News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Little shop in Mackinaw City

Started by Magister, May 20, 2008, 04:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magister

I was just up in Michigan a week ago taking my Grandmother up to Grand Marais, and we stopped in Mackinaw City as is the family ritual for fudge and caramel corn.  While there we decided to stretch our legs a bit and walk around.  I ran across this little shop that just seemed to out of place to believe.

The shop went by the name, "Enchanted Knights".  It had a small selection of Chinese made renaissance clothing (at seriously scary prices), knick knacks, a ton of imported swords, and even some roleplaying games.  It seemed a grab bag of "stuff" all around ren, and fantasy.  Their website seems to be: http://www.enchantedknights.com

The gals working in the shop were nice, and all dressed in some semblance of garb to one degree or another.

I know we have a few, people on the board from the area.. one of you who lives and works on Mackinaw Island..

I just have to wonder how a shop like this stays in business.  As far as I know the nearest faire would be MIRF down by Detroit, or maybe one of the newer faires that have opened in the last few years.  Do you locals frequent this shop?  Do they work faires at other times during the year? 

In the town of fudge, and caramel corn I just can't see how a "fantasy" based store could garner around tourist interest.
Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade

maelstrom0370

It's a seasonal store, much like everything else in Mackinac City, closing in late October and opening again in late April.  They do quite a bit of business during the summer months. The tourists here will buy damn near anything!! My girlfriend and I stop in often (mostly just to browse) on days when we just wanna get off the Island and "bum around" and the store usually has quite a few customers everytime we go.  I don't know if I'd recommend it to a "hard core" Rennie (Re: the prices and the selection...although I DID buy my first garb shirt there)) but for just killing time and maybe taking the edge off your "Faire Jones", it's not too bad.  To my knowledge, none of the people working there work at, or even attend, any Fairs.  Once when we were shopping there, I brought up buying garb and the woman looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.  A lot of the beaded jewelery there is hand-made by a local woman who's really helpful.  I bought my girlfriend a bracelet to go with her garb and it broke the 1st time she tried it on.  The woman not only made her a new one but made a pair of matching earrings for her for free.  (WOW! That sounds like a shameless plug!)
Oh! and they usually have some pretty cool (and somewhat obscure) collectable swords.  Last year they had The Thundercats Sword and this year I see they have Snake Eyes sword.
Hope that helped!

Magister

maelstrom:

Very cool info.  Yep.. when we stopped in it's so early in the season we were the only people there.  I think we were probably the only tourists in the city!

The girls were nice.. only one was wearing garb that I would expect to see on a "hard-core" rennie at a faire.  The others were.. "costumed up".

The sword room was interesting.  I'm not a big fan of collectible swords, but they seemed to have quite a few.

I was just curious.. I didn't expect to run in to a shop like that there.  Was just a surprise.

Magister

Ladyfair

Hey Mags...... next time your in town..... ya drove right by us!!!  Call and we can meet up next time! 8)
Lady Penny Clan Sutcliff - MI Chieftess
2013 Penny family Gathering Sept 7-8
Ren Vet
IWG Wench #3523

Magister

Ladyfair:

I actually thought of you guys while I was there.  I received your "event invite" on renspace while I was there, but unfortunately it was for the day we were flying back to Florida (May 11th).

It was a whirlwind trip.  I had been promising my grandmother for years to take her to Grand Marais to where my grandfathers ashes were scattered.  The stars finally aligned enough for us to make the trip.

We flew in on a Thursday, and I drove the 7 hours from Detroit to Grand Marais. We started off with 4 days there.. drove down to Frankenmuth where we spent 2 days, then another 5 in Detroit with family.  Over 1400 miles on the rental car.  Hardly any time to breathe.. but still a wonderful trip.

This was my first time back to Michigan in more than 10 years... If I ever get back and have a little time to relax you can bet I'll let you know.
Magister

Poldugarian Warrior

That's a nice little shop,got a few cool dragon t-shirts there. Bought, my Danforth mug from there. I love that 36oz. it holds. I'm from down here in the suburbs of Detroit. Southgate, you may have heard of it if not I know why. It's not very big, but it's right next to Taylor if you've heard of that city then you'll know exactly where I'm at. I was on vacation up there at Mackinac(w) City and was going throught all the shops and found a sort of Spencer's Gifts like shop across the street from Enchanted Knights and bought a cheapy Robin Hood Long Sword and matching dagger. Then another gift shop about a few doors down from Enchanted Knights carries a whole wall full of swords and daggrs, plus those cool replica pistols, evry pirate or Renaissance pistolier is looking for because they carry the wheel-lock type along with the flintlock. And I bought all my pistols there. So I say if your vacationing near Mackinac(w) City or if you just want to go for a long drive and listen to some tunes, which I don't see myself even doing for a while until the fuel prices come down, then cruise on up there, and if your a rennie/patron of renfests that garbs up then it may be worth your while.

