News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Accessories

Started by tigrlily64, July 07, 2009, 01:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigrlily64

I am almost finished with the basic pieces of my garb, which brings me to accessories.  I know I definitely want a belt and at least one pouch, but it's harder to find quality items that aren't leather.  (I'm vegetarian.)  Any recomendations on where to get these items, or an easy way to make them?  I would also like to wear a hat, but I'm not a huge fan of mob caps.  Right now my staples are a plain chemise, a light green skirt and a sky blue bodice.  I'd like to be a step up from a peasant, but this is also more fairewear than H/A.  All help is appreciated!

Tygrkat

The pouch I carry I made out of some black velveteen that I bought as a remnant, some embroidered silk brocade from a purse that I de-constructed & re-purposed (I used the magnetic closure from the purse as well) , and for the 'belt' portion I used lengths of 1 1/2" wide heavy ribbon that I also got in a $.99 bag of ribbon remnants...

My bum roll (to help the skirts 'poof out' more in the back - not that I need the help  :P ) I made from an above-the-knee sock that had a huge hole in the heel, and was missing it's mate. I stuffed it with all the fabric scraps too small to be useful and old stocking with too many runs in them. I stitched both ends shut, sewing in lengths of the same ribbon remnants (a little thinner than the pouch, for comfort's sake)

I'll post pictures when I get home from work. I'm re-building my girdle & bodice jewlery for this weekend (the first try was too long & the clasp was all wrong & broke halfway through the day) I found a jewlery making kit at a discount store for under $15, found some pearl necklaces at yard sales & thrift stores to take apart for the beads, & got additional wire & findings (clasps, etc.) at JoAnn's  :)
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

bellevivre

I usually make a corresponding pouch from scraps of whatever garb I just made.

As for a belt- heavy drapery cord (the pretty twisted kind) can make a very nice belt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

gem

If you're looking to be "a step up from peasant," then making your accessories from pretty cloth instead of leather will be a good visual cue for that.  Also, try a snood/coif/caul for your hair.  A basic cloth one is beyond easy to make (see here; I made one entirely by hand in about 20 minutes), but your fair probably has merchants that sell the crocheted variety (or try Lady MacSnood).  Also, check the accessories department at discount stores like Walmart for pretty little bags or pouches (even a drawstring jewelry pouch might work).

Var Greyshadow

"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Serenity

Jannelle has wonderful purses that do not have leather:
http://www.somethingelsestudio.com

Also, for a belt there are lots of chain and gemstone belts on EBay.  I got a beautiful silver chain with green glass stones for my garb.  Good Luck!
DoRT
OBL
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3798

Rani Zemirah

Quite often at Hancock's or JoAnns they will have upholstery samples that come in the nice big 12"x12" squares, or even 14"X14" in some cases, and I find they're perfect for making beautiful pouches, and can usually be bought for right around $1.  If the material is thick enough they don't even have to be lined, although it's nice to have that extra layer for a more finished look.
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede