News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ren. Festival in Toronto, July 4-6, 2009

Started by PeterKBurian, July 05, 2009, 10:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterKBurian

It's on this weekend, at a castle right in Toronto, and it's a nice event.

I also posted a photo of this event in the Photos section.

It's at http://picasaweb.google.com/pkburian/RENFESTIVALTORONTO2009?feat=email#5355000370923306370

Peter www.peterkburian.com

renfairephotog

mod Moved one copy of thread from Photo section to here
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Lady Anne Clare

I'm going to Casa Loma tomorrow with my mom.  I'll be taking lots of pics if my camera doesn't crap out on me.
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)

GirlChris

I just finished my two days there (back to work tomorrow!)

With all those stairs, PLUS the Baldwin Stairs to actually get up to the castle, it's a work out but it's fun!

Aelynn of Georgina

Well met, my friends!

I attended yesterday with my two daughters.  It was my very first RF ever and I think I'm hooked.  I'm already making plans for the Waterloo faire in September.
Unfortuneately I didn't have a camera with me, so I didn't get any photos (I am very sad about that now), so if anyone attended on Sunday from 2pm to 5pm, and might have photos of people in the crowd, please post them because I just might be in one or some. 

Is there a forum to ask questions and discuss proper ettiquette and how to engage in the role playing at these faires?  I was in several situations where faire folk addressed me (being that I was costumed, they probably assumed I knew what to say or do), but I really did not know how to respond.  I really wanted to, but it was hard to think on the spot.  I'd like to be better prepared for Waterloo.

*smiles*

GirlChris

Hi, Aelynn!

There's no rules about what to do when performers talk to you. Do what makes you feel comfortable. If you feel comfortable with curtseying, calling people "milord" or "milady," then go for it! If you feel more comfortable with "Hi, how are you?" then that's what you should say.

If you do feel like interacting, ask the performers who they are, what they've been up to today. Ask if there's anything you should see or do. Ask if there's any gossip or rumors. Ask what they think of other characters. Ask about historical events. Ask about something you saw on The Tudors last night. Questions in general are great.

When you're comfortable with questions, you might want to think about how you'd answer the questions yourself. Who are you? Why are you in this particular village/castle? Have <em>you</em> heard any rumors? If one cast member tells you a rumor, spread it to the next!

Don't stress about it, just say whatever pops into your head.