News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A practical question for research purposes

Started by Bryan1108, July 07, 2009, 01:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan1108

Having seen shops filled with weapons, I have to wonder how one transports them from one festival to another. Is a van enough? Do you need a straight truck? Are there any laws about transporting so many weapons that can mess you up if you're pulled over?

Thanks.  :)

Breandan

depends on what kinds of weapons. Firearms fall into two completely different categories (based on whether they are modern or antiques/replicas) than blades, but I assume you are referring to medieval weapons so I will stick with that. The laws vary from state to state, but for practical CYA purposes, it is best to have them boxed, the boxes in a trunk or the back of a truck/SUV, and for you to have your sales license/tax permit/business license/whatever handy and a good, solid explanation in the event you get pulled over. The only time it will be an issue is if there is some other factor such as open container, someone aboard having warrants, being on probation, or being a felon. I have been pulled over with a full load of weapons before, in WA and TX, and never had any problems (other than the DPS trooper here in Texas thinking the swords were the neatest thing he'd ever seen, and keeping me on the side of the road for thirty minutes asking about them, the renaissance festival, and so on, which I didn't mind... education is my goal  ;D ). The only time I ran into an issue was a few years back when I was pulled over at a sobriety checkpoint, asked to pop my trunk, and had a bundle of swords, axes, AND two assault rifles. I explained I was coming from work (and had to pull out my commission card and PPO card) and heading to the ren faire, that the swords were for sale, and he was mollified.

Moral of the story: like alcohols, don't mix your weapons  :D
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me