News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hoop Skirt

Started by dinkywench, May 18, 2009, 03:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinkywench

So I finally broke down and bought a hope skirt...but I have never worn one. Do you wear it by itself under the skirt or do you add a petticoat or some kind of slip?

DonaCatalina

Hoop skirt which goes under bum roll
which goes under chemise (I'll get some argument here)bum roll

which goes under skirt
which goes under overdress.

I wouldn't want to add a slip to all that.
But if you afraid that the hoop wires will show through,
you can sew some ruffled lace to the hoopskirt that will just cover the wires.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

dinkywench

Yikes so where does my portable air conditioner go?

Quote from: DonaCatalina on May 18, 2009, 03:10:41 PM

which goes under skirt

DonaCatalina

That what I thought the hoop skirt was for?
:D
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Margaret

*snort*  It sounds funny, but a hoop skirt is a great air conditioner.  One day I was standing in the shade just swinging my skirts lightly back and forth.  Someone asked what I was doing.  "Creating an up draft my friend, creating an up draft."   ;D

Anyway - I seldom wear a petticoat over my hoops however, I may wear a light cotton one along with the new lighter skirts I am making just so the hoop wire does not show through.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

It's not really that bad and my faire is in the high 90's to low 100's.

As Margaret said the hoop skirt asks like an air conditioner. While many or most of us wear bloomers, shorts, or bike shorts it's not bad under there and the hoop skirt spreads out the material on your legs thus causing it to breath better.

Now a modern hoop shirt with all the crinolines that some wedding dresses need to make them flair out more and hold their shape more, are hotter than heck.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Lady Toadflinger

Ha!  Perhaps you all were joking when you mentioned a portable air conditioner, but let me tell you what I saw at the Fair Oaks (California) Tudor Fayre a few years ago.  This faire is always hot, but that year it was over 100 degrees. I was helping at the information booth when a lady in noble garb  stopped to chat about the heat.  She was wearing hoops and showed me how she kept cool: a battery operated fan hung from her waist!!! ;D ;D Amazing! ;)
keeper of the royal menagerie

McGuinness

True story....

In our Ultimate Joust show during one school day last year, I was on stage at the start of our big melee fight. While trying to get out of the way of the fights, I tripped on my skirt and fell face forward (getting a sprained ankle and wrist in the progress, but thats another story). When I fell, my lovely hoops, I'm told, flipped straight up. My back was to the crowd as I fell so a few thousand little kiddies got a lovely view of my gold-trimmed bloomers

The moral of this story? Wear SOMETHING under your hoops! Most of our ladies on cast wear bloomers, but yoga pants or shorts or something will work. Otherwise, could be embarassing...

;D

LadyShadow

Thank you for the advice.  Knowing my luck I would have done that with out something under.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Lady Rebecca

Quote from: DonaCatalina on May 18, 2009, 03:10:41 PM

which goes under skirt

The chemise should be the base item (if you're talking about the long, knee-length chemise, as opposed to hip length). People from the actual Renaissance would have never taken them off, save once in a long while to wash them.

To the OP, does your hoop have the attached ruffles already? If it doesn't, I would say definitely wear some sort of petticoat over it (or attach ruffles to it). Mine has the ruffles already, but I still wear a petticoat over it. I like the fullness, and since it's away from the legs, it really doesn't add any additional heat.

But yes, wear bloomers!