Poldugarian Warrior

maelstrom is that a new quote of your's? I don't remember reading it before. Very good, for some odd reason that part of the movie always fascinated me when I was a kid, the weird grisly images in this sort of psychedilic dream world seemed so out of place. I still like it and the lines and quote are perfect, and sometime life feels just like that.

maelstrom0370

Quote from: Poldugarian Warrior on May 29, 2008, 08:29:09 AM
maelstrom is that a new quote of your's? I don't remember reading it before. Very good, for some odd reason that part of the movie always fascinated me when I was a kid, the weird grisly images in this sort of psychedilic dream world seemed so out of place. I still like it and the lines and quote are perfect, and sometime life feels just like that.

Thanks for noticing!!  It is and always has been one of my favorite movies.  As with you, that scene has always fascinated me as well.  The worm crawling across the guys face, the chicken being beheaded, all of it just so out of place, yet seeming to fit right into the movie!!

Magister

Pol:

I know right where Southgate is.  Infact I probably could have hit your place with a rock.  My cousin lives right there in Riverview.  I stayed at the Motel 6 just down the road from the Southgate Mall by the expressway.  I used to live in Taylor many years ago.  Also, Detroit, Westland, Livonia... It was nice to visit.. but you know.. I can't say I really miss the place.  I do miss the weather, trees, seasons...

I think that little sword / pistol replica place is part of Enchanted Knights.  I know at least the stores are connected on the inside.  I walked right through from the "games" to the swords.  You know I must be blind, but I didn't see the pistols.

Magister

Poldugarian Warrior

Yeah, downriver ain't all that great these days, Southgate Mall is becoming run down with only a few shops in it, if you remember when Builder's Square/HQ and Best Buy were in that other strip mall, well they're all gone. And there's not much to do around here. I'm still savin my cash hopin to move out to the country one day, then I'll at least have some land to work or do some period shooting or archery or sword training when I want without some neightbors thinkin I'm nuts.  The seasons are okay, at least you don't have to go through winter. I hate it. Well, take it easy out there.

serenamoonsilver

Quote from: Poldugarian Warrior on June 03, 2008, 06:27:36 AM
Yeah, downriver ain't all that great these days, Southgate Mall is becoming run down with only a few shops in it, if you remember when Builder's Square/HQ and Best Buy were in that other strip mall, well they're all gone. And there's not much to do around here. I'm still savin my cash hopin to move out to the country one day, then I'll at least have some land to work or do some period shooting or archery or sword training when I want without some neightbors thinkin I'm nuts.  The seasons are okay, at least you don't have to go through winter. I hate it. Well, take it easy out there.

Lol, I live out in the country (down in Newport) and we drive up to Taylor/Southgate and the Southland Mall all the time because its much better than the wasteland of a mall we have down here (Frenchtown).  And at least Best Buy isn't gone, it just moved to mall.  However, I was kinda sad to see Media Play go....

Poldugarian Warrior

Yeah, Southland is okay I guess. But, I spent alot of my teen years there and so it's gotten old. The only reason I go there any more is Border's Books. Frenchtown Mall was cool when the major store was Hills in the place of Target now. They had toys you couldn't get else where and that's when I was little. I lived in Carleton, just outside of Monroe until I was 9 yrs old, then we moved to Southgate. Yeah, I loved Media Play, and I don't know if you remember the old days of Harmony House in the Southgate Mall. That was a cd/album shop, that you coudl get just about evrythin there, and even a Ticketmasterwhich was a plus. Well, hope your enjoyin your time in the country I grew up in a trailer park in Carleton, but the atmosphere of that whole county of Monroe and Lenawee is just different and tranquil. That's why I want to get back. But, this time I want a large home, and lots of land or small home and lots of land, but land is a must.

jaunvie

serenamoonsilver

I do remember the Harmony House and had gone there for tickets!  I'm also familiar with Carleton, as my work often takes me out to Airport High School.

And omg, I was just in Trenton two days ago!

Poldugarian Warrior

Trenton's a nice town, sort of like Wyandotte, but more relaxed. I usually fish on the old slips on the river down there by Elizabeth Park. "Slips" as in the roads end at the top of a large hill, then the road continues down to the water at a slope, as would've been customary construction for slips that ships were built in at the turn of the century in Trenton.