News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Silver Leaf Renaissance Faire

Started by Lavender, May 20, 2008, 06:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

max and kate

Quote from: max and kate on June 08, 2008, 10:19:36 AM
Quote from: max and kate on May 31, 2008, 10:33:02 AM
It's possible we'll show up July 11th, plans are being set as I speak. Max
Make that July 12th and it looks like we will be there that day.
We never made it, looks like we won't make it this year, money is to tight at the moment, have fun.
Brethren of the Great Lakes
Outlanders
Castleteers
Irish Penny Brigade
M'Cracks

L Dale Walter

Quote from: Pipere on July 17, 2008, 02:28:17 PM
Somebody was running about SL on sunday looking vaguely official taking pictures- anybody know anything about that? (I need to learn to get in the habit of taking down these people's names)

Probably.  I know the Battle Creek Enquirer was there, and we have two staff photographers as well.

Can you give me more of a description?

L. Dale Walter
AGM - SLRF

Pipere

Uhhhh wow. Let's see, it was a guy, a few different cameras, and had some sort of sash on him that I remember had 'official' on it. Dark haired I believe.

More echinacea for me, I'm usually good with these sorts of details....
Margraffin Katya Ghuttzout- Vulgarian overlady
Balquis al-Quasim- Turkish assassin
& the lazy college student Jeni

Kathleen MacLeod

Silver Leaf was the first ren faire I ever went to and it remains my favorite. I went two separate weekends this year and thought it was just great. Meg in particular was fantastic as Queen Grace, and the jousters just draw me like a moth to a flame. I liked it so much I volunteered for next year :)

Dale, I think I talked to you. Were you the man who was always with the queen and her court?
Sometimes you can't wait for the storm to pass; you have to just get out there and dance in the rain.

L Dale Walter

Quote from: Erin Kathleen MacLeod on August 09, 2008, 05:25:04 PM
Dale, I think I talked to you. Were you the man who was always with the queen and her court?
That was most likely William de Mandiville, played by Ken Davis.  I was in management blue shirt from 10-5, and then played King Richard at the end of the day in the chess match.

Meg is great as queen, isn't she?

L. Dale Walter

Kathleen MacLeod

Thanks, it must've been William, then.

She's fantastic. Everything about her--her manner, her accent-- it was all just perfect for the part. She radiated Queenly character. It took me almost two entire days to realize that she seemed so familiar because she was a Tartan Terror.

If I called and left a message at the phone number that was in the program in the 'volunteer for the 2009 season' ad, who would it go to?
Sometimes you can't wait for the storm to pass; you have to just get out there and dance in the rain.

L Dale Walter

QuoteIt took me almost two entire days to realize that she seemed so familiar because she was a Tartan Terror.
Yes, but did you also know that in past years she has been a "Knotty Knicker" as well.  If you want to get in the WAY BACK machine, she was the Queen of the Gypsies circia 2000 at Michigan Renaissance Festival.  She has a resume as long as your arm, and we were very glad to have her.

QuoteIf I called and left a message at the phone number that was in the program in the 'volunteer for the 2009 season' ad, who would it go to?
It would most likely go to the hotline number for a message that would be forwarded to Cal and Alicia Richmond, or you could e-mail them directly at bardweaverofdreams@yahoo.com They are really great people, and coordinate all of the volunteers.

Hope that helps,

L. Dale Walter

Kathleen MacLeod

Wow... impressive. Did she just take the summer off from touring with the Tartan Terrors so she could do Silver Leaf, or what?

And I've been wondering about the dynamics behind the scenes. You, a Knight of Iron, obviously know Meg, but do you know all of the Tartan Terrors or do you just know her so well because she's been otherwise involved with Silver Leaf? Seeing as at least some of the same performers keep coming back, do they all know each other and just pick up where they left off year after year?

L Dale Walter

QuoteWow... impressive. Did she just take the summer off from touring with the Tartan Terrors so she could do Silver Leaf, or what?

Sort of.  Tartan Terrors can function without Meg onstage.  They have other performers that fill in.  I guess the 7 weeks of work between CRF and SLRF made it worth her while to do so.

>And I've been wondering about the dynamics behind the scenes. You, a Knight of Iron, obviously know Meg, >but do you know all of the Tartan Terrors or do you just know her so well because she's been otherwise >involved with Silver Leaf?

I have known Meg since 2000, and worked with her in various capacities since then at 4 different shows.  I know Ian, her husband from TT, but not the other members very well.  In this business paths cross all of the time, and you keep track of talent.   

When we needed a new queen we had 4 people in consideration, and Meg was one.  She is young, energetic, had quite a bit of experience, and I knew that she would integrate well as many of my Knights of Iron had worked with her both at MRF as well as BARF and Sarasota.  On top of this, our client at Castle Farms really wanted her as queen after reviewing the other choices.  So we made the deal, and that was that.

>Seeing as at least some of the same performers keep coming back, do they all know each other and just >pick up where they left off year after year?

Some we talk to throughout the year, or see at other shows.  It's like any work enviroment, some people you like and keep in touch with, others you see at work only.

LDW

Cateyes

Has Silverleaf picked a new fight group?  It sucks that Dale and his group aren't going to be there.  They were always so good and stayed in character so well.  The fight group was the royal court of that faire weren't they?  Are they going to set up a permenant court and then just hire a stage combat group? I was just wondering out loud and hoped someone might know.

SLRF Ent Director

Quote from: Cateyes on November 03, 2008, 01:16:39 PM
Has Silverleaf picked a new fight group? 

Silver Leaf is still accepting proposals from fight groups for the 2009 season.  I've asked for a proposal from Her Majesty's Royal Guard but have not received one as of today.  If you know of a group that would like to work with Silver Leaf, please let me know!

L Dale Walter

>Has Silverleaf picked a new fight group?

::Putting on my other hat::

Knights of Iron are currently developing a two man stage show that features swordfighting, magic, comedy, and an ending unlike ANYTHING you have ever seen at a ren fest.  I can't give it away yet, but it is pretty extreme!

Show will premier at SLRF this summer, and features the return of Percard and D'Kahn, two of the villians from The Legend of King Arthur. 

Stay tuned for more developments, and watch for a MAJOR new show in 2010!!!

L. Dale Walter
Director
Knights of Iron

Poldugarian Warrior

This Sunday, yesterday as a matter of fact. I attended and had a good time. I hadn't laughed or felt that happy for a while. I met you L. Dale Walter (Percard) I was dressed as a monk that day, and you were standing on a rock/stump tryin to get people to your show. And for the first time seeing it myself and with my family it was very good. I liked how you pointed out the anachronisms and played along with those. And your guys' garb was spot on for the act as well, it's truly what ruffians/rogues of that time would've worn. All in all, the whole faire though was enjoyable. All the shows were entertaining as well, I just hope it keeps growing and gets more acts so that it will be a bigger festival which will serve western Michigan, just as the Holly site has for the east. I'm here in Southgate (Downriver) a suburb of Detroit and so Silver Leaf is quite a voyage, but if it keeps getting bigger and has more acts it will be a annual voyage for me to get to both fests. They even had blades and equipment that was affordable, even though I don't need any at this time, I will certainly look at Silver Leaf for my next blade/equipment purchase. So keep up the good work L. Dale Walter and tell the others whom you work with, or around they are doing a great job as well.

L Dale Walter

Thanks for the kudos!

That is one of the nice thing about SLRF, most of the vendors prices are lower than some other faires, and there are more small merchants.

Quote from: Poldugarian Warrior on July 20, 2009, 05:19:48 PM
I liked how you pointed out the anachronisms and played along with those.

Well, when your show has flaming chainsaws in it, you have to do something... ;-)

It's always funny to me what anachronisms people accept, and which ones freak them out.  Pretzels displayed in plexiglass cases, Pepsi in plastic bottles, corndogs are fine with most people, but carry non-period weapon and people lose it.

Bottom line is people come to have fun.  If they are having fun, then, what the heck, go with what makes them happy...

LDW

squiregaby

May I beg a favor from someone attending Silver Leaf this weekend? :D  I need somone to deliver a message to the Jousting Knights there :D...as well as Natty of Knotty Knickers
Squire Gaby
Squire to the Knights of the most Noble Cause