. I'll see you at Sherwood :)

As for the overbearing officers- if you ever have that problem again, POLITELY find out what agency they work for and ask who their EJC is (Extra-Duty Jobs Coordinator). They may cool it or get more belligerent, but stay calm and polite and then contact their agency, speak with the EJC, and let them know about the conduct of their officers. A lot of the officers out there are decent enough sorts, but some have the idea that all ren-faire patrons are pot-smoking druggies and hippies and despise them, using any chance to cause them grief (I know this personally from the law enforcement end of things having heard some of them describe ren faire). Speaking with their EJC- again, politely and keep it factual without emotional hyperbole- will help that agency put people of a more level-headed temperament into those positions.

I was so disgusted with the whole situation, at TRF, I didn't bother going, yesterday.  I gave my ticket to my family, threw some money at them and told them to have a good time...this is the first time I have missed Closing since 2007.  It wasn't just the heavy handedness of the LEOs working the camp...it's the soul being sucked out of the place for a buck.  Has anyone told George that he can't take it with him...or is it the day to day to doing it, to secure themselves a gravy train, once George goes to terrorize the vendors in the sky?  :-\ ???

http://trfwtf.com/

My brother will being coming for next AHE...and I promised Nug that I'd garb up and go in with him and Lady Vodka.  ;)

One last chance. >:(
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God